Holdover shooting

Yes, I've had to go to glasses recently too. I have bifocals so I can do the close stuff and the far stuff while in the woods too.. The problem is going up-and-down the mountains in the snow through the brush it's not fun with bifocals haha
Have you looked into one of the turret magnifiers? Might improve things.

I've successfully used holdover this year on two whitetails @ 400yds. I put the yardage in my ballistic app and it called for 2MOA at that distance for 162gn ELD-M / 7mmRemMag. My Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25X56 is FFP and when the deer steps in the path (which is already flagged at 200, 300 & 400yds) I crank up the power and used appropriate pre-determined mark.
Pretty simple and effective setup. The path is only 508yds, the deer usually cross at the above cited yardages. For 0-250yds, it's hold low and then dead on at 300yds, at 400yds use 2MOA mark and 500yds use 4MOA.

Now if I'm hunting over a cutdown and activity is a bit more relaxed, I will dial.

I've successfully used holdover this year on two whitetails @ 400yds. I put the yardage in my ballistic app and it called for 2MOA at that distance for 162gn ELD-M / 7mmRemMag. My Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25X56 is FFP and when the deer steps in the path (which is already flagged at 200, 300 & 400yds) I crank up the power and used appropriate pre-determined mark.
Pretty simple and effective setup. The path is only 508yds, the deer usually cross at the above cited yardages. For 0-250yds, it's hold low and then dead on at 300yds, at 400yds use 2MOA mark and 500yds use 4MOA.

Now if I'm hunting over a cutdown and activity is a bit more relaxed, I will dial.

Screenshot_20211213-103215.png

That's on a Savage axis creedmoor with 143 eldx Cheap scope with better rings and rail.

I round 250 350 450 650 yards on the duplex.
Gun Killed 2 elk at 515 and others: 200, 250 yard 315 yard and some closer.

I never had to shoot an elk twice with it. It's fast handling. which is what you have to be in the north Idaho brush. It seems like most every elk situation here has been Seconds to range and fire before they're all boogied in to the deep stuff.

For my load I'll hold over out to 650. After that other factors need calculated for changing exterior ballistics hour by hour.

View attachment 320168

That's on a Savage axis creedmoor with 143 eldx Cheap scope with better rings and rail.

I round 250 350 450 650 yards on the duplex.
Gun Killed 2 elk at 515 and others: 200, 250 yard 315 yard and some closer.

I never had to shoot an elk twice with it. It's fast handling. which is what you have to be in the north Idaho brush. It seems like most every elk situation here has been Seconds to range and fire before they're all boogied in to the deep stuff.

For my load I'll hold over out to 650. After that other factors need calculated for changing exterior ballistics hour by hour.
Very cool.
I have been getting there with a 3-9x vortex viper and dead hold bdc reticle.
Not there yet....

What is that screenshot of.?

Reticle type will make a lot of difference. If you are talking about a standard duplex it helps to make an animal sized target and shoot at distance, record drops and note size relationship of animal to Reticle. With my stock 700 in 3006 with vxll 3x9. 400 yds on deer is as far as I would want to shoot.
Fairly new to lrh. How far can i be successful with only holdover....non dialing scopes?
Thoughts?
With a standard duplex crosshair, we used to sight in @200yds then for holdover @ 440 we used the tip of the post. We would continue to back down on the magnification until the tip of the post represents a sighted point for said yardage. That way, anything 440yds and under we knew was between the intersection of the crosshairs, and the tip of the bottom post. We were quite successful in this crude method.

With a standard duplex crosshair, we used to sight in @200yds then for holdover @ 440 we used the tip of the post. We would continue to back down on the magnification until the tip of the post represents a sighted point for said yardage. That way, anything 440yds and under we knew was between the intersection of the crosshairs, and the tip of the bottom post. We were quite successful in this crude method.
Usually ended up around 5-6 power on a 4x12 Leopold