High End Scopes

1st focal plane is so convenient for holdovers at any magnification.

Particularly in a scope with high magnification, where you may not be using it at full power all the time, it's nice to be able to use your reticle for holdovers throughout the entire magnification range.

I tried one and don't like them.

get a ATACR4-16x50 SFP and call it good.

I've got the 4-16x42 F1, and it's a hammer. Nice and compact (relatively). 4x is comfortable enough for the close range stuff, and 16x is more than enough high end for me. Turrets always work, no matter what. Glass is good.

I do not care how heavy it is either.... I have complete confidence that it'll never let me down in those once-in-a-lifetime moments we all experience. The scope weight is a constant for me. If I need something lighter, I'll shave some weight off the gun.

Hey all, I'm currently in the market for a new scope. I have been scouring the internet and doing research on all different brands and models for my application. I am building a custom 6.5 Creed for PRS competition, and LRH for mulies and black bear. I have plenty of shooting experience and will make my judgement on my distance limit once I have some trigger time with the new rifle. Here's my issue, I have a pretty decent budget, but I still don't know what I want for optics. I have my eye on the Steiner M5Xi, and the Nightforce ATACR, but due to the current backorder on Vortex Optics, I have ruled them out for now. I have looked at Leupold Tactical scopes, Even the Bushnell LRTS scopes, but am pretty sure I want something better. I am leaning toward the Steiner M5Xi in the 3-15X50 right now, but am unsure if that is the magnification range I want for that application. The 5-25X56 is huge, and not sure if it would be the best choice for this setup. It seems like a little bit of overkill for the little 6.5 Creed. Tracking and glass are my primary search points, but Length and Weight are coming into play as well right now because I will be taking this rifle high into the backcountry on foot. It might seem like I'm babbling on, but for a huge financial hit on something like this, I am just trying to make the buy once cry once thing work out for me.

Based on the parameters you set out - and the fact that you said you were considering the Steiner M5Xi - for not much more money - I'd take a hard look at the Tangent Theta 3-15x50 TT315M. Outstanding glass, dead nuts tracking, and weighs just under 28 ounces. Construction on par with NF,S&B, Kahles. It may not meet your length requirement at 13.8" though and some aren't crazy about the GEN 2 XR reticle.

Last edited:
I have a s&b pmII 3-20, atacr 4-16, and VX6 3-18.

The Leupold gives up very little to the S&B and NF in glass, and would be my cloice for a hunting rig. Midway put out some mk6 m5c2's for $1,500 a few months back. I'm kicking myself for not picking one up.

For a competition rifle I would probably go Atacr of the ones I have used.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.