Heavy 45-70 loads.

remingtonman_25_06

I have a NEF 45-70 that I have been shooting 300g Hornady HP's at 2000fps with 48g of IMR-4198. Accuracy is surprisingly good, about 1.5" at 100 yards. I figure this is a good load for plinking, coyotes, deer, and maybe black bears?? Anyways, from what I gather, you need at least a 350g bullet for elk. I was going to go out on a limb here and try something like some 500g TSX bullets or something. I just want them for elk mainly. Would certainly put the big hurt on both ends, lol!! I tried getting the bulk Remington 405g SP's but everywhere is back ordered. I dont know of any other 400-500g lead bullets, besides Swift A Frames, or the all copper Barnes X bullet, both of which are about $1 bullet or more.

Anyways, I'm not real familiar with the big bores, just kinda always wanted one for the fun of it mainly. Slinging a big chunk of lead is actually quite fun. Can I use those big 500g Barnes TSX bullets in the 45-70? I dont think there would be a problem, but then again, i'm not 100% positive. What would you guys use for up close elk out of the big Govt?? Thanks for any help and or advice.

If your throat is really long, maybe. Those 500 grain TSX's are loooong, and you don't really need that for elk. Don't the 45-70 would have enough velocity to expand it well, but I may be wrong. Why not a lighter TSX, or a 300 grain Partition? Or a hard cast bullet.

45-70,It,s all good

The guy that turned me on to 45-70s has killed two elk with his.Both with 300 gr. rem, hollow points and 52 grains of 3031 and it flattens em,also many deer and they die in their tracks.Bi-Mart used to stock Speer 400 gr fps here in lebanon Orygun but the last time I was there they did not have them so I bought Hornaday 350 gr fps.57 grains of IMR 4198 gets me 2137 fps out of a 20 inch barreled ruger #1.H4198 is supposed to be a little faster according to Hodgdons website.I think you can safely push a 300 grain pill at 2500 fps out of a modern single shot with it.I,m not sure where your NEF rifle is as far as strength is concerned.Anyway those kind of loads will at, reasonable ranges, will knock the sap out of mister blue mountain bull elk.I hope you get to find out!Take care,GRPB from oregon.

Remington 25-06, Hard Cast are extremely hard to beat in the 45-70
I took this Buffalo with a flat point hard cast with one shot and the exited. and I used a handgun

parker_buffalo.jpg

In 88 I took the Moose on the left and dropped the bear that came in while I was cleaning the Moose again with a hard cast and a handgun

00000009.jpg

I used to have a Marlin 45-70 that shot fairly well (for a lever gun). I was able to push a 400gr cast bullet to 17-1800fps with acceptable accuracy- definitely kills on both ends though!

I would say any reasonably tough bullet from a 45-70 will do just fine on Elk. I would not fool with the Barnes bullets in that caliber because they are so darn long you lose too much case capacity. I had to give up a lot of velocity to be able to shoot them and I didn't think it was worth it. Accuracy was nothing special, and the big carp mouth hollowpoint kills the BC.

I cast my own lead bullets and they performed very well on game. My second choice was the 350gr Hornady JFP. They shot well too.

The cast bullets are good but if you want to shoot jacketed
bullets here are some I recomend.

Barns "Original" in 300 and 400gr Semi Spitzer and
The Speer 400gr flat nose or the 350gr hotcore
( It has a very small flat nose).

The 350gr hot core would be my choice for Elk and
Buffalo and they can be loaded to around 2100 ft/sec
(In modern rifles)and 2300 in the Browning and Ruger
and over 3000ft/lbs energy at the muzzel, 2000ft/lbs
at 300 yards and 1500 ft/lbs at 500 yards .

Plenty for Elk size game.

The other .458 bullets ar made for the higher velocity
rounds like the 458 Winchester and the 460 Weatherby.

Some bullets will say 45/70 .458 dia on the box and these
are for 45/70 only.(The jackets are two thin for the modern
cartriges like the 458 Win and will shed the jackets when
leaving the barrel) at high velocity.

I Hope This Helps
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.