high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Frankly I doubt nothing. I know Leupold is more than just quiet about where the scopes are assembled at. Vortex's are assembled in the Phillipenes and it says so right on the bottom of the erector housing at least on the PST's and the Razor's. Don't know where the cheaper ones are assembled, I assume it's China... maybe next to Leupold.:)

I think back to when I was a kid and 'Japanese' equated to cheap transistor radio's and toys that self destructed in 30 seconds, now look at 'em......

Give the Chinese another 10 years or so and if they don't pollute themselves out of existence, they will be of 'Japanese Quality'...

Amazing.

Well that answers my question about where long range starts at.
I get frustrated often when trying to learn new things like long range shooting. And have a mechanical or systems issue. I view mil dot Scopes as a systems problem. . At least for my hunting and shooting purposes.
I need to do some more research on the Horus Reticule systems. That Burris 96 Eliminator reticule looks great, But. For a scope that only works to 0 degree. F. Thats not the scope for me.
Quite honestly, I think reticule technology has a good ways to go yet. . And not just for predator hunting. Say your brown bear hunting. Unless your shooting a 416-50 caliber rifle producing 4,000 ftlb impact energy, chances are slim your bear is just going to be dumped right where it stood on the first shot. And bears have no problem running 40 MPH. . Usually there are lots of gut and rump/Ham shots after the first shot. If your scope reticule had marks for the different MPH from 10-50 and for the different distances it would be easy to swing while holding the correct mark on its shoulder and put your bullet where its supposed to go.
The reason you see so many brown bear at the kill pics in the alders is because that's where the bear ran to after it was shot the first time out in the open. With the right tool a running shot should be no harder than most other shots.

China is like many countries selling stuff in the USA. Some products are really good...some are junk. I doubt that any product carrying the Nikon label is junk..??
Use them in good health and much happiness and down worry about what someone else says about them!
Where I live in SE MO. any glassing I do won't be long ranges actually but I figure they will help me spot deer in the edges of the woods that my old eyes normally miss. My son in law can spot the wiggle of an ear in the woods or wiggle of a tail that I never can see :D so if these will help me with that problem I'll be happy at least maybe, I won't go home empty handed next year. Thanks! :)

Where I live in SE MO. any glassing I do won't be long ranges actually but I figure they will help me spot deer in the edges of the woods that my old eyes normally miss. My son in law can spot the wiggle of an ear in the woods or wiggle of a tail that I never can see :D so if these will help me with that problem I'll be happy at least maybe, I won't go home empty handed next year. Thanks! :)

I know what you mean. Southern Ohio here and a long shot is about 300 yds from one "knob" to another....but since ya cant use a rifle on deer it for killing "milk jugs" if nothing else.

Camo'd..? I can walk up on a sleep grizzly unless he is snoring but movement I spot in an instant. I think that comes from my old squirrel hunting days..

Good luck to ya!

@ Savageman69

I Love the Mk4 scopes and all the othere high end stuff but I just bought that VAR2510X42M about 4 months back and Im gonna buy the next one up and the illuminated ones as well although I have and do by other scopes as well, But the most amazing shots that I can remember was using a 3-9x40 Tasco world class and a fixed 10 power Tasco which also won the state metalic championship match on my 30-06,

I have others But the shots with that 3-9 stick in my mind the most considering the person who came up with the Idea was Taking the (P) and did'nt believe I'd make the shot,

But heres another one for you to Keep you eye out for, Is one of Tasco's old spotting scope's and the Part Numbers is CW50TZBC thats the numbers on the manual and the Numbers on the Scope are ( CW5002 ) Its a 12-36X50 Zoom with Camo Rubber Armour with ridges of rubber running down the lenth of it Same type of Ridge's as the Older Steiner Binoculars have on them, You can also get them in Black Rubber Armour too, I have Had this Scope for 16/17 years (1997) and it still looks like the day I got it, It never fogs up Because it is one of the world Class series which were Waterproof, These scopes have the Quality of $000s or more in todays prices and you should get one for about 30/80 dollars.

