Best value in high end spotting scope??

gusd

I want to upgrade my spotting scope. Right now I have a Vortex Viper 15-45x65mm. Want to move up to an 80mm and something that would be considered "High End".
So my question is what high end scope would be the best value?
I don't mind spending the money on a Swarovski but I feel the extra money would be wasted since I would only be using it once a year when I go out west hunting.
But then again I plan on hunting the rest of my life and being only 37 I hope to go many more times.

Find a used swarovski ATS or STS 80HD with the 25-50 wide angle eyepiece or with no eyepiece and buy the 25-50. This combo is the best bang for your buck. Purchased mine used, body only for 1700

the razor hd is a good scope, but when campared to the swarovski 80mm it loses at low light. was able to compare my swaro to a friends razor at the range at dusk and the swaro wins, every time. Like the previous poster said, try to find the 80mm HD and pick the eyepiece you want, you won't regret it.

I was leaning the way of buying a used swaro but I think the question still stands.
Is the extra money worth it ?
Because if I buy used there will still be a big price difference.

The next question would be what Swaro body/eyepiece should I start looking for.
Is the ATX/STX worth the extra money compared to the ATS/STS.
Also the Zeiss and Leica are in the same price range as Swaro how do they compare?

The ONLY way to answer this question is with YOU comparing them side by side in different conditions. Before I spend big $$$ on any optic I go to a store and compare them side to side on optical charts and in differing lighting conditions, I usually spend several days doing this. Optical quality and YOUR EYES are a unique situation. That is why optometrists have to FIT you for eyeglasses.

The next question would be what Swaro body/eyepiece should I start looking for.
Is the ATX/STX worth the extra money compared to the ATS/STS.

Yep, the STX/ATX series is heads and shoulders above the competition. In camp, we have them both. The guy who has the sts80 grabs my scope everytime I'm not using it and leaves his in camp.

I agree with toddc . The problem is the only place in my area that even carries spotting scopes is Cabelas and all they carry is Leupold, Cabelas, Swarovski and, Vortex.
Cabelas has never offered to take them outside for me but then again I have never asked to look at them outside either.
Has anyone looked thru the new Leupold Kenai 2?

As per remingtonshooter suggesting a Kowa I looked into them which leads me to another question.
The Kowa is 88mm how much difference is there when you start looking thru the 80mm 85mm 88mm and 90mm scopes?
I won't be packing or carrying the spotter very far so would it be worth the extra
size/money?

The group of guys I hunt with have pretty much all moved from the Swaro to the Vortex, I've seen many conditions that we were seeing more sheep with the Vortex but it's all about the conditions. One day last year we saw conditions where the newest Swaro could actually be used and you could see how good it was, for me that's not worth the money.

I recently bought a Vortex Razor HD 20-60x80. It came with their carbon tri-pod and the soft scope case that can remain on the scope while using it. The total package was $1,100.

So far I am very happy with the image quality of the scope but have not done a comprehensive comparison with more expensive spotting scopes.

Consider a used Leica or ZIESS also. I like the dual focus knobs on the Leica , Vortex knobs are similar.

Ive got an 80mm Zeiss and no amount of $$ will pry that thing away from me. Its insured for loss where it be broken falling off a cliff and someone snatches it up.

Heavier than the hubs of **** to carry around, it sure pucks them out when they get in the deep cover

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts