Howa 1500 308 accuracy issue

I'd imagine you would have to talk to someone that has dealt with their support. I have a few Howas but never needed to use their support.

I have never needed to either. But I have never sent lapping compound down the bore before shooting a rifle in stock condition to get a baseline. If a rifle shoots good out of the box I will leave it alone. At least I will only change one variable at a time to see if something I do makes an improvement. Bedding a rifle is not a panacea.

I have never needed to either. But I have never sent lapping compound down the bore before shooting a rifle in stock condition to get a baseline. If a rifle shoots good out of the box I will leave it alone. At least I will only change one variable at a time to see if something I do makes an improvement. Bedding a rifle is not a panacea.
Bedding a rifle is not harmful, so an easy thing to try first with no downside.

Bedding a rifle is not harmful, so an easy thing to try first with no downside.

If a rifle has issues then I would try bedding. If it is shooting at or exceeding expectation then there might not be a need.

First step is shooting it to see where it is at. Then you can see how bedding or other things affect accuracy.

And even then you should only change one variable at a time. How do you know if bedding, new chassis, or lapping improved or degraded things? Which step helped? Which step hurt?

Sell it & try again. Some barrel and action combos just don't pan out. You'll waste more time & money shooting round after round trying to figure this out, to no avail. Cut your losses, keep your stock & sell off the "average" barrel & action. Buy a new one & see if your luck improves.

If you insist on trying to make this gun shoot, try a new scope. You have to do that to eliminate one more variable. The fact that your scope tracks properly does not guarantee it is NOT the problem. Good luck.

So I spoke with Howa today and they said to return it however they advised me it would be 4 months tell they would get to it. Do I send it and wait or get a prefit barrel from a reputable company and though it on there. Spoke with criterion and I can have one here in a week.
Can you wait ? If not re barrel. If selling the other barrel I would be honest.

So I spoke with Howa today and they said to return it however they advised me it would be 4 months tell they would get to it. Do I send it and wait or get a prefit barrel from a reputable company and though it on there. Spoke with criterion and I can have one here in a week.
Or you could try this ? And you can put it on another rifle. I bought one today, Just to have a extra good scope at hand. https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...olds-1-in-Satin-Black-Riflescope-2700006.aspx

I didn't see what rings you're using. I would make sure the rail and/or rings are torqued and secured to the action.

I have used Tubbs on an old 7 RemMag. Used the full set of bullets. They must have moved the lands about .020. Didn't help at all.

Tubbs instructions, used to state, not to use the first 5 course grit bullets unless you are working with an old barrel and trying to improve it because it can erode the throat.

I would try the new criterion barrel. It's gonna be a better barrel than the factory barrel anyways. So that will be a win, win for you.

I didn't see what rings you're using. I would make sure the rail and/or rings are torqued and secured to the action.

I have used Tubbs on an old 7 RemMag. Used the full set of bullets. They must have moved the lands about .020. Didn't help at all.

Tubbs instructions, used to state, not to use the first 5 course grit bullets unless you are working with an old barrel and trying to improve it because it can erode the throat.

I would try the new criterion barrel. It's gonna be a better barrel than the factory barrel anyways. So that will be a win, win for you.
I have Burris rings on the Burris xtr ii and the vortex I tried this weekend had warne rings. I have loosened and retorqued everything several times. I'm thinking I just ruined the barrel with the tubbs. I have had a few other guys look at the rifle and see nothing else that stands out to them.

I have Burris rings on the Burris xtr ii and the vortex I tried this weekend had warne rings. I have loosened and retorqued everything several times. I'm thinking I just ruined the barrel with the tubbs. I have had a few other guys look at the rifle and see nothing else that stands out to them.
That's probably accurate. A new barrel is a smart next step and will be an upgrade regardless. Chalk it up to lessons learned and enjoy the Criterion!

Recent Posts