Help me decide: Minimum caliber for larger NA game

dgascho

New guy here. Hear me out and throw your opinion in the ring. I own a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed. Has been an excellent gun, exactly what I was looking for, zero issue. Casual weekend bench shooting, can also drop a deer.

Now I'm in the market for something bigger or a step up in being adequate for larger game. I don't plan on any thick-skinned African hunts in the near future, so assume just North America, probably nothing more than bear/moose.

Thoughts:
  • I already have a 6.5 Creed, so I don't really need something specifically to overlap with that. I'm good up to deer, possibly elk, and looking for something in the elk and up range. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but heavy recoil does take some of the enjoyment out of it for me. I prefer something that I can comfortably practice with, sight in, multiple shots, and never be already preparing myself for the slam when about to squeeze off a shot at game. For this I love the 6.5.
  • I am not turned off by the chassis/AR-style look of some modern rifles. I do appreciate the modularity/adjustability, and adjusting cheek weld or length of pull is a must. Function over traditional appearance for me.
  • To meet some of my recoil requirements and to not get into the heavy hitting rounds, I'm content to accept that energy will only be high enough for my larger game targets out to 3-400 yards. At some point down the road, it will probably get a suppressor, so overall optimum barrel length is a factor.

Question: Lightest recoiling caliber, available in a gun model that is somewhat adjustable, at least minimally capable of ethical moose/bear shot at 300 yds? For sake of argument, ignore cost (of ammo), ammo availability, and assume factory loads. Not looking to build anything at this time, so a factory option in gun model and ammo.

I realize all of these are giving up something in some area or another, but options I have researched:
  • 6.5 PRC – really that much better than 6.5 Creed? A lot of overlap with what I already have, borderline good enough for moose. I do really like the recoil, ballistics, and lots of gun options. I hear people shooting elk at 1000yd with them, and while not something I plan to do, does make me think a good shot at 300 would probably drop a moose.
  • .280 AI – Hard to find options chambered in this, can get an Xbolt
  • 6.8 Western – Really like what I'm hearing about this one, meets a lot of my requirements, hard to find a gun I like chambered in it, also available in xbolt. Doesn't bother me that it's a new fad, and ammo is available.
  • 28 Nosler or .300 PRC – Incredibly capable rounds, I doubt I would enjoy shooting it very often, considering recoil. Would give me some ability to tackle even larger game. Maybe I could get manageable with a brake?
  • Sig cross/.277 fury – I like the portability/adjustability of the rifle, and think the cartridge is intriguing, but probably not much more adequate than my 6.5 for bigger game? Big pro here is the ballistics out of a 16" barrel. Even with a suppressor, a very small/compact package, plus folding.
Props if you actually read this far. All opinions welcome.

I should clarify, I'm looking for something with longer range potential. I'm thinking antelope/deer/elk-size out to 5-600 or more, but also capable of larger game, by maintaining energy high enough to work on something like a moose at closer range. I know none of these calibers will be sufficient for large game at 1000yd. what's a good bridge between long range (on medium game), shootability, and enough energy to probably make do on larger game (inside 3-400yd)?

Your animal window is way too big. Antelope-100lbs to moose-1,300lbs.
I would use my 6.5creed for anything deer sized and smaller out to 600yds.
I would use my .300wm for anything bigger out to 600yds.

So I guess I recommend .300wm with a muzzle brake.

I should clarify, I'm looking for something with longer range potential. I'm thinking antelope/deer/elk-size out to 5-600 or more, but also capable of larger game, by maintaining energy high enough to work on something like a moose at closer range. I know none of these calibers will be sufficient for large game at 1000yd. what's a good bridge between long range (on medium game), shootability, and enough energy to probably make do on larger game (inside 3-400yd)?
The .300 WM remains my go-to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1KY.

7 SAUM or one of the Sherman choices, 7 Max, 7SS, 338SS

I'm still working on a load for my 338 SS, recoil is not bad at all. 2800 plus with a 205gr Hammer. I have some 175gr Hammers on hand to try, I hope 29?? something can be reached.

My 7 SAUM is a great shooter, 162gr or 175gr ELDX. The 175s with 58gr of RE26 are running 2751 avg. Looking at my log book I don't see any notes about pressure so there might be a little more speed there. The 175s like H1000 too. The 168 VLD Hunters are also a good bullet for me.

The thing that puts the SAUM last on the list is brass availability