high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Gosh that was a lot of brain damage to get thru....but Ive read it all now.
I think this site is being taken over by people who do not and never have accomplished what this site is about.
There were posts on here saying you dont need a scope any better than some kind of simmons from some guy in minnesota. Probly right in MN not even close where I live.
The kinds of scopes being listed were fine for treestand hunting and the guys defending them obviously considered 400 to be a long ways away. HUH?
Good luck with the $200 scope on a 198" whitetail bedded in indian grass at 890 yds. You wont even see him in bright sunlight with a $200 scope. You might see a white patch but thats it.
So many people on here dont LRH and yet love to post thier vast knowledge here.
The admin here should break this site up into two parts. The LRH guys and everyone else. Everyone else is clogging up the real LRH knowledge with a bunch of walmart crap for treestand hunting at 200 yds. 200 yds is not LRH. 600 really isnt either with a real setup and a brain.
A lot of the posters who have found this website need to keep in mind that thier experience at LRH doesnt qualify them for much more than a hello post and thats it. Im not trying to be an *** but there is just way too much misguided stupidity posted on here most of which seems to come from guys who live places that they couldnt shoot 1k if thier lives depended on it.
If I was guessing this is why Len made the ELR sub forum so that those of us who really know something will have some peace and quiet.
To the OP I applaud the spirit of the post. I buy vortex for a reason....but there arent any $100 LRH scopes on this planet and putting that scope out on a LRH forum killed the whole deal.

there is a reason why there is more then 1 optic maker on this planet. if you want to spend $100 on a scope go for it. if you want to spend over $2000 on one i say go for it. it is what ever you can afford.
i have a $40 bushnell on my 10/20 a $600 kahles on my styer and $800 leupy on my sako. the bushnell does exactly what i want it and need it to since it is just a plinker. but it doesnt hold a candel to the kahles of the leupy in low light situations. it has also been replaced several times do to the scope just not holding zero. and after years of use i have never had a single problem with the kahles or leupy. like i said if you like X brand over Y brand get it. but there is a reason why a nikon cost more then a tasco

Gosh that was a lot of brain damage to get thru....but Ive read it all now.
I think this site is being taken over by people who do not and never have accomplished what this site is about.
There were posts on here saying you dont need a scope any better than some kind of simmons from some guy in minnesota. Probly right in MN not even close where I live.
The kinds of scopes being listed were fine for treestand hunting and the guys defending them obviously considered 400 to be a long ways away. HUH?
Good luck with the $200 scope on a 198" whitetail bedded in indian grass at 890 yds. You wont even see him in bright sunlight with a $200 scope. You might see a white patch but thats it.
So many people on here dont LRH and yet love to post thier vast knowledge here.
The admin here should break this site up into two parts. The LRH guys and everyone else. Everyone else is clogging up the real LRH knowledge with a bunch of walmart crap for treestand hunting at 200 yds. 200 yds is not LRH. 600 really isnt either with a real setup and a brain.
A lot of the posters who have found this website need to keep in mind that thier experience at LRH doesnt qualify them for much more than a hello post and thats it. Im not trying to be an *** but there is just way too much misguided stupidity posted on here most of which seems to come from guys who live places that they couldnt shoot 1k if thier lives depended on it.
If I was guessing this is why Len made the ELR sub forum so that those of us who really know something will have some peace and quiet.
To the OP I applaud the spirit of the post. I buy vortex for a reason....but there arent any $100 LRH scopes on this planet and putting that scope out on a LRH forum killed the whole deal.

Agree with most of what you said and I have no place for a $100 scope but am I to assume that if you live in the midwest the east coast or the south you can't possibly be an LRH. I can step out my back door and shoot past a mile not that I could hit much but I'm working on it I take at least 2 trips west every year. Len lives in Mi. does that mean he is not an LRH. Could you clarify what a real setup is maybe mine doesn't qualify just want to make sure before I waste my time and money on any more hunting ventures. Thanks in advance for your insight.lightbulb

Agree with most of what you said and I have no place for a $100 scope but am I to assume that if you live in the midwest the east coast or the south you can't possibly be an LRH. I can step out my back door and shoot past a mile not that I could hit much but I'm working on it I take at least 2 trips west every year. Len lives in Mi. does that mean he is not an LRH. Could you clarify what a real setup is maybe mine doesn't qualify just want to make sure before I waste my time and money on any more hunting ventures. Thanks in advance for your insight.lightbulb

It does matter where you live to some extent. I guide treehunters every year who cant even see a deer at 400 in short grass. If you dont live where you commonly look past 880 or 1/2 mile your eyes dont work right at LR. That being said there are lotsa guys who strive to shoot LR in the eastern US etc. They set up to do it and know what they are doing.
I dont have a choice. Everything is 400+ on a wheatfield thats 2000 acres. Get good at LR or go home.
The real point is that this is becoming a hunting website(used very loosely) and not a LRH website. The content is being diluted by people who have 0 business posting anything other than a welcome to the board post.
This has already had a massive effect from when I joined and if no one says anything it just gets worse.
The newbs need to learn before they post but that isnt how it is any more. Too bad.
I ASSume you are joking about a good setup but if you are regularly missing anything larger than prairie dogs at 600 with the following youve got issues. 600 really is close.
1 .5 moa gun (Got a bunch 338 is fav)
2 accurate LRF(swarov)
3 Accurate tracking scope(NF)
4 handloads
5 weather station
6 BALLISTIC PROGRAM
7 steady rest (I carry a front rest and rear bag in my pack)
Done deal.

I do agree there is a lot of chatter on here, but it takes time for peolpe to work up to LRH. When I read Len's post' I gather his longer range harvests typically don't exceed 750 yards. Yet when I read yours, you talk like long range starts at 600? Interesting to see how the owner of site views long range. You seem interested in extreme range shooting and hunting to me. Less than 1% of hunters have taken game at over 750 yards I gather. Why do think this site is for you only. Your a 1%er and it doesn't seem like the actual owner of the site is?

Maybe you should read your own post and just plain take a critical look at yourself from what we think of you? Are you familiar with the concept of "self humility." You don't appear to have a lot of schooling in that. I do believe in God, I don't think you are him.

Maybe you can take the chip off your shoulder and just enjoy the site.

Don't read this post or listen to me though.

Let's all work on acceptance in the New Year.

Happy Happy and be safe everyone.

It does matter where you live to some extent. I guide treehunters every year who cant even see a deer at 400 in short grass. If you dont live where you commonly look past 880 or 1/2 mile your eyes dont work right at LR. That being said there are lotsa guys who strive to shoot LR in the eastern US etc. They set up to do it and know what they are doing.
I dont have a choice. Everything is 400+ on a wheatfield thats 2000 acres. Get good at LR or go home.
The real point is that this is becoming a hunting website(used very loosely) and not a LRH website. The content is being diluted by people who have 0 business posting anything other than a welcome to the board post.
This has already had a massive effect from when I joined and if no one says anything it just gets worse.
The newbs need to learn before they post but that isnt how it is any more. Too bad.
I ASSume you are joking about a good setup but if you are regularly missing anything larger than prairie dogs at 600 with the following youve got issues. 600 really is close.
1 .5 moa gun (Got a bunch 338 is fav)
2 accurate LRF(swarov)
3 Accurate tracking scope(NF)
4 handloads
5 weather station
6 BALLISTIC PROGRAM
7 steady rest (I carry a front rest and rear bag in my pack)
Done deal.

Todd,
Not trying to get in ****ing contest,the point I was wanting to make is that the majority of those on this site are LRS(long range shooters) who practice to be capable of becoming a LRH. I would bet that you do more shooting than hunting, having the equip. and then only using it to hunt would be irresponsible, I don't think you are that, when I first stared using this site it was for the purpose of learning what I could as far as equip. choice,tecniques to follow and general information I received all of that and then some I'm thinking that was Len's reason for this site so we could all learn and experience from each others accomlishments, and yes failures. I will bet that I became a more proficient shooter faster than those of you that started playing the game long before I did, that is because of the vast amount of knowledge I received from this site and guys like you. To post that a $100 scope has a place on this site maybe not so good an idea but to gain the knowledge of what it DOES take to be successful in the equip. you should consider will help the op and those that PAY attention.

I was kind of joking on my equipment.
No 338's for me though don't care for the recoil.
7mm rem. just barley over 1/4moa out to 1000 which at this time is as far as I shoot,( I feel that is on the edge of it's ability to harvest game effectivley). Building 300 Win Mag thanks to Broz and his posts on his success.
I use bergers
Nightforce
Lecia 1600
Kestrel
Xbal, shooter,
Been handloading for over 35 years.
Front rest and rear bag also.
And all the LRS practice I can get.
Am I good to go? Hope so:D

When it comes to scope cost and hunting I over heard a salesperson at a gun store tell a customer.

"You need to spend $1 on a scope for every yard of range you want to hunt at a minimum." In other words want to hunt at $1,000 yards you need at a minimum a $1000 scope. On It's surface I think the guy had a great point.

Another test I have thought about is take a few poker card of the same suite and place the face cards on a target at the max range you want to hunt. If you cant correctly identify all the cards than your scope isn't good enough.

