308 loads

oldfamily

I am starting to work on a load for a 308 I just picked up. Rifle has the 1-12 twist and I was wondering if the 175 smk would work or would the 168 be better? I have Lapua brass, fed 210m primers, varget powder just want to know which would be better to start with. Thanks oldfamily.

I would start with the 150 or 168 SMK.

The 1 in 12 twist mite be a little slow for the 175,s
and the velocity would be very slow in the 308.

Also I would try the 150 and 165gr accubonds they are developing
a good reputation for accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

I'm pretty new to this also...

My twist rate is faster than yours @ 1 in 11.25, so ymmv. But I've had really good groups using 175 SMK's and 43gr Varget, shooting from .15 MOA up to just under .5 MOA.

I just got back in from testing some 178 A-Max's and 175 VLD's with 43 gr of Varget, and neither was that great, shooting from about 3/4 MOA up to 1.5 MOA.
I just read another thread that stated that the VLD's need to be seated into the lands, which I am unable to do if I want them in the magazine. I will try some seated 0.002 - 0.005 into the lands, but the COAL will force me to do single shot loading... VLD's are really long bullets that have what looks to be a slightly shorter bearing surface, so you have to seat them even farther out than your typical bullet in order to get them into the lands.

More later after load development

.308 Hand Loads

Hi guys,

With my new purchase I'm going through load development in the .308 too.

I've so far come up with a fairly nice package that seems to be the goods - but more experimentation required.

Load:

• Hornady A-max 168gr match projectiles
  • Federal case
  • Federal 210 primer
  • ADI (Thales) 2206 powder - 42.5 or 42.7 grains
I use this for my target load and practice at the club. I'm soon to change over to the ADI 2208 powder as that seems to be the most common and recommended powder at the moment.

Cheers.

44.5 grains of varget seated .020 off the lands puts 175grain SMK into .5 MOA out of my 1/12 twist rem.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.