Best Value in a Spotting Scope?

Troutslayer

I need a better spotting scope that I will mostly use to glass large areas to look for elk at great distances. I'd love an expensive one and I realize the value recieved but I don't have the money to get what I really want. Any suggestions on a good one less than $500.00? Significantly less would be nice. What power would you recommend?

If glassing, then get some binos. A spotting scope will kill you if viewed for extended periods of time. Once you have found the game, then you bring in the spotting scope.

Budget spotting scopes include the new Celestrons. Big and not weatherproof but great optics for the money. Review elsewhere. I use a Nikon XL and am very happy.

As to binos, I would suggest you look at the new Nikon EX Extreme ATB binos. I have a 12X50 and have no issue with clarity and resolution at 1000m and beyond. Elk are not small critters so seeing them with these is a no brainer to 2000m. I have compared them to a pair of Zeiss binos 10X42 side by side. The owner of the Zeiss and I both agreed these Nikons were better. Go figure. Dirt cheap.

Now to view their headgear may require big dollar spotting scope. How far is very far to you?

Jerry

[ QUOTE ]

Budget spotting scopes include the new Celestrons. Big and not weatherproof but great optics for the money. Review elsewhere. Jerry

[/ QUOTE ] The Celestrons are now waterproof!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.