Yes I love all these other brands but some of Tasco's Products Stand out Too and Im not saying that Tasco are better than the others But its just a fact that That is what I happen to be using at the time, And if you look after them theres no reason why they wont last for at leased 10/20 years I bought my spotting scope for around $300 back then and its way better than the Latest scopes of that price range,

Good Luck with you search,

John

leupolds are made in a state of the art facility on planet pandora where they utilize the latest marketing...i meant optics technology such as unobtanium and icbeter and lookfaronium to create unparralleled optical illusions such as an $8000 price tag on a mark 8.
Ohh and all the other stuff is made in china by the same guys who build leapers scopes and are paid $893 yen an hour ($.19 cents a day). Luckily leup-old bought them all plastic gloves for in the bathroom....seems to have cut down on the muddy glass comments by some.
lmao

Gosh that was a lot of brain damage to get thru....but Ive read it all now.
I think this site is being taken over by people who do not and never have accomplished what this site is about.
There were posts on here saying you dont need a scope any better than some kind of simmons from some guy in minnesota. Probly right in MN not even close where I live.
The kinds of scopes being listed were fine for treestand hunting and the guys defending them obviously considered 400 to be a long ways away. HUH?
Good luck with the $200 scope on a 198" whitetail bedded in indian grass at 890 yds. You wont even see him in bright sunlight with a $200 scope. You might see a white patch but thats it.
So many people on here dont LRH and yet love to post thier vast knowledge here.
The admin here should break this site up into two parts. The LRH guys and everyone else. Everyone else is clogging up the real LRH knowledge with a bunch of walmart crap for treestand hunting at 200 yds. 200 yds is not LRH. 600 really isnt either with a real setup and a brain.
A lot of the posters who have found this website need to keep in mind that thier experience at LRH doesnt qualify them for much more than a hello post and thats it. Im not trying to be an *** but there is just way too much misguided stupidity posted on here most of which seems to come from guys who live places that they couldnt shoot 1k if thier lives depended on it.
If I was guessing this is why Len made the ELR sub forum so that those of us who really know something will have some peace and quiet.
To the OP I applaud the spirit of the post. I buy vortex for a reason....but there arent any $100 LRH scopes on this planet and putting that scope out on a LRH forum killed the whole deal.

This is not A fair comment !!, The person who started this thread was merely trying to show those less fortunate the options out their in order for them to take Part, If you kill off there dreams before they really get the bug then thats a crime in its self,

As for weather anyones experiance qualifies them for much more than a hello post Is Not for you to decide, even you had to start somewhere AS DID I, How are these people going to learn to shoot 1K+, as you put it unless we show them or give them tips on how to raise their game, but that only comes from experiance and if we The experianced dont show them and try to Help/Teach them then whats this forum about,

there should'nt be any Sub forums, why does there have to be an us and them theme to it, I have met some really great people here and all of which have always gone that extra mile to answer Good Bad and Dumb questions, I believe those people are the true LRH shooters here.

Most of they guys on this thread dont have deep pockets and I bet they would love to buy S&Bs or NFs by the Box but they have to do the best they can, it dont matter weather they can hit the target at a 100yds or 1000 at leased they are trying and I will always welcome that Pioneer spirit that Drives them on to succeed and I will always support That same Pioneer spirit that founderd the US in the first place,

Bleesin's to All, John

My only comment on Tasco is it's cheap. Long lasting, questionable. I bought one for a handgun a while back, touched it off one time (to sight it in) and the ocular lens fell out.:D Didn't realize it at first but the image got really fuzzty....:). I looked again and realized it has no ocular lens and it fell in the grass and was lost in space.

Should have resold it on Flea Bay...lol

This is not A fair comment !!, The person who started this thread was merely trying to show those less fortunate the options out their in order for them to take Part, If you kill off there dreams before they really get the bug then thats a crime in its self,

As for weather anyones experiance qualifies them for much more than a hello post Is Not for you to decide, even you had to start somewhere AS DID I, How are these people going to learn to shoot 1K+, as you put it unless we show them or give them tips on how to raise their game, but that only comes from experiance and if we The experianced dont show them and try to Help/Teach them then whats this forum about,

there should'nt be any Sub forums, why does there have to be an us and them theme to it, I have met some really great people here and all of which have always gone that extra mile to answer Good Bad and Dumb questions, I believe those people are the true LRH shooters here.

