Holding a Magnum while shooting??

Mram10us

LRH Team Member
I have a buddy that is a great shot. Whenever we go shoot our 300 ultras at long range off the bipods, he holds the fore end of the stock. Drives me crazy, but he shoots really well and consistent. I use the standard, off hand under the butt squeezing the rear bag.

I’m curious, how many guys use their off hand to hold something other than the rear bag?

Bigeclipse

while it may not be ideal, accurate shooting is all about consistency. If he can consistently shoot well that way then so be it. My wife does similar and shoots better than I do granted she has been shooting far longer than me (I grew up in the suburbs with out hunting/shooting. She has been shooting since she was young)....drives me nuts haha.

johnnyk

I don't use a bipod anymore but sometimes while shooting from the bench, using a front rest and rear bag, I will wedge my left index finger between the stock and rest bag to prevent lateral movement. This helps when the forearm of the stock is a sporter type and thin.

jjmp

Try your friends style ,works for me ,I've got two Friends and I'm Proud when I can tie with them,but not always ,their what I call Naturals !,cheers

Mram10us

LRH Team Member
Try your friends style ,works for me ,I've got two Friends and I'm Proud when I can tie with them,but not always ,their what I call Naturals !,cheers
Next time I go out I’ll test it and throw a video on here. I think I learn more from my videos than anyone else does

WildRose

I have a buddy that is a great shot. Whenever we go shoot our 300 ultras at long range off the bipods, he holds the fore end of the stock. Drives me crazy, but he shoots really well and consistent. I use the standard, off hand under the butt squeezing the rear bag.

I’m curious, how many guys use their off hand to hold something other than the rear bag?
Whatever works for you as a shooter under the conditions present.

I like really pulling a bipod into my shoulder so when shooting off of them I'll often grab right at the bipod and just manage my elevation with slight shoulder movements or mounting adjustment.

memtb

Mram10us, I guess that would be me. I’m “not” shooting with a bipod, merely a front rest with bags at rear. With 60+ ft/lb. recoil, my rifle jumps “a mite”, when shooting from the bench. I’ve tried holding beneath the fore end, and with my hand resting on the scope. The groups appear to be similar, and the hand resting on the scope is a more comfortable position. While certainly not as good as some of these folks shoot, I’m still getting sub 2” groups (3 shot groups) at 300 yards.....from a moderately lightweight hunting rifle! memtb

Last edited:

keithcandler

Mram, I shoot the way your friend does, I pull straight back with my left hand as a right handed shooter.

Heavy bench guns, I shoot like you do.

What ever your method, you have to be consistent. I shoot with a front rest.

Mram10us

LRH Team Member
Like I said, I need to try it both ways because he doesn’t shoot as much as me, yet he shoots as good or better at times. I even built his rifle and reload for him! At least miss a few to make me feel like I’m better :)

shooter7

I have (2) 300wm rifles. One weighs 16lbs, the other only 9. The heavy one I shoot with my weak hand underneath the butt either controlling the bag or the stock to my shoulder. My strong hand is laying almost lifeless on the grip just waiting for a proper trigger squeeze.

My light rifle is definitely different. My weak hand is doing the same job, but strong hand is both pulling the rifle into my shoulder as well as pushing down into the bags or bipod. I get much better results when exerting more control over the light rifle.

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce