Backcountry knives- Argali vs Goat knives vs others

finbob

Anyone have experience using these? I have a Tyto that is nice but I would like something that has a bit more grip and heft.

I haven't used either. I carry a benchmade bugout knife and a benchmade altitude.

Bugout: https://www.benchmade.com/bugout-family.html
Altitude: https://www.benchmade.com/15200org.html

The bugout is also my EDC knife. Solid clip that doesn't fall out of my pocket, very useful little knife, doesn't weight much. I use the altitude for skinning. The blade on the altitude is very, very hard and I can do several animals with it before it dulls. I usually have it sharpened once a year in the winter, after hunting season is over for me.

The Mora knives are nice. Swedish army issues the Morakniv 2000. They are sharp as hell and can be resharpened easily. But they can also break if you abuse it. I once saw a semi-retarded guy trying to remove a muzzle brake with it. It broke, and he cut himself in the other hand or similar.

I like the Finnish army's special forces knife called Sissipuukko M95 (and the smaller version M07).

The M95 can be used to take down a decent tree (if you for some reason would like that). But they are pretty lightweight for their ruggedness, and a lot higher quality than the Mora knives - which could be expected when they cost like 3 times more. I like mine. Sharp and stable. Feels like a "field knife".

You want a knife that will stay with you forever check into falknivien knives watch the falknivian a1 torture test on YouTube after seeing it I had to own a couple scary sharp out of the box stays sharp better than any thing I own. David

Years ago I think Mora made a laminated steel knife that was the best I have ever seen back then but they don't make that anymore.
I now use a Cold Steel Master Hunter knife and it stays sharp.I have gutted 2 deer and 1 elk cow with it and still shaves.
I don't cut the briskit with it as I use a saw for that.
I have an old Ruana knife the father to the Ruana knife makers in Bonner MT made in the 30's-40's and it's forged steel just like Rudy Ruana liked it.
Made with Studebaker spring steel,One on my treasures.

I just bought a folding summit from diamondbladeknives.com and I'm very impressed but haven't used it much yet and also own a couple of benchmade knives and am very happy with them but the diamond blade knife definitely has a better edge and is a little harder than the benchmade

Get something of S30V or or better...one of the super steels if you don't want to have to re sharpen much. My Bark River Drop Point Hunter can skin and quarter a half dozen big game animals a season with nothing more than a few passes on a ceramic steel, if even needed.

manitou1 which brand knives uses s30v or s90v?
I have heard the s30v steel is hard to sharpen but when you get it sharp it will stay sharp longer than many other blades.
If I were younger I would love to learn how to make my own knives but swinging a hammer for hours on end would be hard.
My Cold Steel I think is ATS 134 steel which is Japanese steel and it will take some work to sharpen it but it sure holds an edge now.

Recent Posts