Help me decide: Minimum caliber for larger NA game

New guy here. Hear me out and throw your opinion in the ring. I own a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed. Has been an excellent gun, exactly what I was looking for, zero issue. Casual weekend bench shooting, can also drop a deer.

Now I'm in the market for something bigger or a step up in being adequate for larger game. I don't plan on any thick-skinned African hunts in the near future, so assume just North America, probably nothing more than bear/moose.

Thoughts:
  • I already have a 6.5 Creed, so I don't really need something specifically to overlap with that. I'm good up to deer, possibly elk, and looking for something in the elk and up range. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but heavy recoil does take some of the enjoyment out of it for me. I prefer something that I can comfortably practice with, sight in, multiple shots, and never be already preparing myself for the slam when about to squeeze off a shot at game. For this I love the 6.5.
  • I am not turned off by the chassis/AR-style look of some modern rifles. I do appreciate the modularity/adjustability, and adjusting cheek weld or length of pull is a must. Function over traditional appearance for me.
  • To meet some of my recoil requirements and to not get into the heavy hitting rounds, I'm content to accept that energy will only be high enough for my larger game targets out to 3-400 yards. At some point down the road, it will probably get a suppressor, so overall optimum barrel length is a factor.

Question: Lightest recoiling caliber, available in a gun model that is somewhat adjustable, at least minimally capable of ethical moose/bear shot at 300 yds? For sake of argument, ignore cost (of ammo), ammo availability, and assume factory loads. Not looking to build anything at this time, so a factory option in gun model and ammo.

I realize all of these are giving up something in some area or another, but options I have researched:
  • 6.5 PRC – really that much better than 6.5 Creed? A lot of overlap with what I already have, borderline good enough for moose. I do really like the recoil, ballistics, and lots of gun options. I hear people shooting elk at 1000yd with them, and while not something I plan to do, does make me think a good shot at 300 would probably drop a moose.
  • .280 AI – Hard to find options chambered in this, can get an Xbolt
  • 6.8 Western – Really like what I'm hearing about this one, meets a lot of my requirements, hard to find a gun I like chambered in it, also available in xbolt. Doesn't bother me that it's a new fad, and ammo is available.
  • 28 Nosler or .300 PRC – Incredibly capable rounds, I doubt I would enjoy shooting it very often, considering recoil. Would give me some ability to tackle even larger game. Maybe I could get manageable with a brake?
  • Sig cross/.277 fury – I like the portability/adjustability of the rifle, and think the cartridge is intriguing, but probably not much more adequate than my 6.5 for bigger game? Big pro here is the ballistics out of a 16" barrel. Even with a suppressor, a very small/compact package, plus folding.
Props if you actually read this far. All opinions welcome.
One of the 7mm's will meet all of your requirements. Better ballistics than the .277's better selections of ammo and compoents, great energy at even 600rds, more than adequate for Bear, Elk, and Moose and yet with the 160-180gr class bullets extremely manageable recoil.

The 7RM is ideal, the 7LRM just a bit more gas. 7mm wsm and SAUM are both dandy rounds to work with as well.

Save your Needmore for the high volume recreational shooting and any of those 7mm's will probably last you for life as a hunting rifle.

Yeah, I'm not looking for something to do it all. More meant, since I already had the 6.5creed, what would fill that gap on the upper end for any scenario where the 6.5 isn't quite enough. I think .300wm answered my question
As much as I live my Winnies and Rum's if I were building a new 30 cal today it would be the 30PRC. It's here to stay for the foreseeable future.

If you are recoil sensitive though you'd be better off stepping down to a 7mm

I'd say you want a 308 at the minimum. Any smaller starts overlapping into creed usage. Braked 300wm probably all you'll be comfortable with. Honestly I would look at 300wsm, maybe 338wsm if you want the extra thump at longer ranges. If you want smaller caliber, 7mag might do what you want. 28nosler if you want fancy new stuff. But recoil is getting up in the 300wsm level or more with those, which points back to the mini-mag 300wsm in my opinion.

Brake it, regardless of what you pick. Love my braked guns.

Muzzle brake serves two purposes: reduced felt recoil and reduced muzzle rise. The latter is often not realized. Being able to spot a target on impact is priceless. I understand that muzzle brakes are not for everybody, but it is a game-changer.

Only thing you forgot is brakes are 50x harder on the ears. Good large muffs only way to really reduce it. Ear plugs help and you still get a huge amount from the skull right behind the ear. I call it the elephant sound

12yr old (mine!) Shoots my 300. Jp comp brake and 14lb make it recoil like that 6.5cm

Attachments

• 20211130_080201.jpg
    20211130_080201.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
7mm SAUM
Load up some 180 Gr Berger VLD's and you'll kill a lot of animals. I'm at 2900 fps. Taken 3 eland with this setup as well as another 20 or so African antelope. Likely going back to africa next May. Does a great job with moderate recoil.
Bruce

Only thing you forgot is brakes are 50x harder on the ears. Good large muffs only way to really reduce it. Ear plugs help and you still get a huge amount from the skull right behind the ear. I call it the elephant sound
No, I did not. With or without a muzzle brake, I wear hearing protection. I also wear hearing protection when mowing my lawn, use a leaf blower, and other high noise machines. People think they only have to wear ear protection at the range. I spent my first 10 years in the Air Force at the flightline aircraft generation. I did not have any hearing loss because I used proper hearing protection. Some of my colleagues did not and had significant hearing loss. It is an individual's responsibility to protect their own hearing.

noise-levels.png

No, I did not. With or without a muzzle brake, I wear hearing protection. I also wear hearing protection when mowing my lawn, use a leaf blower, and other high noise machines. People think they only have to wear ear protection at the range. I spent my first 10 years in the Air Force at the flightline aircraft generation. I did not have any hearing loss because I used proper hearing protection. Some of my colleagues did not and had significant hearing loss. It is an individual's responsibility to protect their own hearing.

View attachment 339793
Concussion from a brake is the reall killer, I wear double ear pro and even then I was having issues shooting side port brakes.
Interesting fact, blast is one of the top causes of concussion injury.

Concussion from a brake is the reall killer, I wear double ear pro and even then I was having issues shooting side port brakes.
Interesting fact, blast is one of the top causes of concussion injury.
That's why 'I" clearly noted it is not for everybody in #18. I have been using MBs since 2003 with all types of design and do not have problems with concussions that others experiences. Perhaps, a suppressor is best for you.

There are many that would be great with proper bullet choice.

The real thing is you need to be willing to learn to shoot whatever you choose well enough to make the shot your choosing.

With today's optics, bullet selection is key, what cartridge is delivering it isn't.