Best <$1000 spotting scope

I have one for sale if you're interested. It's a Vortex Diamondback. It's a great scope, I just find myself using my Binos munch more than I'll ever use the spotter.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/posts/1447928/
I actually went with a tripod mounted 10x bino setup to save weight the past few years, but I think a spotter would be advantageous for me in the right situation.

All of you will probably think I'm nukkin futz but I use a Celestron 100 ED for my spotter on a Manfroto CF tripod. The Celestron has a 100mm Objective, Magnesium body and it accepts standard astronomical eye pieces so the sky is the limit on what you can get. Mine shipped with a 60X zoom eye piece. I put it up next to my buddy's Swaro on my front porch and dialed in on a barn 1.5 miles away. Barring thermal distortion (was mid day sumnmer), neither of us could discern and quality difference between the two. Using the fine focus adjustment on the Celestron, I was able to see a knothole in the side of the barn clearly at 1.5 miles.

I use mine for star gazing and birding too. It's a helluva spotter and best of all, it's under 700 bucks. Got the tripod and spotter for just under a grand.

I like the big objective for it's light gathering capability. Comes with a built in sunshade and carrying ballistic nylon case.

Having said that, I about went bust on the Swaro EL Range bino's I didn't want an angry wife over the spotter, the EL's were bad enough.

It's not light but you can really reach out and see a loooooong way.

That's really good to know. Which assaro did you upgrade to and how does it compare with Razor HD?

I upgraded to the Swaro STS HD 65mm 20-60. With sunny skies and clear, thin mountain air, there is not a ton of difference between my Swaro and the gen 1 Razor HD. Late evening and really early when the lighting is dim, there is a difference. Also, when sorta looking at a 45 degree angle towards the setting sun, the Swaro excels vs the Razor HD. That being said, the Razor HD was a good / useful piece of gear for me, but the Swaro is definitely better in every category, but you pay more.

but the Swaro is definitely better in every category, but you pay more.

Yes, and once you get used to alpha glass it's hard to look thru anything else because you get spoiled. Also, I can look thru my Swaro binos all day and not get eye strain, another thing to consider about high end glass, especially as your eyes get older.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.