Help....my wife cant see consistently through th scope.

Been there.

Combination of small exit pupil and excessive eye relieve will result in "black viewing".

Use of 30mm Leupold extension front rings (Ruger MKII SA) & 4.5-14X50 Leupold LRP scope was the solution. 50/14.5 = 3.45 mm exit pupil vs. 40/20 = 2mm exit pupil.

I also custom shaped the stock for comfortable length of pull & comb height to fit the wifey real good & reduce stress, frustration & anxiety (detail oriented with overwhelming desire for success)

Edit:
Some times comb height adjust involves glue/dowel attach piece to raise comb, looks sort of funny but works. Shorten pull, change pitch, and pleasing soft/color recoil pad easy. Cast-off change, no go. Minor rasp work on back of grip for smaller hands, easy. Less weight, means more felt recoil. Adaption for chest protuberances essential. Caliber selection real important - she ain't gone to like it if it kicks bad - the amazing, fast twist, .22-.250 loaded with 75 grain bullets, applied within capabilities, is effective. Comfortable success makes for increased abilities. Keeping up with the big guys shooting steel with their .270's, .30-06's, 7 RM, & .300 WM builds confidence.

Last edited:
Try getting some pieces of foam and taping them on the stock until she can get a good weld and see. There are a bunch of kydex cheek rests out there, I got some that required drilling and bolts, switched them yesterday to velcro so I can shoot from both sides without a bolt in my face. It will come if she can get a good weld.
And pay someone to teach her, it's like skiing or anything else you try and teach, someone else will say the same things you do, but she'll take them and everyone wins, she's happy, you're happy, mission accomplished. If the instructor is easy on the eyes, it makes it even easier.

My wife love to hunt but she has been getting very frustrated because she can't see through a scope consistently. She missed the opportunity on a buck last year because she couldn't see through the scope. Its bad enough that she's not eaven excited about our elk hunt next week.

Is there a somewhere she can take some shooting classes and get professionally fitted so she can enjoy going again.

I have tried to help but I dont know how and it normally ends in a fight, from what I can see she is shouldering the gun to low and can't get a check weld but she says its comfortable there. I'm going to make a foam riser for the stock at work today.
Have you measured her Length on pull and compared it to what she is shouldering?

Is the scope at max or high magnification?

Certainly sounds like an eye relief issue. May have to get her set up with her own gun with a shorter L.O.P. with the scope set up for her at FULL magnification as has been said prior. Turning down the magnification will increase her relief and hopefully can get you guys through the hunt. Could be a comb height issue but sounds like you are working on that

Her face doesn,t look as wide as from the photos her cheek is barely touching the stock. Lower power scope so a bigger exit pupil would help. And have her practice mounting the rifle. All caused by the rifle fitting her poorly I think. An old fashioned rollover cheekpiece might be just the ticket.

It looks like she doesn't want to touch it, like she doesn't want to get down into the gun. Is she leery of getting punched in the cheek or or the sticky plastic? She definitely needs to get closer to the stock and the scope, but I'm not sure how you convince her of that. The buttpad is in a good spot, she's not doing that wrong she just needs to get a lot closer. She also needs a much higher comb one way or another, her cheek is higher and thinner than yours.

I think you're onto something with having a neutral third party teach her if she wants to learn. One spouse teaching another to shoot is about like getting a canoe or a manual car or a tandem bike, kind of a divorce recipe for lots of otherwise rock solid couples. Can love each other a lot but not have the recipe for teaching something new to someone who's probably a little competitive with you. It took two years of coaxing, extremely zipped lips, and a trip to the deep desert to teach my girl to drive a stick even though she rode a ninja in college. Either way you gotta find a comfort level where she can extend into the gun instead of just holding it like a camera. I'd teach her how to use a sling for support then get some practice without rests or bipods so she can learn to use her body to aim and get joined with the stock, then from there see what shape/fitment issues there are.

Hate to say it...but looks like a very poor attempt to mount the rifle...she doesn't look committed in the pic...
She needs to square up better of angle in more....her left shoulder is behind the butt of the rifle....
Get her behind a shotgun and let her blast away.....figure out positioning....

I'm quessing it is the length of pull. If the existing rifle is a LOP of 13 3/4" , way to long for the average lady. On my wife's rifle, from the trigger to the back edge of the butt is 12". When I have taught young adults or women to shoot I let them feel my wife's rifle. They all have said how comfortable it fits them. They can get down on the rifle & see clearly thru the scope. Things to consider, is a persons neck length, shoulder width, arm length , & finger length. These all effect how a stock fits.

I'm quessing it is the length of pull. If the existing rifle is a LOP of 13 3/4" , way to long for the average lady. On my wife's rifle, from the trigger to the back edge of the butt is 12". When I have taught young adults or women to shoot I let them feel my wife's rifle. They all have said how comfortable it fits them. They can get down on the rifle & see clearly thru the scope. Things to consider, is a persons neck length, shoulder width, arm length , & finger length. These all effect how a stock fits.
She is 6 ft tall and every time I have measured he LOP it is almost 14 in. I have used the boyds method, the instructions form McMillan and the instructions from my gunsmith all have come to 13.75 to 14 in. Me by comparison am only 5'10 and have a 13.5" LOP and that is my custom she is holding.

After going through this thread with her I have finally got her to really spend some time on the issue and I'm going to put 1/2" foam riser on it tonight at my shop and see how that works tomorrow.

Hate to say it...but looks like a very poor attempt to mount the rifle...she doesn't look committed in the pic...
She needs to square up better of angle in more....her left shoulder is behind the butt of the rifle....
Get her behind a shotgun and let her blast away.....figure out positioning....

She can be a bit hesitant, it comes from being taught to shoot at 12 with a 12 gage slug to deer hunt.

She is actually a very good wing shot
I just need someone else to teach her to properly shoulder a rifle

It looks like she doesn't want to touch it, like she doesn't want to get down into the gun. Is she leery of getting punched in the cheek or or the sticky plastic? She definitely needs to get closer to the stock and the scope, but I'm not sure how you convince her of that. The buttpad is in a good spot, she's not doing that wrong she just needs to get a lot closer. She also needs a much higher comb one way or another, her cheek is higher and thinner than yours.

I think you're onto something with having a neutral third party teach her if she wants to learn. One spouse teaching another to shoot is about like getting a canoe or a manual car or a tandem bike, kind of a divorce recipe for lots of otherwise rock solid couples. Can love each other a lot but not have the recipe for teaching something new to someone who's probably a little competitive with you. It took two years of coaxing, extremely zipped lips, and a trip to the deep desert to teach my girl to drive a stick even though she rode a ninja in college. Either way you gotta find a comfort level where she can extend into the gun instead of just holding it like a camera. I'd teach her how to use a sling for support then get some practice without rests or bipods so she can learn to use her body to aim and get joined with the stock, then from there see what shape/fitment issues there are.

You are coming at it the same way as I am, we have worked on it together tonight and it seems with a 1/2" cheek riser it should be good. I would love to get her some formal training and a custom built just right for her but I can't be involved in that she needs to be taught by a neutral party

Well the first thing that came to mind was, get a new wife, then my wife saw what i was writing and hit me in the back of the head! I would get professional help, just saying?

Sounds like your wife and mine would get along LOL. But all kidding aside my wife rocks she rides motocross with me, hunts as hard as one of the boys and is easy on the eyes. I won the lottery with her

Elaborate a bit on the rig (caliber, scope, rig weight, brake, LOP, etc.. The tear on her cheek leads me to believe she is more than just a little upset about this issue.
7mmLRM with a brake,
McMillan A3 sporter stock
Nightforce 5.5-22 nxs
The guns LOP is 13.5. We have measured her 2 different ways and she come out at 13.75 to 13.9 depending on the time. Yes she's taller then me LOL

And yes the problem has brought tears on more the one occasion

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.