308 loads

Remmy, Sounds like you have everything you need, I shoot a lot of steel out to 1k with a suppressed 308 and my load is Lapua brass, CCI BR primers and 44.2grs of Varget under a 168gr A-Max. I think you will do better with the heavier bullet over the lighter 150-155 grainers.
Great thing your doing by helping others get into the LR thing.

Pete,

I'm sure that Remmy Quote meaning "Loaner Rifle" is when he is at the range and others are there and would like to try out ringing steel at long range.

Remmy, Sounds like you have everything you need, I shoot a lot of steel out to 1k with a suppressed 308 and my load is Lapua brass, CCI BR primers and 44.2grs of Varget under a 168gr A-Max. I think you will do better with the heavier bullet over the lighter 150-155 grainers.
Great thing your doing by helping others get into the LR thing.
Thanks brother. Many people are not as obsessed with LR as some of us and would never spend that kinda money on a gun. The only bad thing is after u shoot a dollar rig it's hard to go buy a cheap rifle as u don't get the same effect sometimes lol

So got a 308 that I am basically going to dedicate to a loaner rig when I go out and peeps ain't got no long guns so they can have fun on the steel range with me. I got 300 pcs of lapua brass ready to roll. I got about 500 178 amax bullets but I was thinking of something a little lighter and flatter as this will just be used for steel from 300 to 1k. Got 8 lbs it varget so that will be the powder. What would be a good bullet choice? I ain't messed much with reloading 308 in a couple of years.
View attachment 140351
Good looking DTR. I would use the Nosler RDF 175's, backed with Varget, Fed 210M's or CCI BR2's, in that Lapua brass. Load to about 2.810" COAL.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019862036/nosler-rdf-bullets-hollow-point-boat-tail

Or, for your own personal LR load for it, Berger 215 Hybrids backed by Varget, Fed 210M's, and Lapua brass. Seated mag length (or 0.010" off the lands) whichever comes first.

Remy. One question? What is your barrel twist rate? I have a M 40 clone with a 1x11.5 twist. I'm shooting 175 SMK out of it and producing big holes on paper out to 350 yds. At 1000 yds I'm still hold 1 MOA. This is my rig.

Attachments

• 20181206_114242.jpg
    20181206_114242.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
No sure where you are, but check local and/or state laws to see if that it is legal - to loan a firearm.

That's a thing in places? I don't loan my wilson combat supergrade for the same reason I don't loan an expensive woodworking tool, but not because of law. Where I grew up, many deer were killed with borrowed rifles. Out of curiosity, where is that illegal?(aside from to folks with a prior felony)

That's a thing in places? I don't loan my wilson combat supergrade for the same reason I don't loan an expensive woodworking tool, but not because of law. Where I grew up, many deer were killed with borrowed rifles. Out of curiosity, where is that illegal?(aside from to folks with a prior felony)
Washington State.

With a 10-11.5 twist, have you thought about Berger 185 Juggernauts? Around 43.5 gr. Varget, BR2, in Lapua Palma brass for my F-T/R rifle. Good for 600 and 1000 yard matches. But, those 178 Amax's you have would do great.

I'm shooting a cheap marlin with a 26 inch 1/12 twist and the 178 actually out preform the 168 at the long range due to the higher BC. Its not by much but I'm a few clicks more on the 168 than the 178s at 1000yrds. I think the 178 are only 20fps slower or maybe less. Different powder though. It could also be the charge weight I think. The 168 are about 1.5 grains from max charge and I think the 178 actually gave me better results closer to max book charge. Anyway that's my take.

I shoot Barnes 180 ttsx 42.4 grn AR2208 your Varget for hunting,out of my custom rig .308 it's got a 30 inch barrel and for ringing steel or shooting killer rocks I use 168 SMK's 46.7 grn of AR2208 your Varget
Lapua brass CCI primers
Both loads are extremely accurate and very good out to around 400 for hunting 800 yards for steel and rocks never tried any further with this rig , might have to next time I take it out ,
My loads are for my rifle if you choose to try my loads please start lower with charge

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.