Howa 1500 308 accuracy issue

On my 308 gas gun I tried 8 different powders before I found the one. It would do 1 inch to 1.5 to even 4 inches with 1 brand of bullets. With AR comp and 165-168 grain bullets it's an honest .4-.5 gun.
I'm not sure if you reload. ***Use at your own risk. If you do try 41.5 of imr 4895 in LC brass, 39 grains of 3031, 42.8 of imr 4064 *** Gold Medal Match Clone, 46 grains of Varget ***this is a max load, work up to it. 40.6 of AR Comp in LC Brass, 41.7 AR comp in REM Brass, 42 AR Comp in Win. Brass. All of these loads use 165-168 grain bullets. I use Fed 210 primers but CCI 200s will work. These are known accuracy loads in the 308. Some are old military match loads. Unless specified I'm using commercial Winchester brass. Work up to these loads carefully. Very carefully.
If your rifle won't shoot one of these loads decently you very likely have a gun or a scope problem. Also check your scope mounting system as well as parallax.
Try 45grains of iIMR 4064 under a 150 grain SST. It's one tenth of a grain over book but my gun loves it.

I have gone for .030 off to 0.60 with 168s thinking it would tighten up. If I take it out any longer that .030 I start having feeding issues.
Before I sent it back I would try .080-.120 off. Just make sure your still in the ogive. I would also look at nosler load data online and see if there are some other powders listed you can try. H4895, Imr 4895 is the old standby.

Try 45grains of iIMR 4064 under a 150 grain SST. It's one tenth of a grain over book but my gun loves it.
My bolt gun loves 4064. 45.8 grains and a 168 eldm. Over book but no pressure signs. It or 46 grains of Varget is my 1000 yard load. The 308 AR hates 150s but it's money with 168s and AR Comp. The loads above use Winchester Brass.

Last edited:
I have a question, in going back and looking at your photos, is that device attached to your barrel when your shooting your targets you've posted?
That's a good catch. Looks like a magneto speed chrono. Have you shot it without the chrono on the barrel?

This may be a stretch, but are you resting the rifle at the extreme end of the forearm like your pic? I have seen a few rifles that like the rest point a bit further back on stock. My friend has Savage 112 22-250 in polymer stock that absolutely hates being rested that far forward. He had a hard time accepting it at first. I have a savage 12 ftr in 223 that was the opposite. It went from 1.25 moa at 600 to under 1.0 moa just by moving the bipod about 2" to the extreme end of forearm (via built in sliding bipod rail). I have also seen this behavior on just about every factory 22LR I've ever shot. Should be s quick check.

This may be a stretch, but are you resting the rifle at the extreme end of the forearm like your pic? I have seen a few rifles that like the rest point a bit further back on stock. My friend has Savage 112 22-250 in polymer stock that absolutely hates being rested that far forward. He had a hard time accepting it at first. I have a savage 12 ftr in 223 that was the opposite. It went from 1.25 moa at 600 to under 1.0 moa just by moving the bipod about 2" to the extreme end of forearm (via built in sliding bipod rail). I have also seen this behavior on just about every factory 22LR I've ever shot. Should be s quick check.
Definitely something I will try thank you

With how much free float that chassis is giving I can't see the stock contacting the barrel. I have seen this happen on hogue stocks with how flexible they are, but not a chassis setup. Still worth testing out but I would be surprised if that was causing the issue.

A couple of things really stand out to me.
1. The rifle should be broken in with the manufacture's recommendations. Tubbs could be an issue here.
2. If I were to place a barreled action into a chassis, I wouldn't bed it right off the bat. Most of the time they shoot fine without bedding. Use proper torque and you're good to go. Especially with the lower recoil on a .308.

I know you can't go back on the above, but both are throwing flags in my mind.

Why don't you take us through your reloading process. Maybe there is an issue there we can resolve prior to sending the rifle out or getting it rebarreled.

With how much free float that chassis is giving I can't see the stock contacting the barrel. I have seen this happen on hogue stocks with how flexible they are, but not a chassis setup. Still worth testing out but I would be surprised if that was causing the issue.
I had a friend with a brand new free floated 223 Remington bull barrel bolt action black composite stock that wouldn't shoot. He told me shoot this thing , I missed the bulls eye by 2". Now shoot it without gripping it with either hand anywhere, just put your finger on the trigger solo & shoulder behind it, 10 4 ok. boom-bulls eye. Time and time again same test same result. I dont know if he ever cured that stock or mounting issue, I think he just put it up classed as a not one of his favorites... I like wood, just sayin.

With how much free float that chassis is giving I can't see the stock contacting the barrel.
When I saw it, the barrel touching the stock was never an issue, meaning we don't believe there was any way the barrels ever touched the stock during the firing cycle. It was just a about the harmonics in general. But, you're right it's probably a stretch.

Recent Posts