Help me decide: Minimum caliber for larger NA game

My choice was the 7mm Rem Mag. A recoil pad removed the need for a noisy brake. It is a light recoiling flat shooting cartridge with a myriad of bullet styles and weights. It is highly capable of taking all NA game, and ammo and components are usually not hard to locate.

300 win mag. Lots of bullet choices, ammo typically available. Run a 22 barrel/threaded for future supressor and or brake. Unless u want to shoot them at 500 + u really won't have to. Mostly you can get close to moose and bear. All 3 of my moose were shot inside 200 yrds. My bear the same way.

280ai, lots of rifle options and good ammo availability even in today's market. Moderated recoil. Heavy enough bullets to cover what you described.

28nos or 300prc. Currently ammo and reloading components are non existent.

6.8western currently lots of ammo on the shelves. Not impressed with the rifle options

Since you stated "caliber" and not cartridge, 30 cal
The ability to shoot bullets from 90-250 grains is really second to none.

For a cartridge recommendation, 300wm. You can always load lighter bullets like hammers and Barnes to reduce recoil and still have a very effective round. I'm preferential to the 215 Berger and a MB.
I couldn't agree more with @Wolf76.
If you want the easy button, especially if you're not going to load and ammo that is most likely to have high availability, 300wm is the way. You can buy factory loads that have lighter bullets (150 grains) and then other factory options that are heavy (200+grains).
There is also a plethora of factory options. I'm a fan of 300 PRC and the 30 Sherman Mag as the 300 prc is a modern 300wm, but there are limited factory ammo options at this time and it is geared towards heavier bullets, which have more recoil. I own both a 300 sherman magnum and a 300 winmag. My 30 sherman magnum (basically a 300 PRC AI), is my long range hunting/play gun. My 300 wm is a super simple hunting rig, running lighter bullets, but can still pack a punch out to 600 yards plus for hunting.

Step up to a 30cal.A 30-06 is a good choice and if you think you need more,any of the Magnum 30cals.A 30-06 with Reloader26 is capable of pushing a 180gr bullet around 2900fps with a 24"barrel,around 2950fps with a 26"barrel and around 3000fps with a 28" barrel,so really your right there in Magnum territory with a 30-06.

30-06 or 300wm bullet selection from 110gr - 230gr cover everything from antelope to interior grizzlies. If you are looking for coastal bears or kodiak 338 win mag. I personally use a 270 for hunting in AK. I know what my bullet is capable of and where to put it. Plus I carry a large backup weapon for charging 🐻. Just my 2 cents

I would say a 300 win mag or a 300 short mag he didn't say if it was black bear grizzly bear but I would say a minimum of 338 for grizzly or brown bear which you're getting up into your recoil

New guy here. Hear me out and throw your opinion in the ring. I own a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed. Has been an excellent gun, exactly what I was looking for, zero issue. Casual weekend bench shooting, can also drop a deer.

Now I'm in the market for something bigger or a step up in being adequate for larger game. I don't plan on any thick-skinned African hunts in the near future, so assume just North America, probably nothing more than bear/moose.

Thoughts:
  • I already have a 6.5 Creed, so I don't really need something specifically to overlap with that. I'm good up to deer, possibly elk, and looking for something in the elk and up range. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but heavy recoil does take some of the enjoyment out of it for me. I prefer something that I can comfortably practice with, sight in, multiple shots, and never be already preparing myself for the slam when about to squeeze off a shot at game. For this I love the 6.5.
  • I am not turned off by the chassis/AR-style look of some modern rifles. I do appreciate the modularity/adjustability, and adjusting cheek weld or length of pull is a must. Function over traditional appearance for me.
  • To meet some of my recoil requirements and to not get into the heavy hitting rounds, I'm content to accept that energy will only be high enough for my larger game targets out to 3-400 yards. At some point down the road, it will probably get a suppressor, so overall optimum barrel length is a factor.

Question: Lightest recoiling caliber, available in a gun model that is somewhat adjustable, at least minimally capable of ethical moose/bear shot at 300 yds? For sake of argument, ignore cost (of ammo), ammo availability, and assume factory loads. Not looking to build anything at this time, so a factory option in gun model and ammo.

I realize all of these are giving up something in some area or another, but options I have researched:
  • 6.5 PRC – really that much better than 6.5 Creed? A lot of overlap with what I already have, borderline good enough for moose. I do really like the recoil, ballistics, and lots of gun options. I hear people shooting elk at 1000yd with them, and while not something I plan to do, does make me think a good shot at 300 would probably drop a moose.
  • .280 AI – Hard to find options chambered in this, can get an Xbolt
  • 6.8 Western – Really like what I'm hearing about this one, meets a lot of my requirements, hard to find a gun I like chambered in it, also available in xbolt. Doesn't bother me that it's a new fad, and ammo is available.
  • 28 Nosler or .300 PRC – Incredibly capable rounds, I doubt I would enjoy shooting it very often, considering recoil. Would give me some ability to tackle even larger game. Maybe I could get manageable with a brake?
  • Sig cross/.277 fury – I like the portability/adjustability of the rifle, and think the cartridge is intriguing, but probably not much more adequate than my 6.5 for bigger game? Big pro here is the ballistics out of a 16" barrel. Even with a suppressor, a very small/compact package, plus folding.
Props if you actually read this far. All opinions welcome.

I would consider ammo availability and cost as well. For some calibers you may want to load up ammo first.

As for rifle makes Tikka and Bergara offer great accuracy for productions rifles for roughly $1K. Don't skimp on glass either.