Most of they guys on this thread dont have deep pockets and I bet they would love to buy S&Bs or NFs by the Box but they have to do the best they can, it dont matter weather they can hit the target at a 100yds or 1000 at leased they are trying and I will always welcome that Pioneer spirit that Drives them on to succeed and I will always support That same Pioneer spirit that founderd the US in the first place,

Bleesin's to All, John

Very true, John. Thanks for standing up for us "green horns". When I first joined this sight, I hadn't shot anything beyond my local 100 yard range. No one in my family is a marksmen, by ANY means, an I had to teach myself to shoot. My only gun was an old Remington 788 .308 and a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40. I remember going to the range and shooting at 300 yards, and wondering why I couldn't find paper using Kentucky Windage!

I would ask what seem like a stupid questions, like "what does ffp mean?" and "whats a mil?" for the longest time, i thought paralax was a pokemon! However, after a lot of research, and saving every penny, and practicing form on my .17 HMR and .22lr, I have become quite the proficient shooter. I know own a Savage 10FP bedded into a B&C medalist. I lapped the Burris XTR rings and mounted my Weaver Tactical EMDR 3-15x50 in them snugly. It's a very proficient system, and I consistently shoot sub-MOA with factory (you heard me) Hornady 168gr match ammo.

The only dumb question is the one not asked. I have a lot of practice to go before I attempt an animal at long range, but I'm getting closer...

As for the original post, I have to say that a SWFA SS is arguably the best value in long range optics. If you have a dedicated long range shooter, you just can't go wrong. I plan on getting a 10x for my Savage BMag in .17 Winchester Super Mag! I also love my $80 Cabelas 8x32 binocs. Made my luepold, they have great glass and are always clear.

Very true, John. Thanks for standing up for us "green horns". When I first joined this sight, I hadn't shot anything beyond my local 100 yard range. No one in my family is a marksmen, by ANY means, an I had to teach myself to shoot. My only gun was an old Remington 788 .308 and a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40. I remember going to the range and shooting at 300 yards, and wondering why I couldn't find paper using Kentucky Windage!

I would ask what seem like a stupid questions, like "what does ffp mean?" and "whats a mil?" for the longest time, i thought paralax was a pokemon! However, after a lot of research, and saving every penny, and practicing form on my .17 HMR and .22lr, I have become quite the proficient shooter. I know own a Savage 10FP bedded into a B&C medalist. I lapped the Burris XTR rings and mounted my Weaver Tactical EMDR 3-15x50 in them snugly. It's a very proficient system, and I consistently shoot sub-MOA with factory (you heard me) Hornady 168gr match ammo.

The only dumb question is the one not asked. I have a lot of practice to go before I attempt an animal at long range, but I'm getting closer...

As for the original post, I have to say that a SWFA SS is arguably the best value in long range optics. If you have a dedicated long range shooter, you just can't go wrong. I plan on getting a 10x for my Savage BMag in .17 Winchester Super Mag! I also love my $80 Cabelas 8x32 binocs. Made my luepold, they have great glass and are always clear.

You are more than welcome my friend !!

I would never have won the medals I got if A Vietnam Vet had not given me just a hint of what could be done, he never showed me much but he gave me the ideas and I went on from there and within 3 months I was gettin medals,

When I first started this quest I soon learn that the most important part of you equipment is not the rifle or the scope

It's you EARS because you use them to interprate the information that is offered and you go on from there, there is more but if you need help just call,

I think your setup will not limit your success So never give up and never hold back

Blessin's John

You guys can play with whatever cheap scopes you want......I'll have to stick with Zeiss. I cant afford anything "better" and wont allow myself to buy any of the cheap junk thats on the market!

You guys can play with whatever cheap scopes you want......I'll have to stick with Zeiss. I cant afford anything "better" and wont allow myself to buy any of the cheap junk thats on the market!

I own many differing priced optics from 150 up to 1800+ but they dont have anything to do with this topic,

Yes Zeiss is Ultra cool, and these guys will move up that ladder as they get past the basics as their skills grow along with the sheer desire to want to get better and better and keep going with this hobby/Skill

congrats on the Optics, (A thing of Beauty)

John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts