Neck pain while shooting prone

tlk

So I got a muzzle break on my rifle to keep to neck pain to a minimum. I dont think it helped much at all. So now I am wondering what is going on with my position or do I now need a kick pad too?

I have tried positioning myself to the side, directly behind, tightly holding and free-recoiling the rifle - none reaaly work. The rifle jumps UP and BACK, causing the issue. Any advice on what I am doing wrong? About 1 in 5 shots I get no neck jar/jam. Trying to find a consistent link between these that dont hurt my neck and nothing so far.

Very frustrating as I have spent so much time and effort on this rifle (2+ yrs) to shoot it long range.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Now that I am thinking aobut it: if I raise the height of the rifle butt (and raise the bipod a corrresponsing amount to get back on target - effectively raising the entire rifle), will this take some of the positional neck "pinch" out of the prone position?

IOW, if I have the setup too low, am I already in a strained position with my neck curled up and back in order to get my eye to the scope?

Just wondering if it is a setup and not necessarily a position issue.

Last edited:
I'd say it is a setup issue for starters. You shouldn't have to twist, contort or in any other way strain to look through your scope. What is your rifle scope and rings/base combination. How much eye relief does your scope require and how much do you have in a nice relaxed posture.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.