Help me decide: Minimum caliber for larger NA game

I would lean toward the 300 Weatherby.
That being said I am building a 30 Gibbs to probably take the place of the 300 Weatherby in my lineup.
But you can't really go wrong with even a 30-06.
So many excellent 30 caliber choices.

Lots of votes for 7MM RM and .300WM. I hunted a right hand 7MM RM in the states for antelope to several Elk for years and took 30 plus African animals up to an Eland with it. Hard to beat. No MB.

Having said that, I had a left hand (I shoot left) .300 RUM with MB built by a custom builder in Oregon, went to their school for two days, and Tripled my effective hunting range - if needed I'm confident to shoot 1,000 yards plus. I booked moose and bear this year along with another African hunt and intend to bring the .300 RUM. I'm also bringing a .375 H&H…

Being new here I was reluctant to post since there have been so many great responses to your question. I'm just giving my humble opinion.

-Roger

New guy here. Hear me out and throw your opinion in the ring. I own a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed. Has been an excellent gun, exactly what I was looking for, zero issue. Casual weekend bench shooting, can also drop a deer.

Now I'm in the market for something bigger or a step up in being adequate for larger game. I don't plan on any thick-skinned African hunts in the near future, so assume just North America, probably nothing more than bear/moose.

Thoughts:
  • I already have a 6.5 Creed, so I don't really need something specifically to overlap with that. I'm good up to deer, possibly elk, and looking for something in the elk and up range. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but heavy recoil does take some of the enjoyment out of it for me. I prefer something that I can comfortably practice with, sight in, multiple shots, and never be already preparing myself for the slam when about to squeeze off a shot at game. For this I love the 6.5.
  • I am not turned off by the chassis/AR-style look of some modern rifles. I do appreciate the modularity/adjustability, and adjusting cheek weld or length of pull is a must. Function over traditional appearance for me.
  • To meet some of my recoil requirements and to not get into the heavy hitting rounds, I'm content to accept that energy will only be high enough for my larger game targets out to 3-400 yards. At some point down the road, it will probably get a suppressor, so overall optimum barrel length is a factor.

Question: Lightest recoiling caliber, available in a gun model that is somewhat adjustable, at least minimally capable of ethical moose/bear shot at 300 yds? For sake of argument, ignore cost (of ammo), ammo availability, and assume factory loads. Not looking to build anything at this time, so a factory option in gun model and ammo.

I realize all of these are giving up something in some area or another, but options I have researched:
  • 6.5 PRC – really that much better than 6.5 Creed? A lot of overlap with what I already have, borderline good enough for moose. I do really like the recoil, ballistics, and lots of gun options. I hear people shooting elk at 1000yd with them, and while not something I plan to do, does make me think a good shot at 300 would probably drop a moose.
  • .280 AI – Hard to find options chambered in this, can get an Xbolt
  • 6.8 Western – Really like what I'm hearing about this one, meets a lot of my requirements, hard to find a gun I like chambered in it, also available in xbolt. Doesn't bother me that it's a new fad, and ammo is available.
  • 28 Nosler or .300 PRC – Incredibly capable rounds, I doubt I would enjoy shooting it very often, considering recoil. Would give me some ability to tackle even larger game. Maybe I could get manageable with a brake?
  • Sig cross/.277 fury – I like the portability/adjustability of the rifle, and think the cartridge is intriguing, but probably not much more adequate than my 6.5 for bigger game? Big pro here is the ballistics out of a 16" barrel. Even with a suppressor, a very small/compact package, plus folding.
Props if you actually read this far. All opinions welcome.
Hey Brother, in my opinion you cant go wrong with the 7 mil mag

I like the 7mm 08 or 280 for larger game, if your custom loading with quality components it'll serve you well in North America. 6.5 PRC is another good option in my opinion.

Black bears or brown bears? If I were shooting lower 48 browns, I'd go with 30.06 or 7mm mag as a min. Fine for elk, moose, etc.. I'd probably prefer a 300 mag and for sure, if alaska browns I'd even want a 338. Modern bullets are so much better that old caliber rules may not hold. Browning BAR shoots well and cuts recoil. I was in same boat and that was my plan but a buddy made me a deal on a sako finbear 300 mag couldn't pass up. i never notice recoil hunting but it's not fun to shoot a lot without a sled. I also like calibers I can find. 300 win mag in a BAR is my vote.

New guy here. Hear me out and throw your opinion in the ring. I own a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed. Has been an excellent gun, exactly what I was looking for, zero issue. Casual weekend bench shooting, can also drop a deer.

