Heavy .308 Loads

Memories like a sore shoulder from working a load or a scope ring around your eyebrow? lmao...whatever blows your skirt up I guess. I want some performance. If I want heavy and slow moving, I'd shoot a 45-70 or a muzzle loader.....but that's just me.

Power Pro 2000 MR and 200 ELDX. All the speed and all the accuracy. 1.15 fps per degree F. 45.0 gr in LAPUA palma brass and CCI 450's gives sub 1/2 MOA (closer to 1/3 MOA running at 2600 from at 23.5" barrel.

I loaded up a bunch of 180 and 200 grain accubonds for giggles and bear protection in my 308. They were fun to shoot. Effective. A noticeable increase in recoil over a 165 grain projectile. If I remember right the 180's were moving about 2650 and the 200's right at 2500.

I currently shoot the 166 Hammer Hunter, its more effective, in every way. But doesnt have the fun factor of the 200.

I got a 165 SGK and a168 AMax loads for the 308 and a 45/70 what I don't have is a suppresser for my 45/70 and I do have one for the 308 but I WANT a 200 gr load for the 308

I would go with the 220 round nose. I run a 180 grain round nose out of my 16 inch savage 99. Haven't ever checked the speed but they b.s.med anything they hit and I can still reach out to 300 yards with them. Hmmm --now you got me to thinking maybe it would be fun to play with some 220 rn. Don't see any benefit to it unless I was in grizzly country though. The old round nose really wack things!

I would go with the 220 round nose. I run a 180 grain round nose out of my 16 inch savage 99. Haven't ever checked the speed but they b.s.med anything they hit and I can still reach out to 300 yards with them. Hmmm --now you got me to thinking maybe it would be fun to play with some 220 rn. Don't see any benefit to it unless I was in grizzly country though. The old round nose really wack things!
A 16" Savage 99? I need one of those!

Sorry for posting without reading each.. :( at work..... I'd suggest calling Hawk bullets. Telling them your planned muzzle velocity. And let them set up your core and jacket to your exact needs. Just how I'd do it... I run theirs for 458 SOCOM

I have a 20inch .308 heavy barreled rifle with a 1/10 twist. I currently have 168s screaming out the rifle under a half moa. I want to turn it into a little brush gun and push some heavy bullets through it now. Think 200 yards or less for shots with the rifle. Just an east coast rifle. Thinking 208s, 210s, 230s? Anyone have experience with this type of load, will a 1/10 stabilize these guys I'm assuming in the 2400-2500 range? Assuming oal might be an issue as well. Just looking for someone who has gone down this road already.

Thanks
I developed a load with the 200g Nosler Partition using CFE223 slightly under Hodgdon max and chronographed it at 2598fps in a Stiller action with a 26" barrel, 10" twist. Hodgdon data shows 2500 something fps with a 24" barrel. Groups about 3/4" and less at 100yds. Harvested 7 large, old animals, largest being a mature old giraffe. With a load like this you have to make a good shot with the giraffe quartering away which I did. I recovered 4 bullets. The rear lead started to squeeze out like toothpaste from all recovered bullets, but did not separate. The front end was wiped away on all recovered bullets. Animals ran 10 to 50 yards. Shots were 50 to 150 yards.

180's are the way to go. Look at ME chart. No whitetail can stand it, easy on the shoulder and if you happen on a 300 yd shot no problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.