.308 loads

Your DPMS might not like Berger VLD's depending on your twist rate. 168gr Sierra match like a 1 in 10 twist and shoot very good groups from an AR style rifle
My 700 5R has a 1:11.25" twist and it loves 168's and 175's. That twist rate was designed to stabilize 175's. And it does its job well with a 24" barrel.

My load is 155 gr. Palma by Sierra that is Boran Coated, 45.5 Varget in LC brass flash hole uniformed Federal match primners, Lee factory crimped. Shoots one ragged hole in my DPMS AR-10's 18" SASS and my heavy barreled 20". It shoots in every 308 I've tried it in. I just won a Savage 10 FCP-K for winning the rifle competition at a 2nd ammendment shoot and fundraiser for the Travis County Republican Party. Last weekend the wind laid for about 20-25 minutes at Best Of The West Shooting Sports our Central Texas 1,000 yard range and that Savage rifle shoot a 4-shot 1-1/2" group at 750 yards and a 2-1/4" 3-shot group at a 1,000 yards with that load. The rifle is as it came from Savage but it has been fire-lapped with Tubbs Final Finish, Burris Extreme Tactical rings that were fully lapped. I used a EGW 20 minute rail locktited. That is the first time I have ever been at that range on top of the hill and the wind was not blowing. I took a picture thru the spotting scope at 750. The single hit above my group was a shot by my Banker that was there with me shooting, but the group in the center is 4-rounds at 750 yards. Target is 12'x22".

Attachments

• Savage 10-750 yard group.jpg
    Savage 10-750 yard group.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 53
And will probably be what I use when I get all the parts to finish up my 300 Blackout upper.

300 Blk is not going to like varget. Whether you are loading subsonic or not most loads are using pistol powders like lil'gun and H110. If you can find load data with varget that would be great, but good luck

jb

Well, let's see. My hunting load is 46 grains of Varget pushing 168gr Nosler BT's out of Nosler brass with Federal 210m primers. This combo is sub MOA and 2730fps. out of My 20" Savage Precision Carbine. My target load is 43.2gr Varget with 178gr Hornady A-Maxes same primers and new Nosler brass. This combo is good for 1/4 inch groups.gun)

Looks like he has a good rifle to work with hope he enjoys it.:D

Thanks, he was stoked when I gave it to him! I hope he draws an antelope or elk tag this year. I will enjoy it more than my own hunts for sure and hope it is the start of many together. It is an older Savage 10 Sierra and a nice little rifle.

Thanks, he was stoked when I gave it to him! I hope he draws an antelope or elk tag this year. I will enjoy it more than my own hunts for sure and hope it is the start of many together. It is an older Savage 10 Sierra and a nice little rifle.
Yeah my sons first deer I think I was happier than he was, there is nothing that can compare.

IMR 4895 @ 43.6
168 gr

varget @ 44.1
180 gr BT

varget @ 47.0
150 gr BT

Varget @ 45.0
175 gr Berger or MK

WW cases
CCI BR2 primers

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.