HOPING TO GET AN ELK BEFORE I AM DEAD

I really don't know that would be a tough call. Two years ago a buddy and I did a DIY alaska moose hunt. I didn't even consider guided. For the price I could do 4 DIY hunts vs one guided hunt. We figured even as rookie moose hunters if we had 4 attempts at it we would be successful. We were both successful on our first attempt but now we will probably go back again but this time for blacktails, then again for caribou another year. Even if we do all 3 of those hunts we still won't even be close to the cost of what the guided moose hunt will have cost, while having about 10x the adventure of a guided hunt.

On elk hunts a guy could go 4 times DIY for the cost of a guided hunt. And there isn't a guarantee a guy is going to be successful on a guided hunt. To me half the fun is in the planning and figuring out the logistics of a hunt. Much more rewarding (to me personally) then a guided hunt.

But you are missing the point - the OP said this is more than likely a 1 time deal. This isn't a question of cost vs multiple opportunities - it is about making the most of a once in a lifetime hunt. If you have the money, you have to go with a guide.

A few tips from Montana:

1. The past 5+ years Montana has had many leftover elk tags(15k+) on many years.

2. Many of the general tag areas hold decent elk

3. Lots of private access through various programs as well

4. You don't need hunters Ed, you are older than the cutoff

5. Lots of guides will take you on a general public land hunt

6. Lots of OTC "B" tags (cow) to expand your opportunities

ANY elk is a trophy. Take the leap, hire a guide, take copious notes, and if you aren't successful come back next year and DIY. Makes friends with locals. This is a good place to start. I don't mind hosting people, I am not a guide, but I am a successful hunter. I can't guarantee anything but a good time and experience, sore legs, good eats, and lots of laughs, but that is a huge part of the experience!

I am in the same boat as the OP. I am planning a hunt in Wyoming with an outfitter. I dont have a hunting partner, my dad would live to go but he's 81and doesnt feel he could make it through. I figure the money spent on a guided hunt will pay off. There is no way I could do this alone.....nor want to. Good luck and keep us informed.

I live in the Northeast and only have experience hunting whitetails but have an Elk hunt in my bucket list. I have 6 significant challenges:

1. Time is not on my side: I am 56 and would like to to this in the next 5 to 6 years while I am still younger. I would love to do a DIY elk hunt (I love challenges), but this is not practical with my circumstances.
2. Limited Points. I only have 1 CO point and 1 WY point. Started this fantasy late in life...
3. NO EXPERIENCE with Elk hunting (I hunt whitetail).
4. Live in the Northeast -- so I will not get much opportunity to scout extensively in Elk Country.
5. Limited trips. I will only get to do one elk hunt in my life, maybe two. ( I am leaning towards and am willing to pay for a guided hunt because of this).
6. NO HUNTING PARTNER FOR THIS ELK HUNT: (My youngest son (25 years old) wants to deer and elk hunt with me, but he has not even taken the time to do a hunter's ed course yet (keeps promising). Who knows when that will happen because he is busy and has not made this a priority. (I will probably be dead when he finally gets his hunting license :).

I am willing to do a guided hunt-- whatever can tilt odds of success in my favor since I have only one or two possible trips in my life, and no experience hunting elk. I really prefer to get a bull, but will settle for a cow.

If I don't have a partner for spotting, ranging, packing, etc. is this feasible in a guided hunt? I was looking at NTO outfitters as a possibility but honestly I would go with recommendations. My fantasy would be a spot and stalk hunt vs timber hunt, but I know have to be prepared to take the opportunity if it happens under any hunting scenario. (I enjoy long range shooting, but I want to be ethical in my hunting approach by making sure I set myself up for the best kill under the scenario).

Is it unrealistic to plan a hunt without a partner? Tell it to me straight. Do guided hunt arrangements allow me to get help spotting/ranging/packing out like a partner would? Forgive my dumb questions but I have never been on a guided hunt. I cannot even plan what state to hunt, where to get points etc, without knowing who my partner is an where he has points to hunt the same hunt. I am also concerned with hunting with someone I have not hunted with before ( I have read the horror stories here about hunting with a new partner on an elk trip).

I don't have a set budget yet-- I will spend some decent money if need be, but the budget is not unlimited and will vary.

PS I won't underestimate the importance of getting in shape (high altitude), having the right equipment, and being prepared. I like to do things the right way, or not at all.

I really envy you guys that live in Elk country!!

I love this website thanks in advance guys!

Hoping to get an elk before I am dead. :)
I live in the Northeast and only have experience hunting whitetails but have an Elk hunt in my bucket list. I have 6 significant challenges:

1. Time is not on my side: I am 56 and would like to to this in the next 5 to 6 years while I am still younger. I would love to do a DIY elk hunt (I love challenges), but this is not practical with my circumstances.
2. Limited Points. I only have 1 CO point and 1 WY point. Started this fantasy late in life...
4. Live in the Northeast -- so I will not get much opportunity to scout extensively in Elk Country.
5. Limited trips. I will only get to do one elk hunt in my life, maybe two. ( I am leaning towards and am willing to pay for a guided hunt because of this).
6. NO HUNTING PARTNER FOR THIS ELK HUNT: (My youngest son (25 years old) wants to deer and elk hunt with me, but he has not even taken the time to do a hunter's ed course yet (keeps promising). Who knows when that will happen because he is busy and has not made this a priority. (I will probably be dead when he finally gets his hunting license :).

I am willing to do a guided hunt-- whatever can tilt odds of success in my favor since I have only one or two possible trips in my life, and no experience hunting elk. I really prefer to get a bull, but will settle for a cow.

