Is a .223 trainer worth while?

I think it depends a lot on what you want to improve and how many other guns you have to play with.

if you want to get good at wind calling and you have other rifles for 4 legged killing, get a 223 and shoot a bunch of bulk Pmc bronze or something in it. 30-35 cents a whack is hard to beat and you will absolutely learn to read the wind sending 55s downrange. With the right bullet, it will do in a pinch for bigger animals.

that said, if you want to work on recoil management and wind calling but want something capable of ethically killing 4 legged animals, I'd go 308. Bulk 150 FMJ still sucks in the wind and you'll learn a lot, but it will also push you around a bit so youll have to manage the rifle a bit. A quick search on ammoseek says you'll spend 50-55 cents for bulk brass cased 150 FMJ. It's a few hundred bucks difference over 1000 rounds which is a lot of shooting.

I built an excel calculator I'm happy to share so you can put real numbers behind the decision, But Based on what you've said, I'd got 473 face, spin up a 308 barrel, and buy 1000 rounds of bulk ammo and not look back.

The verdict seems pretty clear, a .223 trainer is definitely worth the investment. And then I went and did a thing completely against everything in this thread! lol

Last night I scored a great deal on brand new .7mm SST dies with 150 new ADG cases. Then found a .284 Proof CF barrel for a steal and bought it. Then called Straight Jacket and ordered the chamber work for a 7mm SST! WOW that all happened so fast but between the barrel, brass, and dies I saved about $400 over retail costs so I'm pretty happy about that ... just need to track down components now and I'm ready to shoot!!

I don't want to discount all the great feedback and advice in this thread however, I greatly appreciate all the responses as you all confirmed for me that a .223 trainer is a solid investment. I do have an AR setup as an SPR that I can continue to shoot for cheap .223 practice, but it's important to me to practice on the same platform as my hunting rifle so I will certainly add a .223 barrel for it next.

For less than $500, you could get a Ruger American in .223 or .300 Blackout. Why spend the money on putting a barrel on your action that you'll eventually replace? Perfectly great gun for practice...

Just shoot the ar long range for now, sure it's nice to have a close to exact duplicate trainer, but as far as general trigger time and especially wind reading the AR is still good practice. I shoot mine out to 600

nice snag on the dies and brass, exciting!

Since 7mm SST on agenda you could make up some light recoil 100-120 gr loads. Just running them at 3000 would give some light practice training loads. Another idea for you !

Yeah a ruger American or the savage 12FV would be an option for a cheap but decent trainer. I'm sure Tikka has something that would work too. Prefits are readily available for all of them.

For less than $500, you could get a Ruger American in .223 or .300 Blackout. Why spend the money on putting a barrel on your action that you'll eventually replace? Perfectly great gun for practice...
I did consider a cheap Ruger in .223 as a practice rifle, even handled them and others during many visits to scheels, but one of the reasons I bought the Zeus was for the quick barrel swaps and being able to throw a .223 on there to practice on the exact platform I plan to use in the field. I don't think I'd need to replace any barrels on that Zeus action for quite a while, especially a .223 barrel. I also have some ARs to allow for .223 practice until I can get the .223 barrel for the Zeus.

I would not "waste" (not really a waste) the money on a cheaper 223 when that's half the cost of a barrel and bolt on your main rig where you would have an exact trainer.

I almost feel a .22LR would be the way to go if we're talking trainer, a .223 built as an equal to your big gun could also double as a back up match gun

I don't need a 223 trainer rifle. With that said, I hunt and shoot in eastern NC. A 223 bolt gun to go along with my 308 makes a lot of sense for me. The deer here are small enough and the shots are close enough that something like the 62 grain gold dot at 3k fps makes works well in the woods, and the 62 grain Hornady bthp for practice. I just finished my 308 build and am saving for a 223 build.
Both are on Howa 1500 short actions in GRS stocks.

Tough to beat a good 223 trainer. Even if you wanted to change it up in the future the 223 bolt face allows you to build lots of great calibers in the future. 223, 223 ai, 20 tac, 17 rem, 222 etc!

If your hesitant a good target 22 really is great as well!!