Holdover shooting

With a standard duplex crosshair, we used to sight in @200yds then for holdover @ 440 we used the tip of the post. We would continue to back down on the magnification until the tip of the post represents a sighted point for said yardage. That way, anything 440yds and under we knew was between the intersection of the crosshairs, and the tip of the bottom post. We were quite successful in this crude method.
I used a 2 x 7 Leupold for years on my 25-06 with a duplex cross hairs. I set up targets that were 18" tall between top and bottom. Built a paint frame to paint out the target with a 2" cross in it. Measured out 300, 400, and 500 yd set up. Used my scope at 7 powder to see how that 18" measured up at those ranges. That became my range finer. I could look through the scope and what the yards was or about what it was. Use the either the crosshairs dead center or raised the crosshair up to the top of back for 400yds, and point of bottom post at top of back for 500yds. My group would be about 3" below the top of back at those holds at the different yardages. That was my range finer and it was deadly. Very quick too.

I used a 2 x 7 Leupold for years on my 25-06 with a duplex cross hairs. I set up targets that were 18" tall between top and bottom. Built a paint frame to paint out the target with a 2" cross in it. Measured out 300, 400, and 500 yd set up. Used my scope at 7 powder to see how that 18" measured up at those ranges. That became my range finer. I could look through the scope and what the yards was or about what it was. Use the either the crosshairs dead center or raised the crosshair up to the top of back for 400yds, and point of bottom post at top of back for 500yds. My group would be about 3" below the top of back at those holds at the different yardages. That was my range finer and it was deadly. Very quick too.
Very common and leupold even had some that told the yardage and you just bracketed the animal by magnification and looked on the other side of the adjustment ring. Pretty darn accurate.