Howa 1500 308 accuracy issue

Dremeled out some material around both action screws and behind the lug. Drilled recessed holes to allow bedding to adhere. So the back tang is bedded. Then then recoil lug bottom and behind by the mag well. And about a 1/2 in front of the recoil lug.
I just read this again and realized it may mean something different than I originally thought. Where exactly is the bedding around the recoil lug?

I just read this again and realized it may mean something different than I originally thought. Where exactly is the bedding around the recoil lug?
The is bedding to the bottom of the recoil lug and rear of the lug where the flat is and then at the tang. I have clearance either side of the action and lug as well as the front side of the recoil lug.

The is bedding to the bottom of the recoil lug and rear of the lug where the flat is and then at the tang. I have clearance either side of the action and lug as well as the front side of the recoil lug.
Okay. On recoil lug, I bed the back and sides only. The bottom of lug gets a smidge of relief by placing a layer of tape on it before bedding. Front of lug gets no bedding. If it were mine, Id dremel some of bedding away from entire bottom of lug and do a quick retest rifle before sending it in or rebarreling. There was discussion over on AS about this and someone had brought up the possibility that the bottom of recoil lug touching bedding could potentially alter harmonics. I just know the general consensus was to provide relief on bottom of lug.

So I spoke with Howa today and they said to return it however they advised me it would be 4 months tell they would get to it. Do I send it and wait or get a prefit barrel from a reputable company and though it on there. Spoke with criterion and I can have one here in a week.
@ rafterjg,..
Get, the New Criterion Barrel but, WATCH the Contour chosen, carefully, so not to get, too Heavy of a Barrel.
A 24 " Medium Heavy, SS "Sporter" bbl ( w/ .705 dia muz ), will end up being, apprx. a 9.5 Pound Rifle ( Stock/ Scope Dependent on, choice of, both ).
My 6 XC Rem 700, weighs, exactly 10 pounds with, THIS Contour barrel, Braked / Scoped.
Most Criterion Barrels, shoot Awesome IF, head spaced and Bedded, correctly.
Who's doing the Head spacing ? ( You or, GS ?? ). I set the HS on, 2 New, 6 XC Norma, cases, then checked HS with, Go / No Go gauges, on mine.
Don't forget to Bed about, 1.5 inches of, the Barrels "Shank" portion and be sure to Relieve a bit, around, the "Nut" area.
I use, 1 layer of Electrical Tape, first ( linear W/ barrel starting 1.5" from Lug, down the Center line of barrel ) then, One Layer of Duct Tape again, linear with, Barrel over, the elec tape and up the sides of, bbl, to allow for adequate, "Free Float" space, around barrel ( then Wax up Barrel, over Tape & bed ).
As a Former Gunsmith of 25 years, I've bedded at least, a couple of Hundred Rifles, in my Life and this method will make for, an accurate Rifle.
Feel free to ask me Questions and Jim at, Northland will also answer questions and, Help you.
Take your Time and, you will have, a great shooting Rifle, when done,.. Good Luck !

Last edited:
@ rafterjg,..
Get, the New Criterion Barrel but, WATCH the Contour chosen, carefully, so not to get, too Heavy of a Barrel.
A 24 " Medium Heavy, SS "Sporter" bbl ( w/ .705 dia muz ), will end up being, apprx. a 9.5 Pound Rifle ( Stock/ Scope Dependent on, choice of, both ).
My 6 XC Rem 700, weighs, exactly 10 pounds with, THIS Contour barrel, Braked / Scoped.
Who's doing the Head spacing ? ( You or, GS ?? ). I set the HS on, 2 New, 6 XC Norma, cases, then checked HS with, Go / No Go gauges, on mine.
Don't forget to Bed about, 1.5 inches of, the Barrels "Shank" portion and be sure to Relieve a bit, around, the "Nut" area.
I use, 1 layer of Electrical Tape, first ( linear W/ barrel starting 1.5" from Lug, down the Center line of barrel ) then, One Layer of Duct Tape again, linear with, Barrel over, the elec tape and up the sides of, bbl, to allow for adequate, "Free Float" space, around barrel ( then Wax up Barrel, over Tape & bed ).
As a Former Gunsmith of 25 years, I've bedded at least, a couple of Hundred Rifles, in my Life and this method will make for, an accurate Rifle.
Feel free to ask me Questions and Jim at, Northland will also answer questions and, Help you.
Take your Time and, you will have, a great shooting Rifle, when done,.. Good Luck !
Considering I screwed myself by not trying before modifying, do you think having my gs install the barrel and then set it in the chassis and shoot it first. If it shoots well then leave it. Hate to make more work like I already have.

@ rafterjg,..
Also I'm looking at the 6.5x47 lapua in the 24" heavy target. Any suggestions on it

Considering I screwed myself by not trying before modifying, do you think having my gs install the barrel and then set it in the chassis and shoot it first. If it shoots well then leave it. Hate to make more work like I already have.
Yes. bedding can be super helpful, AND is often not necessary. I have several unbedded rifles that shoot lights out. Stick on a barrel, shoot the crap out of the rifle before you screw with anything else. Chasing problems before they exist is a good way to drive yourself crazy.

Also I'm looking at the 6.5x47 lapua in the 24" heavy target. Any suggestions on it
I like and Own, a 6.5 Creedmoor, myself. The 7 mm-08, also has, a lot of great Bullets and Brass, choices available. Most gunshops will have both and they will be around for, a Long Time. But, the 6 x 47 is also, a good choice. All 3, are very good choices for, LR Shooting.
The Medium Heavy, 24" Criterion, Sporter barrel that I have, is plenty stiff with, the .705 dia Muzzle. for, a 9.5 to 10 Pound Rifle ( My 6 XC, shoots 107 gr. SMK's, in the 2's and Low 3's with, Norma Brass, F-210 M's, StaBall 65 and using, Forster Dies.
You need to decide just how Heavy of, a Rifle you want to pack around but, for Me, 10 lbs is,.. just Right / enough.
But lots of Shooters like, .800- .850 dia Muzzles and, 13 Pound Rifles.
IF, you are Not familiar with, ( or have, the Tools ) for head spacing, a Criterion "RemAge style" Pre-Fit barrel, I'd have, a good GS to do that, for you. Probably NO need to Bed, the Shank Portion, right away ( I personally like, the action / Bbl, "support" from, bbl Shank to Tang being, Bedded then, Free floating the barrel. If you want a Brake be sure to have the end of Barrel, Threaded.
Forget the Past mistakes and, look at it as,.. a Learning Experience.

Last edited:
Might be a good idea,.. ^^^
Break in, the New Barrel carefully ( No Tubb, "Rough grit",.. Bullets, needed ).
Shoot 5 Clean, shoot 10, Clean again and,.. GO !
I clean my Rifles, every 60 to 80 Rounds after, Break-in.

Well after installing a Criterion barrel this is what I ended up with. This is a 6 creed 24" barrel with factory 108 eld match ammo. The first box ran through the barrel with todays wind. Couldn't be happier now.

Attachments

• IMG_3405.jpeg
    IMG_3405.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3407.jpeg
    IMG_3407.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 57
Well after installing a Criterion barrel this is what I ended up with. This is a 6 creed 24" barrel with factory 108 eld match ammo. The first box ran through the barrel with todays wind. Couldn't be happier now.
Awesome Job ! YIPPEE and,.. Congrats !!!
Those crazy Criterion Barrels,.. are,.. something !
Great choice of, Cartridge !
What Barrel "Contour" did you get ?

Last edited: