308 loads

Remmy700

So got a 308 that I am basically going to dedicate to a loaner rig when I go out and peeps ain't got no long guns so they can have fun on the steel range with me. I got 300 pcs of lapua brass ready to roll. I got about 500 178 amax bullets but I was thinking of something a little lighter and flatter as this will just be used for steel from 300 to 1k. Got 8 lbs it varget so that will be the powder. What would be a good bullet choice? I ain't messed much with reloading 308 in a couple of years.
A2B121E6-7C97-4513-9553-366DED1904B4.jpeg

Nice loaner!

For your stated purpose I'd look at the Sierra 155gr TMK, but personally I'd be itching to use up those A-maxes!

43-44gr of Varget under each one :D

Nice loaner!

For your stated purpose I'd look at the Sierra 155gr TMK, but personally I'd be itching to use up those A-maxes!

43-44gr of Varget under each one :D
Yeah that is what I was shooting in last 308 and was 44.2 of varget and they shot great but yeah that is what I was thinking was 150 class or so and get some speed. I don't know I think it might be a wash the speed I gain with 150 class vs BC of the 178s.

Indeed - you might have to go to a little faster powder like RL15 or TAC to get ahead with the 155's...how long is that barrel?

That being said, I think the 155 TMK has a G1 just over .500 and the old 178gr A-Max is just under .500 IIRC.

Last edited:
So got a 308 that I am basically going to dedicate to a loaner rig when I go out and peeps ain't got no long guns so they can have fun on the steel range with me. I got 300 pcs of lapua brass ready to roll. I got about 500 178 amax bullets but I was thinking of something a little lighter and flatter as this will just be used for steel from 300 to 1k. Got 8 lbs it varget so that will be the powder. What would be a good bullet choice? I ain't messed much with reloading 308 in a couple of years.
View attachment 140351
i like varget in my .308 very accurate with 168 grain nosler lrs

View attachment 140351
Wish my friends had loaner rifles like that!!!

Yeah that is what I was shooting in last 308 and was 44.2 of varget and they shot great but yeah that is what I was thinking was 150 class or so and get some speed. I don't know I think it might be a wash the speed I gain with 150 class vs BC of the 178s.

I didn't run it through a ballistics calculator but based on past experience my bet is at 1000 yards the B.C. will gain you quite a bit more than the velocity costs you, particularly in the drift department. Heavier bullets in the 175+ range I like a slower powder than the usual Varget that gets so much use in the 150-165 range.

I'm interested in this thread as I'm trying to develop a load for hog killing in my ar-10 chambered in 308. What velocities are y'all getting with Varget and 168 grain bullets?

I've got a load right now with 168 grain Barnes and 42 grains of ar comp. I've got slight pressure signs with this load, but it's 1/2 moa at 100 yards. Velocity is somewhere just north of 2600, which seems slow to me. This is a 16" suppressed barrel, if that matters.

I'm interested in this thread as I'm trying to develop a load for hog killing in my ar-10 chambered in 308. What velocities are y'all getting with Varget and 168 grain bullets?

I've got a load right now with 168 grain Barnes and 42 grains of ar comp. I've got slight pressure signs with this load, but it's 1/2 moa at 100 yards. Velocity is somewhere just north of 2600, which seems slow to me. This is a 16" suppressed barrel, if that matters.

If you are getting that speed out of a gas gun, cycles well, accurate and 16" barrel you are doing great. I don't think I would fuss with that much.

Sierras Tipped Matchkings are Ausome ,but haven't tryed them in 30 cal np their Sierra same Quility across the board,in .284 /708 ,160 Tipped MK's were unreal ,but if you want to save coin buy their 150 boatail ,Varget is great ,happy range time !, cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.