Holding a Magnum while shooting??

Mram10us

I have a buddy that is a great shot. Whenever we go shoot our 300 ultras at long range off the bipods, he holds the fore end of the stock. Drives me crazy, but he shoots really well and consistent. I use the standard, off hand under the butt squeezing the rear bag.

I'm curious, how many guys use their off hand to hold something other than the rear bag?

while it may not be ideal, accurate shooting is all about consistency. If he can consistently shoot well that way then so be it. My wife does similar and shoots better than I do granted she has been shooting far longer than me (I grew up in the suburbs with out hunting/shooting. She has been shooting since she was young)....drives me nuts haha.

Try your friends style ,works for me ,I've got two Friends and I'm Proud when I can tie with them,but not always ,their what I call Naturals !,cheers

I have a buddy that is a great shot. Whenever we go shoot our 300 ultras at long range off the bipods, he holds the fore end of the stock. Drives me crazy, but he shoots really well and consistent. I use the standard, off hand under the butt squeezing the rear bag.

I'm curious, how many guys use their off hand to hold something other than the rear bag?
Whatever works for you as a shooter under the conditions present.

I like really pulling a bipod into my shoulder so when shooting off of them I'll often grab right at the bipod and just manage my elevation with slight shoulder movements or mounting adjustment.

Mram10us, I guess that would be me. I'm "not" shooting with a bipod, merely a front rest with bags at rear. With 60+ ft/lb. recoil, my rifle jumps "a mite", when shooting from the bench. I've tried holding beneath the fore end, and with my hand resting on the scope. The groups appear to be similar, and the hand resting on the scope is a more comfortable position. While certainly not as good as some of these folks shoot, I'm still getting sub 2" groups (3 shot groups) at 300 yards.....from a moderately lightweight hunting rifle! memtb

Last edited:
Like I said, I need to try it both ways because he doesn't shoot as much as me, yet he shoots as good or better at times. I even built his rifle and reload for him! At least miss a few to make me feel like I'm better :)

I have (2) 300wm rifles. One weighs 16lbs, the other only 9. The heavy one I shoot with my weak hand underneath the butt either controlling the bag or the stock to my shoulder. My strong hand is laying almost lifeless on the grip just waiting for a proper trigger squeeze.

My light rifle is definitely different. My weak hand is doing the same job, but strong hand is both pulling the rifle into my shoulder as well as pushing down into the bags or bipod. I get much better results when exerting more control over the light rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts