high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

OHhhh Dear, Seems like Tasco Has made it into the Movie's, SO that settles it they Must be the BEST Scopes on Earth !!!! Lol

John

a lot of guys say optics is what makes long shots possible. well there were many matches shot at over 1000 yds with BP 45/70's and their crude sites. then other guys say optics make the rifle well there were millions of men killed in all the wars with open sites and I doubt they think the rifles were no good. the Russian sniper with the most kills in history did it with iron sites on his mosin. buffalo were shot at over 1500 yds with open sites. I shot M1A's at 600 with the peep sites. optics make it easier that is it like taking a quad to your hunting spot instead of walking

Well from what I see within this thread cheap optics are great and they do make shooting fun if your on a limited Budget and weather we use peep sights , NightForce scopes to the ever popular Tasco's its the Magic of the moment of shooting that really matters, Just like cars and Trucks they dont know what badge it on them But we do and that is where the problem is,

If its a chevy, ford or Dodge it will still get you there if used correctly, and a Rifle will still hit the Target weather its got a High or Low budget scope or Good ole Iron sights,

John

the Russian sniper with the most kills in history did it with iron sites

That would be a Finnish sniper, Simo Häyhä. He didn't use optics simply because it allowed him to keep his head lower.

Simo Häyhä - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His kills were fairly short distance as most sniper kills are.

High quality optics will allow you to hunt at poor conditions and, where allowed, with moonlight during night. Poor optics will not and some will make you cut your hunt short due to no visibility.

Sami you are correct it was when the Russians invaded finland but are you sure about the close shots? seems easy to get return fire. there is no doubt good optics make it a lot easier. Remember the palma matches shot at 1000 yds by highly modified rifles mostly .308 and aperture sites what those guys do is amazing. a good read is to look up a guy named pope who made his own barrels and shot offhand at unbelievable ranges. I forgot his first name

Sami you are correct it was when the Russians invaded finland but are you sure about the close shots? seems easy to get return fire. there is no doubt good optics make it a lot easier. Remember the palma matches shot at 1000 yds by highly modified rifles mostly .308 and aperture sites what those guys do is amazing. a good read is to look up a guy named pope who made his own barrels and shot offhand at unbelievable ranges. I forgot his first name

Simo's kills were up to 400m so fairly short distances. He got over 700 total kills in less than 100 days so that does tell quite a bit of the type of battles that were going on at that front. His war ended in 1940 as he got hit in the jaw with an explosive bullet.

You have to keep in mind the competition shooting takes place during bright daylight.

simohayhaold.jpg

Simo_hayha_second_lieutenant_1940.png

Quote:-You have to keep in mind the competition shooting takes place during bright daylight

Well most of the time the weather was good but we did get soaked a few times and other times when storms came over we would have to finish the shoot the following week, Sometimes If I was not doing too good I did'nt mind other times we just put up with it,

John

yes John I have shot M1A's in the rain where we had to cover the flashider with whatever we could find being the rain drops would fall thru the slots and wing the shots every which way but loose lol the clearest scope I ever looked thru by far is a pentax 4x12 gameseeker which is $69 on sportsmans guide. I have two. at gander mt they have about 40 scopes from 100-1000 and I cannot see any difference in clarity. being the store is so big I can look at the many signs there to more then 100 yds. I was stunned that the zeiss looked the same to me then a $150 bushnell. I am glad I found this site very knowledgable men here and they act like classy gentlemen

yes John I have shot M1A's in the rain where we had to cover the flashider with whatever we could find being the rain drops would fall thru the slots and wing the shots every which way but loose lol the clearest scope I ever looked thru by far is a pentax 4x12 gameseeker which is $69 on sportsmans guide. I have two. at gander mt they have about 40 scopes from 100-1000 and I cannot see any difference in clarity. being the store is so big I can look at the many signs there to more then 100 yds. I was stunned that the zeiss looked the same to me then a $150 bushnell. I am glad I found this site very knowledgable men here and they act like classy gentlemen

uka, I agree with the current efforts all scope makes are doing I find it very hard to tell the differance between all the budget models and then the mid range model have very little differance between that group and with the Top End scopes its more a matter of preferance and features, I like the lower end gear for a few reasons, 1) They get People started, 2) they are Ideal for hunting, 3) A person isnt going go nuts if it gets damaged, their not going to be happy but they ar'nt going to rob the kids college fund to replace it, and they make good Movie Props,Lol, I just saw a Tasco in one of my favorite moves, I do own Hi end gear but I have a blend of all sorts of gear, and its just multi Tasking,

Blessin's John

John are you in londan England? I hope there is a town called London in US lol being there aint much shooting going on over there lol

John are you in londan England? I hope there is a town called London in US lol being there aint much shooting going on over there lol

Yeah, I am in London Uk but everytime I want to shoot I go up to the Hills on Private Estates or I go back to OZ and shoot

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.