Help me design my reloading area

steffen707

I've cleared a 11.5 foot basement wall to be my gun safe reloading workbench area. I'm putting something up on the 2x3s, probably some fake barnwood or drywall.

I need to decide on a 6 foot or 8 foot Husky workbench. Please don't try to talk me out of it, I know I can build one for much less.
1612321327920.png

A few thoughts:
  • I'm worried if I get a 8' bench it'll just become storage for crap.
  • I know a bunch of the stuff i have on the floor can be in drawers or shelves, just trying to think of what might be on the bench when mid project.
  • if I go with a 6' I could stand at the end of the bench or the whole side. With a 8' I won't be able to do that.
  • The tumbler takes up a lot of space, but that could be stored under bench, or on a shelf above or next to the workbench.
  • if I go with the 6 foot I could put a 2nd 30 gun safe between the bench and the future wall where the blue line is. (doubtful i'll need that, but you never know). It could also be for a hanging rod for hunting clothes, other vertical storage, or additional shelving.
Yes I think i'm leaning towards 6', but if i hear some good opinions maybe i'll flip flop.
8Foot, floor is roughly 2x8 foot with 2x3 board designating bench length.
1612321155761.png

6Foot, floor is roughly 2x6 foot with 2x3 board designating bench length.
1612321137602.png

1612367996146.png

Last edited:
Nice setup you have started....will be paying attention to the input you get. I'm sorting out the same thing.
Thanks, I decided to start this project to give myself a special "just for me" corner of the house.......in the basement. Since the furnace is 12 feet away i'm not bothering to insulate the concrete wall.

i'm using this wall plank for the wall
1612322900025.png

Hey, I wouldn't think this is a problem, but should I be worried about reloading only 12 feet from the furnace?
The humidity and temp is pretty well regulated in the basement. I was more concerned about something blowing up.

Last edited:
Check out inline fabrication for some really cool stuff: https://inlinefabrication.com/

I have the Craftsman version of that workbench. It's solid. I raised it up high, so I don't have to reach down for anything.

My next step is to buy a large toolbox on wheels that fits under the workbench. That's where I'm going to store all my tools, dies, and gadgets. Thinking one with a wood top, so I can pull it out and use it as a place to clean my guns and whatever.

I like the 8 foot bench myself. Mine has shelves that sit against the wall for bullets on one end and dies on the other end. Shelves are 20 inches tall and built to 4inches deep. I would go 6 inch deep shelves, but that cuts into my work area. I have three presses and powder measure mounted and scale is mobile. Peg board in between the shelves is handy for wrenches and small items to keep them off of the bench when not in use. Lay things out before you start drilling holes to mount presses. If you have to move mounted items, I find a piece of old brass shoved into the hole adds character to the set up. Good luck, and enjoy your loading room.

Thanks, I decided to start this project to give myself a special "just for me" corner of the house.......in the basement. Since the furnace is 12 feet away i'm not bothering to insulate the concrete wall.

i'm using this wall plank for the wall
View attachment 247955

Hey, I wouldn't think this is a problem, but should I be worried about reloading only 12 feet from the furnace?
If your furnace is a concern, store the flammable stuff somewhere else. I store my powder and primers in the house, and take what I need to my reloading bench in the garage. Likely overkill but climate control can't hurt.

My next step is to buy a large toolbox on wheels that fits under the workbench.
I was planning on bolting this to the underside of the table, but maybe i'll go the small toolbox on wheels route.
1612324294536.png

Got 3 votes for 8 foot, none for 6 foot so far........

I'm also thinking maybe i'll just throw up a temporary 2x8 piece of plywood on adjustable stands for a week to visualize how it would all work out before I commit to the purchase.

I'm new to reloading, so i've got some time before I find primers. =/

Check out inline fabrication for some really cool stuff: https://inlinefabrication.com/

I have the Craftsman version of that workbench. It's solid. I raised it up high, so I don't have to reach down for anything.

My next step is to buy a large toolbox on wheels that fits under the workbench. That's where I'm going to store all my tools, dies, and gadgets. Thinking one with a wood top, so I can pull it out and use it as a place to clean my guns and whatever.
Inline Fabrication has some awesome products.

Looks like a great start!
Just some things to consider:
1. If you run your powder scale and your reloading press (with or without the stand) on the same bench there could be issues with shock/vibration shifting zero or damaging the scale's bearings. Ditto for the tumbler.
2. Scales in general are susceptible to air currents and surfaces that are not flat/level/stable. That bench has those cool little feet that adjust to uneven basement floors, a big plus. I turn off the furnace when weighing. Laboratory grade scales have their own little 'cone of silence' enclosure to prevent air currents. My scale sits on a small granite square from a local countertop shop on top of a separate bench. Pure white granite reveals any powder managing to escape the dipper en-route to the funnel.
3. For some components humidity is the enemy. Most basements run damp but de-humidifiers are cheap. You can also use silica desiccant bags in airtight containers for storage.
4. You will probably want to store primers separately from the powder. You will probably not want to store powder directly under any sleeping areas. A big ABC fire extinguisher between the bench and the basement stairs is nice to have as well, along with a smoke alarm.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.