Heavy vs Light Long Range Rifle

Jay Kyle

Hi All,
I'm trying to figure out if I should sell off my 22 lb long range rig for a 12 lb long range rig.

Today I'm shooting a 22 lb 338 Edge, A-5 stock 30" barrel, Nightforce 5.5-22x56, etc. I find it only comes out when I can drive it to a location. That seems to limit when I use it.

I'm thinking of picking up a Weatherby Mark V Range Certified (sub-moa) in 338/378 - this will be about 12 lbs decked out and with the same terminal characteristics as the Edge (given the shorter barrel). It seems to me that is a more functional rifle as I'm more included to use it for everyday hunting here in Southern Alberta - where a 50 yard shot is just as common as a 1000 Yard Shot

Any thoughts?

Jay

A 22lb hunting rifle is an interesting problem.

My 338-300RUM/Edge came out at ~16.5lb. I don't know if I'll ever carry it.

IIWM keep the Edge and get the Mark V in Accumark. The TRR is a!so heavy so IMO that would not be an improvement.

IIWM keep the Edge and get the Mark V in Accumark. The TRR is a!so heavy so IMO that would not be an improvement.

Maybe you should have checked before posting?

Accumark is 9 lbs and the TRR is 9.25 lbs. My thinking was if he is use to an A5 stock already he may like the TRR. Equipped with an Nightforce scope the TRR will come in about 12 lbs. Just over 1/2 the weight of his current rifle, and exactly at the 12lb weight the OP listed he was considering in his first post.

Jeff

Maybe you should have checked before posting?

Accumark is 9 lbs and the TRR is 9.25 lbs. My thinking was if he is use to an A5 stock already he may like the TRR. Equipped with an Nightforce scope the TRR will come in about 12 lbs. Just over 1/2 the weight of his current rifle, and exactly at the 12lb weight the OP listed he was considering in his first post.

Jeff
Dear Jeff,

Perhaps you did not intend to be insulting and condescending so I'll skirt that for now.

Do want I did. Go to Weatherby. Heft a 338-378 Accumark, heft a TRR and realize the web if full of typos and eronious data.

or

Build your own TRR but in 338/300RUM aka Edge. Yes my barrel is 29 instead of 28 and my Sightron SIII 10-50/60 may weigh a little more than a Night force 8-42-56 but that won't account for 4lb.

I have done both and stand by my opinion. If you push it I will go over to Weatherby with a scale.

Unless what your intention was to needle, discredit, disrespect or start another war.

Jfseaman, It was you who responded to my post in decent first. Choosing to select what I posted and thought to be a worthy post in regards to the OPs quest. I thought it was maybe you looking for "another war"? I know I have owned many accumarks personally and the stated weight is indeed very close. Many accumarks and Senderos we have set up with a NF scope come in about 12 lbs as the OP requested.

Here is where I got my weights. Right off the Weatherby site. Not a random post off the web. If their specs are wrong I would think by now it would have caused them some problems and they would get it corrected.

TRR Custom Magnum | Weatherby.com and click on SPECS tab.

Regards
Jeff

And to be clear the barrel listed for the TRR is 26" plus brake. Wby indicates all measurements are indeed "with Accubrake" Wby has always done this, all the Accumarks I have bought stated 28" for barrel length on the box end as they were including the brake. So the 3" of barrel length would be some portion of the weight difference you indicated the rifle you built has.

The scope I listed would be the NXS 5.5~22 weighing in at a few oz. under 2 lbs. The use of a light weight Near Base which is the top of the line for a Mark V would also help a little bit.

I did not post to ruin your day. I like to read the actual OP's first post and try to post an answer as close as I can to what he wants. As I did and even if off by a couple pounds a 12 to 14 lb rifle is far closer to what he requested than the 22 lb rifle he is trying to avoid. I saw the OP had not received an answer yet so was only trying to help. Not looking for debate as no other posts were even there.

The other part of my post was to let him know the TRR and Accumark are also now offered in 338 Lapua as well as 338-378. Some people are not aware of this as the 338 LM has only been offered for a few years now.

Broz - JFSeaman - thanks both for your insights as I value both of your experiences.

If I were to graph Rifle weight vs effective distance for upto Long Range Hunting (and all that includes) - and average that across many shooters and many rifles - I wonder where the sweet spot would be - I would guess somewhere around a 12 lb rifle all in for a 1200-1300 yd shot.

Another factor is stock design - I find my A-5 may be "too prone" and feels a bit awkward for off-hand shooting - so that represents one end of the scale. I find a Sendero's stock seems too streamlined and is "too offhand" to be a good prone stock - that represents the other end of the spectrum.

I have looked hard at the TRR - but the cost puts me back into building another custom rifle.

As always ..looking for thoughts

Jay

Jay, with proper fit and form a strong 338 with a good brake sending 300 gr bullets is manageable at 12 lbs or a bit over. I have built several and shot them to a mile plus regularly at targets.

Another stock you should look at is the manners T2 or maybe even their thumbhole line. I used one of the TH stocks on a build a few weeks ago and liked it well. I feel the thumbhole design makes recoil a bit more manageable and I shoot mine well off hand.

What you really are describing here is a Defensive Edge LRKM. I love mine and they could be built to come in close to 14 or 15 lbs and only 40" total length. The design even at this weight is very manageable off hand. More so than a 12 lb long rifle in my opinion after shooting both. They just balance well and fall into place both prone and off hand. But they are $5K I use mine in a pack all the time and love it too.

Jeff

Jay, with proper fit and form a strong 338 with a good brake sending 300 gr bullets is manageable at 12 lbs or a bit over. I have built several and shot them to a mile plus regularly at targets.

Another stock you should look at is the manners T2 or maybe even their thumbhole line. I used one of the TH stocks on a build a few weeks ago and liked it well. I feel the thumbhole design makes recoil a bit more manageable and I shoot mine well off hand.

What you really are describing here is a Defensive Edge LRKM. I love mine and they could be built to come in close to 14 or 15 lbs and only 40" total length. The design even at this weight is very manageable off hand. More so than a 12 lb long rifle in my opinion after shooting both. They just balance well and fall into place both prone and off hand. But they are $5K I use mine in a pack all the time and love it too.

Jeff

..your tempting me! I've looked longingly at the LKRM!! I don't need to compromise on barrel length and I can well understand balance would be great.

..your tempting me! I've looked longingly at the LKRM!! I don't need to compromise on barrel length and I can well understand balance would be great.

Well after owning one for over a year now and hunting with it I can tell you the LRKM is worth thinning the safe herd for. Just ask the antelope I took a few days ago at 1019 yards in a FV 8+ mph wind. :D My son has one on order now and it will be his primary hunting rifle as well.

Jeff

Weatherby!

They still got NINE locking lugs on the **** things?

Hard enough getting TWO to mesh right much less NINE!!

Hah!
That's easy to fix.. I'm looking more at fit for function. The original thinking was a 338/378 Weatherby in a 26" barrel will give me aproximately what my 338 Edge will do in a 30" barrel

Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.