Now I'm in the market for something bigger or a step up in being adequate for larger game. I don't plan on any thick-skinned African hunts in the near future, so assume just North America, probably nothing more than bear/moose.

Thoughts:
  • I already have a 6.5 Creed, so I don't really need something specifically to overlap with that. I'm good up to deer, possibly elk, and looking for something in the elk and up range. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but heavy recoil does take some of the enjoyment out of it for me. I prefer something that I can comfortably practice with, sight in, multiple shots, and never be already preparing myself for the slam when about to squeeze off a shot at game. For this I love the 6.5.
  • I am not turned off by the chassis/AR-style look of some modern rifles. I do appreciate the modularity/adjustability, and adjusting cheek weld or length of pull is a must. Function over traditional appearance for me.
  • To meet some of my recoil requirements and to not get into the heavy hitting rounds, I'm content to accept that energy will only be high enough for my larger game targets out to 3-400 yards. At some point down the road, it will probably get a suppressor, so overall optimum barrel length is a factor.

Question: Lightest recoiling caliber, available in a gun model that is somewhat adjustable, at least minimally capable of ethical moose/bear shot at 300 yds? For sake of argument, ignore cost (of ammo), ammo availability, and assume factory loads. Not looking to build anything at this time, so a factory option in gun model and ammo.

I realize all of these are giving up something in some area or another, but options I have researched:
  • 6.5 PRC – really that much better than 6.5 Creed? A lot of overlap with what I already have, borderline good enough for moose. I do really like the recoil, ballistics, and lots of gun options. I hear people shooting elk at 1000yd with them, and while not something I plan to do, does make me think a good shot at 300 would probably drop a moose.
  • .280 AI – Hard to find options chambered in this, can get an Xbolt
  • 6.8 Western – Really like what I'm hearing about this one, meets a lot of my requirements, hard to find a gun I like chambered in it, also available in xbolt. Doesn't bother me that it's a new fad, and ammo is available.
  • 28 Nosler or .300 PRC – Incredibly capable rounds, I doubt I would enjoy shooting it very often, considering recoil. Would give me some ability to tackle even larger game. Maybe I could get manageable with a brake?
  • Sig cross/.277 fury – I like the portability/adjustability of the rifle, and think the cartridge is intriguing, but probably not much more adequate than my 6.5 for bigger game? Big pro here is the ballistics out of a 16" barrel. Even with a suppressor, a very small/compact package, plus folding.
Props if you actually read this far. All opinions welcome.
.308 win covers all of your criteria. Hand loads for .308 win REALLY covers it. Not a magnum.......not a new kid in town.......just a good cartridge available everywhere on earth.

You mentioned .280AI. It is now available in a number of excellent rifles to include Brownings, Kimbers, Weatherby Mk V Backcountry & Backcountry 2.0. Although as an all around cartridge up to and including moose, big bears and the like .280AI would not be my choice. Buy a .300WM with a brake, Decelerator recoil pad and an LOP, Drop and Cast that fit you. Proper stock fit and rifle balance are often overlooked/not understood in recoil mitigation and accuracy. Don't make that mistake.

One thing to consider on a hunting rifle is weight. If you are shooting a Bergara HMR, you definitely know that this option would be tough to carry on long treks in the wilderness. As mentioned the 30 mags will come with recoil. Brakes do help, but blast is noticeable. I don't think a perfect cartridge exists to meet all of the requirements. The 280AI probably fits as well as any IMHO.

Don't overthink this. 270win with 150gr partitions would easily solve this problem out to 400+ yards. Only caveat is if you mean truly BIG bears, then I'd skip way past even 300cal magnums to the medium bores.
BIG bears-Kodiak 1300 pounds, Polar 1500 pounds, even moose up 1500 pounds....i'd be thinking minimum 338 and my preference .375 and brake em.

308win will take anything in North America. It's plentiful and has a wide range of hunting ammo. It's easy and flexible to reload for with a wide range of powders, primers, brass, and bullets. It doesn't recoil much. There will always be another optimal cartridge for the situation. But if you want something that checks 99 % of the boxes, 308win can do that.
What's not to like.

I had a braked 28 Nosler built for a premium elk tag that I knew was coming. It performed flawlessly with 177g Hammer Hunters and I was very comfortable shooting it 600 + yards if needed. I would be willing to pack that rifle for any NA game going forward.
The brake makes it loud but the recoil is very minimal, even over a bench. I also own an out of the box 300 WSM which would also do the trick. I also had a brake installed on it to make it easier to shoot.
5 pages of good options for you. Best of luck!