Savage 270wsm not holding a group.

magician

Haven't really gotten into the long range shooting but would like to.. I do reload most of my ammo. Heres the problem.. I have a Savage 270wsm in the stainless weather warrior. Picked up some Berger 140 VLD hunting bullets and some Magpro powder for reloading. Started with 70 gr. of powder and tried the Berger method of going with the bullet .020, .040, .060, .080, .100 off the lands. The .020 seemed to work the best. The first shot was usually good. The following shots were usually to the right:cool: and would not group. Never could get it to shoot good. This gun is straight out of the box. Checked every thing for tightness. Scope is a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14 multiplex. I did shoot some factory Failsafe 140's in it and they shot pretty well. Under an 1.00 MOA. Not sure which direction to turn. Any help would be great.

Might want to give Retumbo a try. My 270 wsm loves 140 gr. Berger VLD and 69 gr. Retumbo. I wasn't getting the accuracy from Magpro(got great velocity). Switched to Retumbo and groups were under 1/2 MOA. 71 gr. is book max but 69 gr was the accuracy node. Just a thought.
Load info:
Rem.700 270 wsm
140 gr. Berger VLD
69 gr. Retumbo
Win. Brass/Fed. 215 primer
Seated .010" off lands
200 yard 5 shot group(bottom shot was fouler)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 17
With respect your barrle is still new and not broken in yet ,I think it's way to early to shoot groups,save them good bullets for later,run some cheaper bullets down the bore some stanless steel bbls take longer to run in. Your components are fine she's to green,scopes fine,and your rifle is a Beauty. Don't over heat that new bbl clean her ever 10 shots for the first 3 boxes then every 20 rounds ,heck I know their shooters ,got the same cartridge in my Savage Md 14 American Classic 270wsm. Somewhere between 60 to 100 rds then shoot groups ,enjoy your Savage,regards jjmp

With respect your barrle is still new and not broken in yet ,I think it's way to early to shoot groups,save them good bullets for later,run some cheaper bullets down the bore some stanless steel bbls take longer to run in. Your components are fine she's to green,scopes fine,and your rifle is a Beauty. Don't over heat that new bbl clean her ever 10 shots for the first 3 boxes then every 20 rounds ,heck I know their shooters ,got the same cartridge in my Savage Md 14 American Classic 270wsm. Somewhere between 60 to 100 rds then shoot groups ,enjoy your Savage,regards jjmp

Agreed! I too shoot a couple of boxes of factory ammo during barrel break-in before I even worry about any group. My last 2 groups of 3s during the brek-in period out of my Savage 11 FCNS in .300 WSM was <1 MOA at 200 yards. Still refining my 215 loads ...

I use imr4350 and reloader 22 in mine with good results. Mines shoots 1" or less all day as long as the barrel stays cool. I have only used nosler bullets in it tho. I can pass some of my load data on if your interested.

Agreed
Use some factory ammo to get the scope dialed in pretty close and get comfortable with the gun. Then work on reloads.

Have you tried anything other than 70 grains of powder? If you can't get MagPro to group well I'd suggest taking Logan197's advice and going with Retumbo. I had the same experience with my semi-custom 270 WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.