high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Man this thread has blown UP!

when I started it i had no Idea, But Im back looking through this stuff and shaking my head. Maybe others are defending there 200$ scopes as "just as good as"...... insert high end company here<--------- But from the start I said no they arent as good as but they can do the job. If you have a .338 Lapua long range means something entirely different than me shooting a 22WMR long range, wich is 300-400 yds, or Shooting my AR-15 long range which is 600 yds. Again for a .338 that is a laser beam out to my extreme range it seems stupid. But long range does not start at a certain distance, Caliber and rifle are the base for long range shooting, a 22 lr @ 300 yds is very similar to a .308 @ 1000. so is shooting a 22lr out to 300 yds not long range?

I have moved away from shooting long range with my AR-15. I now have an Aimpoint PRO and a 3x magnifier. I do still push my 22wmr out as far as I can reliably hit a 15" square plate. But on my AR-15 I had a vortex Strikefire. A very good high quality low cost alternative to an Aimpoint, I bought the Aimpoint PRO a $400 aimpoint instead of the usual $800+ for Aimpoint and mount. the difference between the two is negligible. Extruded housing vs aluminum tubing. and 3 years constant on battery instead of 5 or 8, and only 6 day 3 night settings instead of 9 day 4 night.

My quest for getting the most for my money has not ended. And even if I had the money to spend on a 3k scope I most likely wouldnt, why? because I dont need something that is military tough like US optics Or NF. a high quality 1500$ scope would do the same job, and at a lighter weight.

You guys who tell someone that they are not shooting long range, are just being arrogant snobs, sorry but its true, you think you have the best, everyone would like to believe what we like is the best, however most of us are not that naive, or conceded.

If you dont like whats being said here or you think its wrong, instead of attacking what we are doing or calling us stupid. try making suggestions, give advice. anything but be being a dick. you started where we are at one point never forget that, you didnt buy a Surgeon action and a 3k scope for your first rifle, And if you did you were just like that guy At my club with the barret 92 who cant hit anything at 300 yds snikering at my 22wmr, until I smoke you in a shooting competition. then your humbled and start to listen. BTW the next week the guy with the 10k rifle and no skills showed up with the same gun and ammo I have. And now we are good friends and he can now shoot his Barrett. AFTER HE STARTED AT THE BEGINNING!!!!!!!

I have a few nice low cost things for you guys,

Simmons LRF 600 will actually range reliably to 800 yds and its 125$ unless its really foggy and or dusty. then 400 is the limit. So it might work for you hunters
Vortex 8x36 RT Solo a ranging reticle monocular for 120$ Very good glass. and its the only reticle'd monocular i could find for under 300$
I know this Is a long range hunting forum So red dot sights are probably not suitable for most but If your like me you have interest in both 3 gun and long range shooting. As I mentioned before the Vortex strikefire a $200 dollar good alternative to an aimpoint. some things are annoying but its a good clear optic thats not too heavy. The Aimpoint PRO is a lower cost aimpoint with slightly older circuitry and less brightness settings and and aluminum tube instead of an extrusion. But for all intensive purposes the same thing, its still diveable to 150ft.
The Burris Ar-tripler is a great low cost alternative to the Aimpoint and Eotech magnifiers. the optics are bright and very clear, the only downside is the mount not rated for anything over .223, But other stronger mounts are availible. Also the eye relief is slightly critical but so are the Aimpoint and eotech versions.

Yep!! I know not all my gear (most of it) ain't the best but some of it is special and even the lower price stuff still makes me smile because I know what I have achieved with it,

I have a pretty good Rangefinder but some time soon I will get one of them G7s or military type LRFs even if I am A **** shot at leased I can BS my hours away round the camp fire about it(sorry about that outburst) LOL

Savageman69, you got some good prices there and options, even though this stuff is quite cheap sometimes I wish I was starting out all over again, because there are so many choices out there now, when I started I think the only real cheap scopes were Nikko Sterling and back then I only ever saw 1 Leupold nearly every scope was a (wait for it) Tasco Oh and I had the original Redfield Accurange with the side mount on an M14, that was cool coz you could unscrew it and take it off and it would always be spot on when you put it back,

John

John, Totally agree the stuff nowadays is so far superior to 20 even 10 years ago, ok scopes now would have been top of the line 20 years ago, Just think Carlos Hathcock's record was with a Browning M2 and a fixed 10x scope, he made a 2300ish yd shot in Vietnam with the tech they had, only now in the last 5-10 years has that record been touched 1 because of the conflicts and the extreme ranges, but 2 the technology has given really good shooters the ability to match the pure skill of one of a kind shooters like Hathcock. just think what he could accomplish with todays gear!

