Help me design my reloading area

How many of you guys use a articulatable light? .

I'm thinking something like what Adam Savage made
1612409530083.png

or somthing like this
1612409589170.png

I mounted a Parrot vice at the end of my loading bench. Use it a lot. . .
what is the purpose of a Parrot vice? what tasks does it excel at? i've never owned a vice, and I regret it every few projects. my 3rd stall of my garage is going to have several in it, lol.

EDIT: Cool i looked these up, can flip em horizontal. Kinda neat. What one do you own? I was thinking the infinitytools one is nice. locks the vise in place when you tighten down on the work piece. Maybe they all do that.

Last edited:
Why would you go 6" deep? Not that i am disagreeing, just wondering if there were specifics that drove you to 6".
I keep bullets on one shelf, and die sets on the other shelf. The die boxes protrude off the shelf a bit, and bulk bullet boxes are 6" X 6". It's not really a problem, it would just look a bit neater. Those lights with the magnify glass are handy. I use one at my fly tying bench, and it moves to my reloading bench when needed.

What I'd do if I were going to look at what height to set the bench at, would be to measure from your hand to the ground when your hand is the lowest that you're comfortable pushing it down to. In other words, where you want the bottom of the handle's stroke to be, when standing or sitting - however you opt to work.

Then decide is/are the press(es) are going to mount on top of the bench or lower than that. Once you know those two things it should be easy to set the height of the bench top.

As my eyes age I find that an illuminated magnifying lens is really handy at times.

I keep my reloading library on the same shelf as the dies. Bullets etc. go in the file cabinet that I previously mentioned. Behind the shelf is a metal peg board where various hand tools hang or are stuck to mag-strips.

Can see the shadow that my shelf creates on the bench. Turning on the overhead light just makes it worse. I now have an LED string similar to what AkBirder linked above on the underside of the shelf and I'm working towards running it and some of the Inline Fab press lights off the same wall wort & dimmer.

i-fKHCmTv-M.jpg

Someone mentioned power, even though the garage has 8 4X outlets spaced around it's 3 walls I only have that one 4X outlet in this nook and it is not enough. One thing that I did was to move all of the spot and area lighting to the garage's main light circuit. This way one switch turns them all off, no walking around the garage turning off random lights here and there.

Eventually my granddad's big vise will be going on the fabrication table and I'll be putting my small vise on a blank Inline Fab plate for use in this area.

One thing i've seen in several of your setups, but i don't think mentioned is compressed air. Might be a good place for me to store my california air tools quiet compressor. Its amazing! ditch that noisy pancake compressor or donate to your father/friend like I did.

I keep bullets on one shelf, and die sets on the other shelf. The die boxes protrude off the shelf a bit, and bulk bullet boxes are 6" X 6". It's not really a problem, it would just look a bit neater. Those lights with the magnify glass are handy. I use one at my fly tying bench, and it moves to my reloading bench when needed.
Thanks @Ol' Red , gotta figure out what I want to do for this. Shelf spacing and whatnot.

Whole garage is plumbed in 3/4" copper (that I did install, but didn't buy) and fed by an upright 60 gal. I-R 220VAC compressor.

Those CA Air compressors are amazing. I have one of their 12VDC units for an OBA install and it is so quiet that I'm looking to put it inside the vehicle.

I use the air at that bench more for working on rifles than anything else, and even then only occasionally.

Whole garage is plumbed in 3/4" copper (that I did install, but didn't buy) and fed by an upright 60 gal. I-R 220VAC compressor.

Those CA Air compressors are amazing. I have one of their 12VDC units for an OBA install and it is so quiet that I'm looking to put it inside the vehicle.

I use the air at that bench more for working on rifles than anything else, and even then only occasionally.
Yeah but its just nice to have a compressed air hose nearby. I think i have a 40 gal 220v compressor in my garage.

I didn't know CA made a 12VDC one. i'll have to check that out for my Jeep Gladiator project.

It is the same 120 VAC compressor, only they add a dedicated inverter to run it. At least that is what it appears to be. I have a few list items to get to before I delve into that project and I haven't examined it real close, yet.

8 foot, you may want to add a second press on the other end someday or use one of these "accessories" at the same time also it's nice to have "depth" in your bench at some places and not always be fighting the drawers of your toolbox
IMG_20210204_203411006.jpg
IMG_20210204_203429708.jpg

are most 1lb and 8lb jugs the same dimensions?
can somebody give me measurments on
  • typical die set boxes
  • 1lb powder jug
  • 8lb powder jug
  • 100 bullet box
I'm impatient and want to put my shelves up but i don't own any powder or bullets yet. my die set i bought should be coming soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.