high end binoculars

When I was younger I couldn't understand the need for expensive glass. But as I got older and my eyesight deteriorated I began to appreciate it. I purchased a pair of EL 12x50's a few months ago. I've been using them hunting groundhogs all summer. The clarity is amazing!

As someone in here already said, I think there is more difference in people's eyes than glass. I personally use just a cheap pair of $379 bushnell 10x42 binos from about 10 years ago and my friend at the same time bought a $1000 pair of 10x42 zeiss. I have looked through his side by side with mine on numerous occasions over the years and I can see no real difference. In clarity and edge to edge. My bushnells actually seem a touch brighter to me. He says he can tell a big difference but to me, no difference. So that tells me with my eyes, I'd probably waste my money buying an expensive pair.

Or possible you have a friend like mine who couldn't stand the thought of spending twice as much to find out they were not twice as good. I have a freind who will swear up and down that his high dollar off the shelf bolt gun will out shoot any AR on the planet cause it cost him so much. Then I sit beside him with my $400 psa blem and shoot under 1/2" all day and then he gets out his trusty excuse book. I to use a cheap pair of Nikon monarch bios for almost all my hunting and I have the new liacas but I really wanted them for the ranging part.

Or possible you have a friend like mine who couldn't stand the thought of spending twice as much to find out they were not twice as good. I have a freind who will swear up and down that his high dollar off the shelf bolt gun will out shoot any AR on the planet cause it cost him so much. Then I sit beside him with my $400 psa blem and shoot under 1/2" all day and then he gets out his trusty excuse book. I to use a cheap pair of Nikon monarch bios for almost all my hunting and I have the new liacas but I really wanted them for the ranging part.

I think you hit the nail on the head there because he's that kind of guy. He also has one of the best shooting custom 7RUM's I've ever seen and doesn't know how to shoot long range. If it's not in a spot he's already shot before and memorized where to turn his turret to, then he won't shoot at it. He also doesn't shoot if the wind is blowing so he can't read wind at all. I once saw him use it to put two bullets in the same hole at 840 yards, both about 36" in front of the deer because on the first shot when I gave him a wind call he said he didn't need to hold any for wind because his gun was so fast. Said he must have pulled the first shot and held in same spot after I called out a wind adjustment. Put the second shot in the original hole.

On another day he laughed at me when I was going to shoot in a 25 mph wind saying I'd never hit anything. Shooting at steel btw. He was amazed that I hit the plate at 500 on the first shot. Then he said I was lucky. So I proceeded to adjust on every shot because the wind was gusting from 15-25 mph and shot a 10 shot group on the steel that was about 3" tall and 5" wide. He said no more

Lol at least I'm not the only person that has freinds like that. Some advantages though every year he buys a new Mathews bow shoots about 30 arrows out of it tells everyone how sweet it is never takes it in the woods and sells it half off next year. Got my latest mattews that way. $300 for a year old very slightly used bow all set up is a steal.

well the ht's showed up today. I took them out in the late afternoon sun and thought they look pretty good, so I better get the old geovids out and do a side by side comparison. Holy smokes the zeiss are by far brighter. I am interested if it will hold true as it gets darker, because of the brightness they also appear to have a more true color.

Now to wait for dark.:rolleyes:

well I went out well past shooting light and the ht's still have the leg up but the old geovids don't leave much to be desired. If the ht's had a rangefinder they would be the cats meow. But I guess that is probably what the el ranges are now to find a pair of those I can compare.

hunted with the ht's and the geovids this weekend and by my eyes the zeiss give at least a ten minute advantage in the morning, by this I mean when I looked thru the geovids then the zeiss it took around ten minutes later in the morning for the geovids to have the same brightness. Just my two cents.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.