Im sure we would all love an unlimited budget to buy our dream guns and gear, but the reality is, we dont (most of us) So we have to get by with the best we can for the least amount of $$$$, Sure I could have not bought My AR-15 and my pistols and my AR-7 and my new set of golf clubs and stuck a 3k NF on my 22wmr. I didnt becasue that would be insane, I hope you guys hating on low cost high value gear get my point.
The best gear is always well..... the best, but that doesnt mean the mid to low mid gear cant do the same job, maybe not quite as well but it can be done. And one more point is if you scrape by on the best cheapest stuff you can afford you are tested much more than just going and getting the best. for example I learned to play the sax on a yard sale ***, and got good, very good, then when I got a nice instrument I was very very very good. My older sis started with a nice sax, she couldnt even play simple stuff on my yard sale trash. So getting used to the best will only hinder you when you have to make do with what you can get your hands on.

Savageman69, See by you not blowing all your cash on one scope you have managed to keep 3 interests/sports/hobbies going, (AR15/Pistol/golf) which is a good thing and also you can adjust your purchase's to suit your life style, Back in Oz folks are just glad you join In with this sport, Over here where I am like all Hunting this sport is for the Rich, Which is stupid because on the news today we have got Wild Boar running well WILD in the towns Ripping up Football Pitches, Gardens and the worst part is that they are not even frightend of people as I have just seen on the News Channel, They are trying to say they escaped from a farm but I remember the Fool who let them Loose in the fisrt place,
And I said back then how dangerous they can be and everyone thought I was nuts, Guess what THEY just found out I was Right,

God forbid that shooting becomes a sport for the Idol rich in the US like it is here, Its a great thing that People like Vortex, SWFA, Tasco, Simmons Redfield and the Likes have because although they are not all bargan basement items These Companies get people out there right in the thick of it and I'm all for that,

You Keep posting the figure of 3k scopes and that got me thinking If a $100 scope lasts just one year you can shoot for 30 years at that price,lol.

Heaven for bid they last 15 years Like MUDRUNNER2005's has, Hey Your $1500 UP:D Buddy, (Where's the Beer),

Blessin's John

Yep!! I know not all my gear (most of it) ain't the best but some of it is special and even the lower price stuff still makes me smile because I know what I have achieved with it,

I have a pretty good Rangefinder but some time soon I will get one of them G7s or military type LRFs even if I am A **** shot at leased I can BS my hours away round the camp fire about it(sorry about that outburst) LOL

Savageman69, you got some good prices there and options, even though this stuff is quite cheap sometimes I wish I was starting out all over again, because there are so many choices out there now, when I started I think the only real cheap scopes were Nikko Sterling and back then I only ever saw 1 Leupold nearly every scope was a (wait for it) Tasco Oh and I had the original Redfield Accurange with the side mount on an M14, that was cool coz you could unscrew it and take it off and it would always be spot on when you put it back,

John
You have a Springfield M14.......I hate you...:D

That is one of my dream guns. Paired up with a Sage EBR chassis system, and a NF8-32x56 MOAR and you have yourself the ULTIMATE long-range semi-auto sniper system.

Savageman69, See by you not blowing all your cash on one scope you have managed to keep 3 interests/sports/hobbies going, (AR15/Pistol/golf) which is a good thing and also you can adjust your purchase's to suit your life style, Back in Oz folks are just glad you join In with this sport, Over here where I am like all Hunting this sport is for the Rich, Which is stupid because on the news today we have got Wild Boar running well WILD in the towns Ripping up Football Pitches, Gardens and the worst part is that they are not even frightend of people as I have just seen on the News Channel, They are trying to say they escaped from a farm but I remember the Fool who let them Loose in the fisrt place,
And I said back then how dangerous they can be and everyone thought I was nuts, Guess what THEY just found out I was Right,

God forbid that shooting becomes a sport for the Idol rich in the US like it is here, Its a great thing that People like Vortex, SWFA, Tasco, Simmons Redfield and the Likes have because although they are not all bargan basement items These Companies get people out there right in the thick of it and I'm all for that,

You Keep posting the figure of 3k scopes and that got me thinking If a $100 scope lasts just one year you can shoot for 30 years at that price,lol.

Heaven for bid they last 15 years Like MUDRUNNER2005's has, Hey Your $1500 UP:D Buddy, (Where's the Beer),

Blessin's John
LOL! Yep, then again, in the last 10 years the old girl hasn't seen a whole lot of action, since that gun has alot of sentimental value to me, plus, I kind of upgraded from 7mm-08 to 7 RemMag, as it was my first bolt-action deer rifle. I grew up using dad's old Marlin 336 .30-30 Win. I used the 7mm-08 from about age 10-17, until I got the 7Mag, then the 7mm-08 spent most of the time in the safe.

I have too many hobbies as well. I have decided to quit some of my many hobbies and sell-off all of my gear for those... That way I can concentrate on purchasing more or higher-end stuff for my current guns and other hobbies.