Of course my opinion is if you aren't sure the bargain scope you are buying will work than you probably shouldn't buy it.

I dont really care what anyone thinks of me....obviously lol.
I DO CARE about wounded animals running around.
A lot of the advice being dispensed here will result in more wounded animals. This is unacceptable to me and should be to everyone IMO.
I post here to help people but in the end I dont want to see game suffer.
A lot of posts if taken at face value will end in game suffering.
Thats why I will go a tad further to stop someone who has no experience from posting BS.
Im not saying that this site is only for people who HAVE KILLED game past 750, Im saying that someone who has never taken game past 750 shouldnt be opining on how its done.
If you dont know what you are talking about fine buut include that in your post.
There are a lot of good dudes on here , but there are a lot of guys posting about things they have never done,researched or studied. Thats all I would like to see stop.
Remember every time you give advice it might result in a wounded animal or dead hunter. I think advice is given waaaaaay too lightly here. If I post on something I know it 100%.
And yes 600 is the START of LR....at least according to the NRA. Where I live 600 is mid range really. If you cant tattoo something at 600 with absolute regularity there is an issue somewhere.
I have tried to balance my posts by remembering that I'm dealing with folks who dont do this for a living and who live where they cant shoot 1-2k whenever they want. Problem is its hard to tell people they are wrong and them not take it in a bad way. If we were in the same room its easy,on the web,not so much.Too many guys on here cant handle being told they are wrong. You guys just told me I was wrong for my attitude and Im not mad Im just trying to fix it. I find it difficult to not call out when I see bad advice that might cause problems and trust me I have toned my posts down lol. If everyone would post what they know is true then we wouldnt be having this conversation. Unfortunately many posts are rooted in misinformation from bullet,scope and gun makers that now someone believes is the gospel.
In the end it comes down to caring about whoever reads these posts with horrible advice in them and the game they hunt.

I do agree there is a lot of chatter on here, but it takes time for peolpe to work up to LRH. When I read Len's post' I gather his longer range harvests typically don't exceed 750 yards. Yet when I read yours, you talk like long range starts at 600? Interesting to see how the owner of site views long range. You seem interested in extreme range shooting and hunting to me. Less than 1% of hunters have taken game at over 750 yards I gather. Why do think this site is for you only. Your a 1%er and it doesn't seem like the actual owner of the site is?

Maybe you should read your own post and just plain take a critical look at yourself from what we think of you? Are you familiar with the concept of "self humility." You don't appear to have a lot of schooling in that. I do believe in God, I don't think you are him.

The NRA calls 600 as the BEGINNING of LR. So I just go with that.
I certainly dont feel godlike so I must not be. But I do know when someone is endangering game and hunters with bad advice. I would love to kick back and enjoy the site but would you enjoy going to church with a preacher who wanted you to throw your money away on bad products, torture animals and yourself?
Thats what a lot of guys posting here on things they have no clue about are doing.
Happy new year to all and remember one thing. Im not doing this for me its for the hunters and hunted and I do take it seriously.

That's good to know about the Vortex. On problem I have is the leade needed for a running shot on a yote or wolf. Some of the lower end Scopes like the Burris E1 because reticule and the Bushnell DOA have hold off dots or bars with hash marks. I thin.k the DOA reticule would be the better of the 2 .
A 300 yard shot at 40 MPH is something I haven't been able to master yet.

That's good to know about the Vortex. On problem I have is the leade needed for a running shot on a yote or wolf. Some of the lower end Scopes like the Burris E1 because reticule and the Bushnell DOA have hold off dots or bars with hash marks. I thin.k the DOA reticule would be the better of the 2 .
A 300 yard shot at 40 MPH is something I haven't been able to master yet.
Please holler if you do figure the running shot out cuz I sure havent.

Todd, sorry I did take a cheap shot. I know you mean well and you are way ahead of me in long range but the sport is just bringing so many into the game it is scary. The only person I'm responsible for is myself. I am truly not at the confidence level to take the long shots yet, maybe someday. I assume most people are ethical but I'd guess many more are not. If people take hunting seriously, any shot should be to try for a 1 shot kill, we'd be better off. I saw a guy take 3 ridiculous shots at a running deer this year on the last day. It sickened me and he thought, he might of winged it!? My neighbor found a dead doe on the edge of our shared property that night. It really ****ed me off. And it's down right dangerous to boot. No way he could have known the final destination of the bullet on all 3 shots. I'm gonna tell him no more of that or I won't let him hunt with me. Just bad thoughtless shot selection and outright unsafe an experience. Keep up the good recommendations you have.

Happy New Year...

Long range for me is having to go to the bathroom on the freeway and the next get off is 20 miles up the road.......:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts