Help me design my reloading area

This is what I ended up building on a 11 foot wall in the "Loading Shed" ..

IMG_3092.JPG

The bench is a solid core door for the top. These can be had for less that $50 at local stores and provide a very flat surface .. not good for hitting on, but very thick and stable.

Then add a back shelf unit with sliding doors .. the sliding doors don't interfere with anything on the table. Size is such to hold full size books in any compartment. Primers and such are in there as well. The top center is a fold down shelf for a place for the scale to sit.

IMG_0486.JPG
IMG_0560.JPG

1612577110608.png

Drawers are on full length slides (100lb) and were sized to hold die cases and even the shorter powder kegs.

IMG_3098.JPG

shelves can be moved to any position, removed or added. right side holds other presses mounted on boards ready to be clamped to table.

IMG_1890.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG

Hope this gives you some ideas. oh .. the cabinets were made from some old solid doors taken from a remodel. very sturdy.

This is what I ended up building on a 11 foot wall in the "Loading Shed" ..

View attachment 248735

The bench is a solid core door for the top. These can be had for less that $50 at local stores and provide a very flat surface .. not good for hitting on, but very thick and stable.

Then add a back shelf unit with sliding doors .. the sliding doors don't interfere with anything on the table. Size is such to hold full size books in any compartment. Primers and such are in there as well. The top center is a fold down shelf for a place for the scale to sit.

View attachment 248738View attachment 248739
View attachment 248745

Drawers are on full length slides (100lb) and were sized to hold die cases and even the shorter powder kegs.

View attachment 248740

shelves can be moved to any position, removed or added. right side holds other presses mounted on boards ready to be clamped to table.

View attachment 248741View attachment 248742

Hope this gives you some ideas. oh .. the cabinets were made from some old solid doors taken from a remodel. very sturdy.
i like your repurposing/creative use of stuff. Air conditioner, smart!

i've seen this before, what's with all the folgers containers? various cleaned brass?

i got the bar stool and started trying to figure out how high i want the bench. My legs fit under 35" table, but would like more space I think. looking at 37-38". Looks like 4" less than the 5'11" might be perfect.
1612578861738.png

1612578896843.png

i got the bar stool and started trying to figure out how high i want the bench. My legs fit under 35" table, but would like more space I think. looking at 37-38". Looks like 4" less than the 5'11" might be perfect.
View attachment 248750
View attachment 248752
It is important to make it comfortable .. i'm in at 6' 4" .. so the table is a bit high for others. Also .. notice on front edge, electrical outlets. good access to cords don't drape over your work surface.

are most 1lb and 8lb jugs the same dimensions?
can somebody give me measurments on
  • typical die set boxes
  • 1lb powder jug
  • 8lb powder jug
  • 100 bullet box
I'm impatient and want to put my shelves up but i don't own any powder or bullets yet. my die set i bought should be coming soon.
Powder container cans vary so much in size from brands, some are 10" tall, and some are square and 6" tall. Die boxes range from 5"X 4.5" on old RCBS to just over 6"X 5" for Hornady. I stated earlier that I had 4" deep shelves, but I built 6" deep shelves several years ago - much better. Bullet boxes come in many sizes and shapes also, and every few years they change, but 6" shelves will work even the boxes of 500 hard cast bullets. I am lucky enough to have two closets in my gun room, so that is where my powders are stored. No matter what you build or buy, you will se something that might work better. My room has been evolving for over 30 years.

You might want to consider putting a sheet of plywood with a smooth finish over your existing bench top. Then when it gets all chewed up you can just replace it. You can also mount things with flush bolts from below the plywood so no holes in the bench top. You'll want cap nuts to cover the threaded ends. A large half inch thick poly cutting board is nice to have handy to avoid cutting up your bench.
Another consideration is static electricity. Carpet would be a bad idea. That's also why smokeless powder is black - they add carbon to make it conductive.
Basements tend to flood on occasion so I never have anything on the floor that can't get wet.
As far as compressed air goes it does have oil and water in it unless you get a filter/dryer. Also, the direct drive models really suck compared to belt drive models. A two stage regulator allows you to have a fixed output pressure while the tank fills and drains.

The compressor under discussion is an oil-less, but very unlike the typical of that type. Can have a pleasant conversation standing on top of it, while it is running!

Moisture is a concern. All of my drops place the QD on a 'T' 6"-12" above a drain valve, and the section of line coming into the room is sloped downhill to a drain before going straight up to nearly the ceiling for distribution. Even here on the lower-Left Coastal Desert I don't get a lot of moisture unless I'm using a lot of compressed air.

Powder container cans vary so much in size from brands, some are 10" tall, and some are square and 6" tall. Die boxes range from 5"X 4.5" on old RCBS to just over 6"X 5" for Hornady. I stated earlier that I had 4" deep shelves, but I built 6" deep shelves several years ago - much better. Bullet boxes come in many sizes and shapes also, and every few years they change, but 6" shelves will work even the boxes of 500 hard cast bullets. I am lucky enough to have two closets in my gun room, so that is where my powders are stored. No matter what you build or buy, you will se something that might work better. My room has been evolving for over 30 years.
thank you @Ol' Red . That's why i don't think i'll ever build a house. The moment its done, i'll wish i had done things differently.

The compressor under discussion is an oil-less, but very unlike the typical of that type. Can have a pleasant conversation standing on top of it, while it is running!

Moisture is a concern. All of my drops place the QD on a 'T' 6"-12" above a drain valve, and the section of line coming into the room is sloped downhill to a drain before going straight up to nearly the ceiling for distribution. Even here on the lower-Left Coastal Desert I don't get a lot of moisture unless I'm using a lot of compressed air.
This is the one i got. When i plumb my garage, i'll do the slope and T idea. I have a buddy who's an industrial mechanic. He was telling me all about h2o in your airlines.

1612631137217.png

I've never installed floating shelves before. Thought i'd add some pizazz to the project. used a board to get a uniform vertical distance for each peg, and tapcon'ed them to the brick, then had FUN drilling 4 holes that all lined up on one board. had to hog them out a little, but the shelf edge should cover up all the holes and pegs of course.

1612741520294.png

1612741554074.png

1612741597719.png

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.