Help me design my reloading area

Depending on your personal reloading process and what scales you use, you might want a separate table/stand for your scales. I run an RCBS charge master and seat my bullets while the next charge dispenses. I have to set my scale up on a separate table because the vibration from me seating the bullet sometimes affects the scale.

Congrats on making a reloading space for yourself!

Good comments so far.

A few things I've noticed about about what I've done in my reloading space:

Electrical outlets - can't have too many. I've got several brass prep centers, two dry tumblers, two wet tumblers, and a dryer. It gets a little tiring moving things back and forth all the time for my two outlets.

A separate table for scales/powder is nice since since having it on the same table as my decapping setup can cause it to move around. I reload a lot of used NATO brass, and it can take some muscle to get those old primers out. I've seen things move around on the table when decapping.

Water - it would be great to have a sink in my reloading area. I just started using the Franklin Arsenal wet tumbler, and I have to walk it out of my basement (over my brand new carpet) and into the guest bathroom's bathtub to drain and rinse. Not my wife's favorite part of reloading.

Dehumidifier - I bought a large dehumidifier from Lowe's and have it plugged in 24/7 at 45%. I snaked the drain hose to a drain in the floor so I never have any water leaks. It has made a big difference in the humidity level.

Lighting - I bought 3 of the Wal Mart brand LED 36" lights. The single lightbulb outlet in the ceiling just wasn't cutting it. I bought the overhead lights that can plug into each other, so I have the entire length of my reloading area covered.

Hope this helps!

Looks like a great start!
Just some things to consider:
1. If you run your powder scale and your reloading press (with or without the stand) on the same bench there could be issues with shock/vibration shifting zero or damaging the scale's bearings. Ditto for the tumbler.
2. Scales in general are susceptible to air currents and surfaces that are not flat/level/stable. That bench has those cool little feet that adjust to uneven basement floors, a big plus. I turn off the furnace when weighing. Laboratory grade scales have their own little 'cone of silence' enclosure to prevent air currents. My scale sits on a small granite square from a local countertop shop on top of a separate bench. Pure white granite reveals any powder managing to escape the dipper en-route to the funnel.
3. For some components humidity is the enemy. Most basements run damp but de-humidifiers are cheap. You can also use silica desiccant bags in airtight containers for storage.
4. You will probably want to store primers separately from the powder. You will probably not want to store powder directly under any sleeping areas. A big ABC fire extinguisher between the bench and the basement stairs is nice to have as well, along with a smoke alarm.
Great Advice @longestrange !!!

1. I hadn't thought of that. What if i put the scale on a shelf thats off the wall, and the bench isn't connected to the wall at all?
2. Good idea on turning off the furnace. Has a service switch right next to it. I'll make a sign.
3. I have central air and a dehumidifier running 24/7 in the basement, even in winter. I know most basements get damp, but mine is pretty consistent.
4. When you say store them separately. How far away from the powder are you talking? 1 foot, 6 foot, 20 foot? The reloading/powder area is not below sleeping areas. Good idea on the fire extinguisher. I'll mount one on the wall opposite of the bench, near the door out of the storage area. I've already got a smoke alarm thats linked to the other 6 alarms in the house, in the basement.

Sweet.

Electrical outlets - can't have too many. I've got several brass prep centers, two dry tumblers, two wet tumblers, and a dryer. It gets a little tiring moving things back and forth all the time for my two outlets.

A separate table for scales/powder is nice since since having it on the same table as my decapping setup can cause it to move around. I reload a lot of used NATO brass, and it can take some muscle to get those old primers out. I've seen things move around on the table when decapping.

Water - it would be great to have a sink in my reloading area. I just started using the Franklin Arsenal wet tumbler, and I have to walk it out of my basement (over my brand new carpet) and into the guest bathroom's bathtub to drain and rinse. Not my wife's favorite part of reloading.

Dehumidifier - I bought a large dehumidifier from Lowe's and have it plugged in 24/7 at 45%. I snaked the drain hose to a drain in the floor so I never have any water leaks. It has made a big difference in the humidity level.

Lighting - I bought 3 of the Wal Mart brand LED 36" lights. The single lightbulb outlet in the ceiling just wasn't cutting it. I bought the overhead lights that can plug into each other, so I have the entire length of my reloading area covered.

Hope this helps!
Yeah one reason I put the 2x3s on the wall was to get a 1.5" Jbox behind it, and I can easily feed additional wires down the wall if need be.

My original spot would have had a utility sink right next to the work bench. I think I can still install a utility sink pretty easily on the opposite side of the room, but I don't know if an air gapped drain above a floor drain is up to code.....I may just install it that way and then remove it if I ever sell the house too. This utility sink wont get much use, but cleaning out my wet tumbler would be sweet.