300 PRC is hard to come by ($60/box and only Hornady makes it), as is 7MM RM in heavier bullets. 28 Nosler can also be hard to find and is expensive ($80). 308 is widely available and reasonable. 30-06 can be hard to find but is getting much better. 6.8 Western looks capable and I do see ammo for it. Might not be as popular yet.

Personally I would lean toward a 300 WM. Extremely capable and ammo is typically available. It can handle anything in North America. Not the lightest recoil

I have a 7MM RM and a 300 PRC and would be comfortable using either for what you are looking for. I reload for all my guns to avoid issues, for the most part anyway.

Have a 270 Win which you could take a Moose with at shorter range and good shot placement but I wouldn't use it.

300 win mag. If its a light gun you might want a brake. for 1 or 2 shots you don't really need a brake. I like brakes. I have to wear hearing protection anyway so WTBFD? JP Brakes
Older, lightweight 300 win mag NO Brake,

JP 3 port brake

JP eliminator brake ,..... You'll learn to love it!!! Though, the 3 port is nearly as good.

Attachments

• 20190223_115009.jpg
    20190223_115009.jpg
    868.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20190223_134832.jpg
    20190223_134832.jpg
    970.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190223_151145.jpg
    20190223_151145.jpg
    775.7 KB · Views: 42
If you're wanting to actually buy ammo off the shelves and shoot the rifle I'd go 6.8 Western. It's the only thing left on the shelves. And I actually see a lot of 300 WSM. Those wre two good cartridges anyways so you could do a lot worse.

New guy here. Hear me out and throw your opinion in the ring. I own a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed. Has been an excellent gun, exactly what I was looking for, zero issue. Casual weekend bench shooting, can also drop a deer.

Now I'm in the market for something bigger or a step up in being adequate for larger game. I don't plan on any thick-skinned African hunts in the near future, so assume just North America, probably nothing more than bear/moose.

Thoughts:
  • I already have a 6.5 Creed, so I don't really need something specifically to overlap with that. I'm good up to deer, possibly elk, and looking for something in the elk and up range. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but heavy recoil does take some of the enjoyment out of it for me. I prefer something that I can comfortably practice with, sight in, multiple shots, and never be already preparing myself for the slam when about to squeeze off a shot at game. For this I love the 6.5.
  • I am not turned off by the chassis/AR-style look of some modern rifles. I do appreciate the modularity/adjustability, and adjusting cheek weld or length of pull is a must. Function over traditional appearance for me.
  • To meet some of my recoil requirements and to not get into the heavy hitting rounds, I'm content to accept that energy will only be high enough for my larger game targets out to 3-400 yards. At some point down the road, it will probably get a suppressor, so overall optimum barrel length is a factor.

Question: Lightest recoiling caliber, available in a gun model that is somewhat adjustable, at least minimally capable of ethical moose/bear shot at 300 yds? For sake of argument, ignore cost (of ammo), ammo availability, and assume factory loads. Not looking to build anything at this time, so a factory option in gun model and ammo.

I realize all of these are giving up something in some area or another, but options I have researched:
  • 6.5 PRC – really that much better than 6.5 Creed? A lot of overlap with what I already have, borderline good enough for moose. I do really like the recoil, ballistics, and lots of gun options. I hear people shooting elk at 1000yd with them, and while not something I plan to do, does make me think a good shot at 300 would probably drop a moose.
  • 6.8 Western – Really like what I'm hearing about this one, meets a lot of my requirements, hard to find a gun I like chambered in it, also available in xbolt. Doesn't bother me that it's a new fad, and ammo is available.
  • 28 Nosler or .300 PRC – Incredibly capable rounds, I doubt I would enjoy shooting it very often, considering recoil. Would give me some ability to tackle even larger game. Maybe I could get manageable with a brake?
  • Sig cross/.277 fury – I like the portability/adjustability of the rifle, and think the cartridge is intriguing, but probably not much more adequate than my 6.5 for bigger game? Big pro here is the ballistics out of a 16" barrel. Even with a suppressor, a very small/compact package, plus folding.
If you add Bear/Moose, then a 300WinMag, 300WSM or 325WSM. 300PRC kicks hard snd really for 1000yd competition. Not fun for routine. Otherwise a 280ai is impossible to beat. 270WSM is awesome. 7mmRemMag, not a 7mmWSM or SAUM. A Really nice shooting caliber with very manageable recoil that would also enable Moose/Bear as well as deer/Antelope is the venerable 300H&H. I have and shoot all these. Of course your best course of action is a 300 WinMag or 300Weatherby and a 270 WSM or 280ai for anything less than Bear. A 280ai will certainly kill a bear or moose, but a 300 is more appropriate.

Last edited:

Thoughts:

I think most old timers would recommend a .30 Caliber - or bigger. For Bear - I don't think you can get too big - and the .375 is what an old guide on Kodiak Island liked for the big ones - but he called it a "six-bits"

I have shot one - at a mock charging African Dagga Boy - and got off three shots from the bolt action and did not even feel it.

It's supposedly more of a push - than a jolt like the .338 and you can also get much better recoil pads - even stock inserts - to tame the kick.

Stepping down in size - the .300 Win Mag has been a favorite for decades for North American game.

Thoughts:

First thing... u love your 6.5...so you could always go for head and neck shots with it out to 300 yds on moose ...second thought get a 300 win mag I had one and it's a push type recoil not bad...third get reloading equipment and reload the 375 Ruger to where it's ok for you...sounds like you will be taking trips into wild country so u will want a rifle that will back u up. Good luck.