Stone Glacier 6900 vs 7900

Looking at getting either the SG 6900 or 7900 pack. My buddy is urging me to get the 6900 since I am new to western hunting and have not backpacked before. He thinks I will overpack with the extra size of the 7900 and that it's not necessary.

My argument is that it's only like $10 more for the extra 1000 cubic inches so why not?

Thoughts?

It's a valid concern. Newbs do tend to overpack.

I use the SG 7900 for around 10 days…if you don't plan on being out for around that period of time, then it most definitely is excessive. I have easily got 5 days out of my mystery ranch in a 6200 size. Just for reference.

That said, if you plan on doing long stents out, and you have some good packing habits then, with a good plan, then whatever.

However to be frank, I think you do not have a good plan. Normally, if you're an experienced/expert, you get your gear, and then get a bag to fit your gear, with some sizing considerations for food that will cover however long you'll be out.

Try to shoot for no more than a 35 lb base weight.

I have a 7900, and it is freaking massive. Nice for bulky winter items though. Packs down real small, so no bulk or weight penalty other than like DF mentioned, too easy to overpack. So big it almost makes the meat shelf between the bag and frame redundant. At that point consider a Terminus - no load shelf, and it's 2lb lighter

I do like the 7900 layout - big spotter pocket and tripod on the left side balances well with a rifle on the right.

6900 is better if you do any bow hunt.

I think 5900 is SG's most popular bag. That'd be my recommendation for someone new to backpack hunting. For reference, Exo K3 4800 spends more time on my back than any other.

My Son and I got into a bit of back pack hunting a few years ago and I still am using g my exo 3500 for 3 to 5 day trips just fine. It is very tight with no room for extras so for his birthday a couple years ago I bought my Son the exo 5500 and it is about right for up to 5 days ar a little more.
It would be REALLY tough to get your pack wait down to 35lbs.
For 5ish days my pack weight is right at 45 lbs.
The 6900 would be more than enough I would think for up to a couple weeks if packed right.
It would be very helpful for you to watch some U Tube videos on gear dumps to help from over packing.
Photo is my Son headed out for a 5 day Bear hunt with his 5500 exo

Attachments

• 20230527_143404_HDR.jpg
    20230527_143404_HDR.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 23
Oh, my avatar Pic is me on same 5 day trip with my 3500 exo. I would go with at least a 5500 or the 6900 you are looking at for week to two weeks

Thank you guys for the responses, my buddy has a lot of experience backpacking and has done his fair share of western hunts (2x solo trips to Idaho, 3x trips to Alaska, 2x to NZ). He has essentially told me exactly what y'all are saying.

Most of his hunts and the hunts I plan to go on are gonna be planned to be 7-10 days typically so it sounds like a 6900 would be just fine and have plenty of room.

Right now I am sticking to rifle hunting, but bow hunting is not out of the question.

I do still need to get a list of gear but I have a decent idea of what I need thanks to my friend. I have most of the clothing already, just looking at "camp" gear such as shelter, stove, sleeping bag, etc.

If you trust him, then it will definitely help to let him help you get outfitted. I've been doing backpacking and backpack hunting for a long time but I update my gear about every other year. Always something lighter, more durable, more comfortable etc.

So don't be concerned with getting on the best top of the line gear right away. If you get out enough, you'll start to gain your own preferences and can live with carrying certain comforts.

Learning terminology helps too. I see some don't understand the pack weights on here. Things like base weight, trail weight, and packed weight, skin out and UL weight is useful. I myself am not a UL backpacker, but sometimes those guys have good ideas that I use all the time.

The only advice I'd give, which is probably different than most, would be, buy bigger than you think you need. To dfanonymous; that's probably a true statement about newbs, I know I did when I started doing this in the early 80's. The only problem is, I never got over it!😂 When my brother started hunting with me, my pack always weighed 10 lbs. more than his!:oops: I just always lived by the adage, "rather have it & not need it, than need it & not have it." 35 lb. base weight really, my food weighs 35 lbs., a case of canned chili, a sack of potatoes, & etc.;) I really didn't do much pack experimenting until the last 4-5 years. I started with an external frame Jansport then moved to a Cabelas external frame then a Dana Design(1995?) & then to Mystery Ranch 6500 with NICE frame(2008). In the last 5 yrs. I've tried Stone Glacier, KUIU, the new & not improved Mystery Ranch Marshall, & Kifaru & one more. Don't get me wrong when I say "tried," I just bought them on their 30 day trial period, not actual hunting. Just carried them with weight to see what I liked & how they fit. The Marshall is more or less just MR's foreign made version of their USA made Military 6500 converted with hunting features. Not as good as the MR I already had. I didn't like the SG, it didn't fit me well & the material/straps were not as heavy duty as the MR. The KUIU fit me pretty good(Pro 7800) & I did like it but the straps/buckles were really lightweight, even lighter than SG. The Kifaru was the best quality of the packs I tried(except the one I got). They just didn't make a design/style or size that I liked. Funny thing is, I've come full circle🤔🫣 What I finally settled on this time, just an XL daypack.............

The only advice I'd give, which is probably different than most, would be, buy bigger than you think you need. To dfanonymous; that's probably a true statement about newbs, I know I did when I started doing this in the early 80's. The only problem is, I never got over it!😂 When my brother started hunting with me, my pack always weighed 10 lbs. more than his!:oops: I just always lived by the adage, "rather have it & not need it, than need it & not have it." 35 lb. base weight really, my food weighs 35 lbs., a case of canned chili, a sack of potatoes, & etc.;) I really didn't do much pack experimenting until the last 4-5 years. I started with an external frame Jansport then moved to a Cabelas external frame then a Dana Design(1995?) & then to Mystery Ranch 6500 with NICE frame(2008). In the last 5 yrs. I've tried Stone Glacier, KUIU, the new & not improved Mystery Ranch Marshall, & Kifaru & one more. Don't get me wrong when I say "tried," I just bought them on their 30 day trial period, not actual hunting. Just carried them with weight to see what I liked & how they fit. The Marshall is more or less just MR's foreign made version of their USA made Military 6500 converted with hunting features. Not as good as the MR I already had. I didn't like the SG, it didn't fit me well & the material/straps were not as heavy duty as the MR. The KUIU fit me pretty good(Pro 7800) & I did like it but the straps/buckles were really lightweight, even lighter than SG. The Kifaru was the best quality of the packs I tried(except the one I got). They just didn't make a design/style or size that I liked. Funny thing is, I've come full circle🤔🫣 What I finally settled on this time, just an XL daypack.............

I forgot to add, my nephew, who was hunting with me when I killed the bull in my avatar, did in the last 3 yrs. or so buy the SG 6900 & he loves it!

Backpacking is an efficiency thing. If you bring everything including the kitchen sink, then you limit yourself. Base weight, is your pack weight without consumable like food. 35 lbs is a heavy newb base
weight. Food is the reason most pack need to be 6200+ in size. Another reason might be a 4 season hike, or mountaineering. Which on this forum and for sure this thread less to no one.

Back to the kitchen sink, it doesn't matter how in shape you are, the mountains tend to have a way at wearing at you, and each pound of useless weight you carry reduces how far you will go, at how fast, while how comfortable.

That's just backpacking.

If you kill something like an elk, then you're looking at at least 4 trips back and forth and the first being your pack weight plus 70+ pounds.

I got issued the MR big d special blend in sof cross country and cold weather course. Theres a reason I like what I like..

Last edited:
I have the Sky 5900 with the cap and I really like it alot. Very versatile, as long as you get the belt right and the frame you want the bags can be changed out. Plus, some of the best customer service I have ever had.