If I don't have a partner for spotting, ranging, packing, etc. is this feasible in a guided hunt? I was looking at NTO outfitters as a possibility but honestly I would go with recommendations. My fantasy would be a spot and stalk hunt vs timber hunt, but I know have to be prepared to take the opportunity if it happens under any hunting scenario. (I enjoy long range shooting, but I want to be ethical in my hunting approach by making sure I set myself up for the best kill under the scenario).

Is it unrealistic to plan a hunt without a partner? Tell it to me straight. Do guided hunt arrangements allow me to get help spotting/ranging/packing out like a partner would? Forgive my dumb questions but I have never been on a guided hunt. I cannot even plan what state to hunt, where to get points etc, without knowing who my partner is an where he has points to hunt the same hunt. I am also concerned with hunting with someone I have not hunted with before ( I have read the horror stories here about hunting with a new partner on an elk trip).

I don't have a set budget yet-- I will spend some decent money if need be, but the budget is not unlimited and will vary.

PS I won't underestimate the importance of getting in shape (high altitude), having the right equipment, and being prepared. I like to do things the right way, or not at all.

It is

Hoping to get an elk before I am dead.

There is an outfitter pool in New Mexico

New Mexico has an outfitter pool for applications. There is no point system. Unfortunately you have missed the application deadline. You can still buy a landowner tag but at a much higher price. I would call Michael Clifton of 3C Outfitters 505-506-6704. I am sure he still has some landowner tags available.

Guided hunt should get you success. I have never needed one living in Oregon but guides KNOW the areas they guide in and take care of you etc...no problem and plan it as soon as you can......stuff happens in life....

Hi , I I've in UK , I decided to leave the rifle at home, . I went on a trade bowhunt in Colorado with some vets. Great experience....over the counter permit. The Colorado Wildlife have a really good site with lots of info. With their maps and Google Earth I new the ground well before I got there.. I was 64 then and after 48 hours the altitude was no problem. You do really need a camp outfitter or buddies.just in case you get one. Don't strive to get the biggest bull.

Son - you're just a child; if I were 56 again, I'd go wrestle me an elk barehanded. I'm 74 and it's easy - it only takes 12 people. One to drive the AWD out to the site, two to pick you up and set you in the chair, one to wheel you over to the shooting table, two to carry your guns and ammo, two to set up the tent, generator, and beer fridge, one to hold the steel and the other for the flint to start the fire, and one to hold the gun up for you while you aim. The last one tells you when to pull the trigger. You don't need anyone to go fetch it, because you couldn't chew the meat anyway.

Piece of cake.

Check out Pennsylvania, they have Elk and Elk hunting there too, as does Kentucky. Both are lottery type draws. Pa's application period doesn't open till June, Kentucky's open now, and closes the end of next month, I think. Might look at Montana too, because they have a system where you buy a hunting license that includes an Elk, I believe, then all you have to do is find a guide out fit. There are ranches in Montana who'll take you hunting on them, but kind of need to look them up, as I forgot the name of the one I knew. I know of a guy who sets up Elk hunts and such, and when I recall his name will get back with you. The Jicarilla Apache reservation in N. Mexico also has Elk hunts and big ones, but they kind of pricey, as does Ted Turner's ranch down in N. Mexico. You can probably forget any guided Elk hunt for under $5k and mostly north of there.

I don't know the cost but I have had coffee with former guides many times and most say almost everyone they have guided are not in shape to climb the side of a mountain and have enough breath to take an offhand shot so get in real good shape.
If possible come early and hike up a mountain and see how hard it is to breathe well.
I used to run up a mountain but not anymore as I haven't aged well.
Here in Montana we have many guide services but I have never used them.
One that I talked to back in 1998 down in Dillon Montana is Bloody Dick Outfitters.
No its not someone with a horrible medical condition as there is a mountain chain called The Bloody Dick mountain range.A British guy named Dick had a gold claim there back in the 1800's and with claim jumping going around there was a lot of killing so that's how the mountain range got it's name.
At the time they had a good price and excellent success rate.
Just my 2 cents,
Old Rooster

Call Eric at TAGS. He will get you in the draws so you don't miss or skip and can recommend good guides. Heading to Wyoming w my dad this fall on a rifle hunt. Hope you get to have the same experience in the near future

I agree, being a first timer, an outfitter is the way to go. After retiring from the bear guiding business after 20+yrs along with my regular job, I watched many lone clients come to camp but they weren't alone very long. You'll be making friends the first day and exchanging phone numbers and emails the last day. I guided bears in Wisconsin to help pay for my dream trips including elk, moose, caribou, mulie and antelope and each time I went with an outfitter. It's less of the little things you don't have to worry about or never thought about. With alittle research you can find the right outfitter yourself or go with a quality booking agent. DO NOT WAIT till it's too late or because you don't have enough points. 2nd 3rd and 4th season Colorado is over the counter. Idaho is (last time I heard) was over the counter. Some places in Wyoming and Montana dont require any points, depending where the outfitter does business. Some states also have landowner tags. And don't choose an outfitter by price alone, cheap isn't always better and most of the time you get what you pay for, and call references, and tell the outfitter you want numbers of successful and unsuccessful clients. Just because someone didn't punch a tag doesn't mean it was a bad outfitter, maybe bad weather was involved or client was looking for something bigger and was willing to eat their tag rather than kill something under his/her goals. My point is, you only get one trip on this planet, make it a good one with no regrets. Good luck!

Absolutely doable with a guided hunt. Start calling some outfits. You can draw a 1st season trophy tag in CO in various units with a guide that will put you on elk. Did this a few years ago with my pops in a similar-ish situation. I would go to elevation a day early and just relax and mess around, altitude sickness blows.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.