I still golf occasionally, but I bought and paid for my golf clubs about 5-6 years ago, and they ain't gettin upgraded. LOL

My Son has most of my Rifles under lock and key in Oz,,, Praise be coz I would hate to go back home and find them gone, Yep that M14 is about the Best Semi Auto that they made, When I got it It was still wraped up in waxy brown paper and i spent 2 days cleaning the grease of the thing, Oh I better stop talking about it coz Im gettin homesick:rolleyes:

Blessin's John

MudRunner2005, I have just been testing my Tasco spotting scope out in the Dark in a dimley Lit street and although it is 12-36x50 if I turn it up to 36x I can still read 1"1/2 letters on a sign and read car number plates at 550+yds so even though the 50mm objective Lens is small compared to to most modern units I think it holds its Own, but even at 24 to 30x its still powerful enough and it lets in alot more light, But seeing as they dont make it anymore I think that most folks would be better off buying something in the range of 15-45x65 but because light is an issue with cheaper optic maybe A 20-60x80 would be more universal

John

Yeah, I need a new spotting scope, too. I have an ancient Simmons that came free when we bought 2 scopes at the same time, about 15 years ago. LOL

It works, but it's pretty crappy.

I am thinking about getting the Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80, or maybe waiting and getting that brand new Nightforce spotter when it becomes available for purchase. I bet it's gonna be NASTY!

Yeah, I need a new spotting scope, too. I have an ancient Simmons that came free when we bought 2 scopes at the same time, about 15 years ago. LOL

It works, but it's pretty crappy.

I am thinking about getting the Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80, or maybe waiting and getting that brand new Nightforce spotter when it becomes available for purchase. I bet it's gonna be NASTY!

Night Force spotter, did you just Rob a Bank or sell some Organs???LOL

Well Mate yesterday I spoke to the UK importer of Vortex and he said that I can have they 15-45x65 HD Version at around £500 which means you should pick one up for around $500 But the 15-45 and the 20-60 are available with a mildot or TMR Reticle which would be pretty cool, I forgot to ask him about the 20-60 sorry about that, but Im waiting to move house soon and I have aranged with someone here to buy a Leupold one, but my moving has been put on hold for a week or two coz of health reasons, I think I snaped my Timing Chain coz the doctors had to sharpen their knives,lol

Blessins John

Mildot, I know what you mean the M!4 is one sexy rifle, and as far as wax paper and cosmoline go I hate that stuff, I bought a brand new in box CZ-85 pistol that was made in 92 for $200 bucks a few years ago and it took an overnight soak in WD-40 just to make it possible to clean. and since it was Made in Czechoslovakia they had some weird communist cosmoline that ruined the factory plastic grips, they were all soft and brittle after almost 20 years in that grease packing crap. but now I LOVE THAT GUN!!!!!

I just wish I could get a hold of a real M14....I had the chance a few years back, but couldn't save the $2,800 they wanted for it.

I figured if my last spotting scope was cheap and lasted 15 years, then a really nice one should last 30.

I'm glad to hear about positive experiences in lower cost or older optics to be bought and do the job. I really encourage those experiences myself. Hearing negative 1 time experiences doesn't really help me. When I graduate to longer distances, I'll have learned enough to spend the big money.

On page 72 in the new issue of VARMINT HUNTER magazine, there is an article regarding a new 4-16AO scope imported by Crossman (manufacturer of air guns) . They call it a CenterPoint and it retails for $100 with a $70 street price. The author of this article gives it good marks after he shot it on a .222. He does not say where it was made, but probably some low level Asian or Mideast country.

Personally, I would not buy it. If I spend $5K or more on a hunting trip, I do not want to head home early with a broken scope. Give me a good Leupold, NF or even a Burris and I will be happy.

On page 72 in the new issue of VARMINT HUNTER magazine, there is an article regarding a new 4-16AO scope imported by Crossman (manufacturer of air guns) . They call it a CenterPoint and it retails for $100 with a $70 street price. The author of this article gives it good marks after he shot it on a .222. He does not say where it was made, but probably some low level Asian or Mideast country.

Personally, I would not buy it. If I spend $5K or more on a hunting trip, I do not want to head home early with a broken scope. Give me a good Leupold, NF or even a Burris and I will be happy.

I agree with you but what we are trying to point out is that everyone who shoots on a limited budget what is available and would not be spending $5000 on a hunting trip, And the fact is that when someone Spends $5000 on that trip they could not afford to risk as you rightly put come home early, Thats a big investment no matter how much a person has in the bank, A weekend huntin with the boys or weekends at the range are alot differrant than a paid hunt,
High end gear is perfect if there is no room for error involved as in tacticle environs or hi cost hunting trips, And I think Crossman are about a 1/3 or half the price of Tasco the last time I checked,

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.