Picking a low cost, long range scope

You asked about sightron scopes. I own a few of these scopes. While I've never cranked the turrets up and down. I have found them to be fairly clear glass and very positive in there movement when sighting in. And they stay put. The advise about buying as nice as you can possible afford and then some will probably save you money in the long run. Good luck

Sorry, It wasn't a sightron scope you were asking about. Must be the reason I usually just read and don't respond. I'll get it all fouled up!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck

If you really cant spend more than $300, i would look in to a nikon with the BDC reticle. I know you said you arent a fan of bdc reticles, but for $300, thats what you get, and I think Nikon has the best one.

here is one that fits your needs pretty close.

Sightron 3-9x42 SII
weight 13.2 oz
length 12.3"
a whopping 80 moa of Elevation & windage travel

MSRP $323.10
SWFA price..... $247.95

Sightron 3-9x42 SII Riflescope

Sightron Riflescopes SII Series SII39x42

I am currently researching light weight scopes for a light weight Mt hunting rifle I am building, although $400 is my minimum and $1K is max budget...

I am considering the Sightron 3-12x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope as my minimum ...... yet to decide..
SWFA price $542.95
weight 13.4 0z
length 12.56"
70 moa of Elevation & windage travel

Sightron 3-12x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope

Sightron Riflescopes SII Series - Big Sky SIIB31242

set it on top of a lightweight 20 moa base
and the 12x will help you with longer range shots

Just got a vortex HS-t, for $450. You really can't go wrong with the vortex scopes, you get a lot of features for your money. I have half a dozen of them and I've asked several questions on here regarding their quality, to ease my own mind. Always great reviews, I've pushed them on several friends. I'm really struggling with the "if it ain't nightforce, it ain't worth having" mentality. Fact is I can't afford that many nightforce scopes.... Vortex offers me all the features I'm looking for at a fraction of the cost. I will say however I have a couple diamondback's and there quality is far from the viper as far as image clarity, they do track perfectly and I've dialed to 600 on my 25-06 several times and it always returns to zero.

Just my .02

I have a Vortex hs t and although I've yet to use it much I must say it does look great. I will second what most say. Save for a little while longer and get a better scope. Threat one is only approx $250 more than your budget. If you buy lesser as I have and learned that you will only cause unneeded frustration and headaches. Buy once cry once.

Just got a vortex HS-t, for $450. You really can't go wrong with the vortex scopes, you get a lot of features for your money. I have half a dozen of them and I've asked several questions on here regarding their quality, to ease my own mind. Always great reviews, I've pushed them on several friends. I'm really struggling with the "if it ain't nightforce, it ain't worth having" mentality. Fact is I can't afford that many nightforce scopes.... Vortex offers me all the features I'm looking for at a fraction of the cost. I will say however I have a couple diamondback's and there quality is far from the viper as far as image clarity, they do track perfectly and I've dialed to 600 on my 25-06 several times and it always returns to zero.

Just my .02

Where'd you find a Vortex HS-T for $450?

Just my .02

If you document your zero, there is nothing wrong with 1 optic to use on 2 or 3 or 6 different rifles. Don't count out that option.
If you're running 6 Vortex scopes at a min of $450 each (plus the cost of rings)....that's pushing if not exceeding $3000 worth of optics.
You could get a pretty badassparigus scope for $3000

I currently have one great optic/mount that is used on three different rifles. It takes me two minutes and 2 shots to rezero when I switch from one gun to the next. I have documented where I need to dial back to, to get close to zero. Fire one round to check, fine tune the zero and fire one more round to confirm.

I'd much rather have one great optic and mount on 3 guns, vs three budget optics and rings.

I'm saving for one ELR optic, and one CQB optic. The former will ride 3 rifles, the latter will be reserved for 2-3 builds I'm working on.

But alas...it's also my .02

If you document your zero, there is nothing wrong with 1 optic to use on 2 or 3 or 6 different rifles. Don't count out that option.
If you're running 6 Vortex scopes at a min of $450 each (plus the cost of rings)....that's pushing if not exceeding $3000 worth of optics.
You could get a pretty badassparigus scope for $3000

I currently have one great optic/mount that is used on three different rifles. It takes me two minutes and 2 shots to rezero when I switch from one gun to the next. I have documented where I need to dial back to, to get close to zero. Fire one round to check, fine tune the zero and fire one more round to confirm.

I'd much rather have one great optic and mount on 3 guns, vs three budget optics and rings.

I'm saving for one ELR optic, and one CQB optic. The former will ride 3 rifles, the latter will be reserved for 2-3 builds I'm working on.

But alas...it's also my .02

Very good point. I only have a few of the HS LR types the rest are diamondbacks, I assure you I don't have that much in them. Good idea to point out, may do that, as I just picked up my first nightforce today. QDB may be in order...

Hi guys I need help please i am looking for long range rifle with 300 wsm so wich is the best long range accurate rifle between those 3 rifles ? (savage 12 VLP DBM ) or ( Model 70 Coyote Light ) or ( X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Carbon Fiber ) please i need a help or idea to make my mind on one thanks .

Wildbuck, you won't get the help you're looking for because your post is buried in this thread in the Long Range Scopes and Other Optics subforum. We're a bunch of optics nuts. You should post your question in the Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics subforum. That's where the rifle nuts hang out.

Just a follow up on my choice. I went with a Sightmark 4-16x44. About $250.00 but wow, you get A LOT for the money. It is a second focal point but you have to expect it for the price. It comes with mil-dot, red and green highlight reticla for those late almost in the dark shots or leave it off for good old black dot. Turret locks are also standard.
I love it, buying another for my other rifle.

OH, one negative. The sight adjustment and manual says 1/8 MOA per click. It's 1/4 click not 1/8. Sight mark says they changed all the info but check inside the box before you buy.
I ONLY buy things from companies I can reach when I call. They have always been there, answered questions and the tech team walks you through everything you need.

I recently purchased 2 Vortex HS MOA, been pretty much happy with them so far, the cheapest I have seen them is in the $500 sale range. One draw back that is the same on both scopes, the power magnification ring is extremely hard to turn. Too hard for the wife or daughter. Maybe with use they will get easier but as much as fellow shooters talk up Vortex I expected better quality. gun)

If you really cant spend more than $300, i would look in to a nikon with the BDC reticle. I know you said you arent a fan of bdc reticles, but for $300, thats what you get, and I think Nikon has the best one.

The Prostaff is fine for like $150. Works okay on my .243. I've got a diamondback on my .270 too. Not bad optics, certainly no nightforce but they get the job done

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.