My dehumidifier and furnace/central air also runs to my floor drain and dehumidifier can run 24/7.

I need to buy 1-2 more LED shop lights to go directly over the bench. Got 1 5 feet behind or so, but needs more.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm making a list!

one aspect i'm struggling with is what height to set up my bench. Its adjustable, so i think anywhere from 28" to 42". I know this is personal preference and partly dependent on my height.

I'm 5'7". I was planning to buy an inline fabrication mount, so the press can be 4", 7.5" or 9.75" above the rest of the bench.

Any of you guys do some tinkering with heights to figure out what works best?

Last edited:
I just spoke to the wife, she agreed with you guys, i'll kick myself if I dont get the 8 footer, sucks, cuz its $110 more for that 2 foot, lol.

CORRECTION: only $85 more, price came down a bit overnight. go me!
Oh and if anybody is interested, I believe Home Depot is having a 30% off sale on a bunch of home storage stuff. These 6 and 8 foot benches included.

I know their normally like 18% off, but every little bit helps.

Lots of shelves above the bench. Can never have too many, and can mount lights on the front edge of them.

I mounted a Parrot vice at the end of my loading bench. Use it a lot. . .

If you will do anything else on your bench, like clean rifles, or do minor gunsmithing, consider mounting your press on the end of your bench so you don't have to reach over it to work.

I like your under-bench chest of drawers. I find shallow drawers very useful. Not too deep, as you'll just pile stuff on top of what's already in there.

Yes to having your powder charger/scale separate from your bench to avoid vibration.

And don't forget a golden rod for the safe.....and an electric outlet for it. Make sure the safe door swings open away from the workbench.

I've cleared a 11.5 foot basement wall to be my gun safe reloading workbench area. I'm putting something up on the 2x3s, probably some fake barnwood or drywall.

I need to decide on a 6 foot or 8 foot Husky workbench. Please don't try to talk me out of it, I know I can build one for much less.
View attachment 247943

A few thoughts:
  • I'm worried if I get a 8' bench it'll just become storage for crap.
  • I know a bunch of the stuff i have on the floor can be in drawers or shelves, just trying to think of what might be on the bench when mid project.
  • if I go with a 6' I could stand at the end of the bench or the whole side. With a 8' I won't be able to do that.
  • The tumbler takes up a lot of space, but that could be stored under bench, or on a shelf above or next to the workbench.
  • if I go with the 6 foot I could put a 2nd 30 gun safe between the bench and the future wall where the blue line is. (doubtful i'll need that, but you never know). It could also be for a hanging rod for hunting clothes, other vertical storage, or additional shelving.
Yes I think i'm leaning towards 6', but if i hear some good opinions maybe i'll flip flop.
8Foot, floor is roughly 2x8 foot with 2x3 layout.
View attachment 247942

6Foot, floor is roughly 2x6 foot with 2x3 layout.
View attachment 247940
Not sure what all you reload, but with an 8 ft bench you can put multiple presses on it. Progressive, stationary, shot shell ????

And don't forget a golden rod for the safe.....and an electric outlet for it. Make sure the safe door swings open away from the workbench.
Do safe manufactures make the same model safe in left or right swing? Or are they like Dryers, where you may have to order a special swing?

How do those work? I get that a normal dehumidifier pulls humidity out of the air, it condenses and flows out the drain.

But how does the golden rod get the moisture OUT of the safe?

Depending on your personal reloading process and what scales you use, you might want a separate table/stand for your scales. I run an RCBS charge master and seat my bullets while the next charge dispenses. I have to set my scale up on a separate table because the vibration from me seating the bullet sometimes affects the scale
^This happens to me as well.
one aspect i'm struggling with is what height to set up my bench. Its adjustable, so i think anywhere from 28" to 42". I know this is personal preference and partly dependent on my height.

I'm 5'7". I was planning to buy an inline fabrication mount, so the press can be 4", 7.5" or 9.75" above the rest of the bench.

Any of you guys do some tinkering with heights to figure out what works best?
I have mine (the Craftsman version) at 43". At 5'11", everything is at the perfect height. I'm using the flat mount inline fabrication quick change system (with the spacer, so I don't have to router my bench). Puts the presses (CO-AX and Dillon XL750) at the perfect height. I wouldn't want any press stand with lift. Side benefit is, everything is at 43" high. I don't have to reach down for anything: bullets, powder, tools, etc.
837D3328-BFF9-47BF-9180-D45979810C4C.jpeg

Work in progress. Spending all my money on components these days. Scarcity makes me loopy.

And if you are a Vet take a copy of your DDF214 to show them and you will get a 10% discount every time you buy something. Over and above any other discount. Same goes for Lowe's
With Lowes (maybe HD) you can register with them as a Vet and give them your phone number (or use their app) and your Vet status shows up. No need to have the DD214 with you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.