What's the best VALUE in scopes?

megastink

I just purchased a Savage 111 in .270 win as a "carrying rifle". I need some glass on it, but I don't want to spend a lot ($350 or so max). I hunt the thick hardwoods of eastern pa and 90% of my shots are well within 100 yards. Once and a while, a 200 yard opportunity presents itself.

I want an optic that it between 2 or 3 on the low end, and 9 to 12 on the high end. Needs to have clear glass, objective under 44mm (1" or 30mm tube).

I was thinking about either a 3-9x40 Weaver Grand Slam Tactical from Midway, a Nikon Monarch 2-10x44 with the BDC reticle, or something from Vortex. Id like i e able to shoot a little diatance, hence my liking of the BDC and turrets on the Monarch. also, "2 power" is best for my close range shots. I'd love a PST 2.5-10 or SS 3-9, but can't afford them.

I'm looking for suggestions for my price range. Anyone?

like my Dad always said "save your money until you can buy the one your gonna end up with " !

Geez, I put 2.8x10 Aetec's on a gun like that. Cheap and decent glass and great eyebox and eye relief.

Weavers are very solid scopes IME. Especially the Grand Slam which has excellent glass for the price and repeatable turrets on par with any scope on the market. They are also tough as nails. Very hard to go wrong IMO.

The Bushnell Legend is also pretty decent and even better are the Bushnell 3200's or Elites as they are now called.

Another poster mentioned Hawke, and they are making pretty good scopes for the price. Just make sure you get their newer versions as they have made pretty significant upgrades, especially in the glass department.

HTH,

Scot E.

I've hunted those woods & agree the vast majority of shots will be under 75 yards. Still, once in a while, a 300-400 yard will present itself and you should be ready.

For what you are doing I would recommend you go with either a Bushnell or a Nikon Monarch scope. Both are reliable with decent glass and companies that stand behind them. If either fails you will get it fixed or replaced for free.

I just stole my Dad's Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 mildot...... Sold. I've convinced him to buy a Redfield 3-9x50.

Free scope for me!!!!!!

+1 for Nikon buckmaster. I own a 3x9 mounted on my big game rifle and a 6x18 mounted on my varmint rifle. In my opinion the buckmaster scopes are a great value and a quality optic.

Nikon..! And you dont need that BDC stuff cluttering up the scope. Straight ( forget what Nikon called theirs..??) cross hairs and zero'd in for 1" high at 100 your only a few inches low at 300.

I put one of those Nikons on a 22-250 walking varminter I have here....and glad I did too. ( I took one of those *** Redfields OFF that gun)

I've heard a lot of great reviews on the SS scopes from SWFA. Maybe someone who has one can weigh in.

I just purchased a Savage 111 in .270 win as a "carrying rifle". I need some glass on it, but I don't want to spend a lot ($350 or so max). I hunt the thick hardwoods of eastern pa and 90% of my shots are well within 100 yards. Once and a while, a 200 yard opportunity presents itself.

I want an optic that it between 2 or 3 on the low end, and 9 to 12 on the high end. Needs to have clear glass, objective under 44mm (1" or 30mm tube).

I was thinking about either a 3-9x40 Weaver Grand Slam Tactical from Midway, a Nikon Monarch 2-10x44 with the BDC reticle, or something from Vortex. Id like i e able to shoot a little diatance, hence my liking of the BDC and turrets on the Monarch. also, "2 power" is best for my close range shots. I'd love a PST 2.5-10 or SS 3-9, but can't afford them.

I'm looking for suggestions for my price range. Anyone?

Ive never owned one...but what what I see and play with at the store....Id have to think that Weaver makes some pretty decent stuff!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.