Is a .223 trainer worth while?

SteelBanger

Hey guys, I'm sitting on a Zeus action with a TT Special in it, XLR Magnesium Element 3.0 on its way, but I can't figure out what cartridge to roll with for its first barrel. I bought the Zeus with a mag bolt face because it will eventually get a 7SS barrel on it for hunting but those hunts are a couple years away and I can't help but think that starting off with a .223 barrel instead would be better as it would let me put in a LOT more trigger time over those next couple of years due to cost of components compared to a larger caliber. I can get a PVA barrel chambered up for $500 plus I'm already setup to load for .223, the only down side is I'd have to buy the .223 bolt and with that bolt I'm pretty limited on adding other cartridges due to the case head size.

That's where buying the .308 bolt comes into my mind because with that bolt face it opens up a wide range of potential cartridges I can use. The downside is component costs would limit my trigger time compared to the .223 since bullets jump up in price as you get above .224, not to mention roughly double the powder per round ... give or take a little. I'm also not yet setup to load anything in the .308 family so adding dies is another cost consideration.

So would you go with the .223 for maximum trigger time / practice for the price of only a barrel and bolt, or the .308 bolt due to the options it allows for future barrels? I'm pretty strongly torn, the .223 makes a lot of sense but getting the .308 bolt and starting with something like the 22 creed for now let's me keep reloading costs fairly reasonable and that bolt let's me add so many other fun cartridges down the road.

What say you?

I have several different calibers I shoot, including a custom 223 trainer. It's quite accurate and will help you on obstacles

I too like my 223 as it allows you see your hits, showing your what your hold for was worth. I would say mine really help with learning wind.

Shooting FClass was great aid too as it "recorded" my holds and hits on paper.

BUT it is still important to practice with your BIG gun as they will recoil/react differently.

Try to make any bullet down range a learning experience.

Yes

I shoot a lot of 223. I think wind at 600 is fun practice, it can really blow those little bullets around.

If you do, get a 223 rem match chamber that has 0.90" freebore. You load it longer and can push a 75gr to 3000fps with varget
The freebore was another question I had, wasn't sure how that needs to be setup for long heavy bullets but i figured I could talk to the smith about that. I definitely would get the Rem match chamber and want it setup for the heavies.

Have you thought about just building off of your magnum bolt face with a round to deliver the 131 Blackjack? Don't get me wrong, I shoot the heck out of a .223 and think a 22 CM would be fun too. That said, you could have a lot of fun amd learn a ton shooting the 131s.

I have several different calibers I shoot, including a custom 223 trainer. It's quite accurate and will help you on obstacles

In my opinion, the 223 would be my choice for what you want, and ammo is about the cheapest available.

Save the mag face bolt and build a short mag "Something" later. There are 6.5,s , 7 mm's, 308's ,338's in the short mags for a wide variety of cartridges.

The 223 and the 22lr are great training rifles depending on the range you want to practice at.

J E CUSTOM

I love my remi 223 tactical extreme long range. I've had it for many years and it's still a sub moa gun. Like others have said get the barrel with a little free bore and a fast twist like a 1:8 or 9 so you can load some of the heavier bullets

Have you thought about just building off of your magnum bolt face with a round to deliver the 131 Blackjack? Don't get me wrong, I shoot the heck out of a .223 and think a 22 CM would be fun too. That said, you could have a lot of fun amd learn a ton shooting the 131s.
Yeah ive looked at the quarter bores but if building off my mag bolt I think I'd rather just build my hunting rig and start getting proficient with it. Don't get me wrong a mag face quarter bore is in my future, just down the road a ways ... and for that matter I wouldn't be upset if I ended up with a barrel for all the Sherman Shorties!

Yep 223 money well spent in practice and increasing accuracy without breaking the bank. Id say barreling it up in 223 will give you lots of time shooting and getting to know the rifle then barrel to your final and its like coming back to an old friend...

Definitely worth having a .223REM trainer/pdog stick. In my opinion, no other centerfire cartridge can match it as far as the combination of barrel life, affordable components or factory ammo, readily available rifles of reasonable quality and ability to practice with wind calls in 400-600 yds. I have a practice load with 69 SMKs, sorted LC brass & WIN748 that I run on the dillon with a SD of 8, using the dillon measure, collet neck sized. Tumbled, annealed and shoulders bumped every 3rd firing. In under 15 minutes I can reload 100 cases I fired that day.

I shoot mine a ton while other rifles cool to work on position building, wind calls, dialing turrets, running ballistic computations, etc. Easily 100-150 rds a week. Barrel lasts me about 2 years. At that rate, a 6creed would chew up 3 to 4 barrels in a year.

There's a reason many PRS shooters are building .223 trainers.

Last edited: