Heavy .308 Loads

I've played with a lot of heavies, 208eldm, 200eldx, 195tmk, and they were in a 11.25 twist barrel.
I used varget, with 41gr behind all of them gave me 2430fps and wicked accuracy.
I left my seating die set for the 168s and just loaded the 195s and they shot amazing. The 208s I've loaded long and seated at magazine length and the accuracy gained by loading long was barely noticeable on target

Are you jumping? If so, how much?

Currently in a move so the loading room is packed up. I am not sure the jump off hand, but it is not too far. I am loaded to 2.83" COAL.
They shot great at all seating depths with this rifle, but seating deeper allowed me to keep speed without pressure.

Last edited:
I Have had great luck shooting a 208 Amax over MR2000 powder in a 24 inch .308.
Per Lab Radar 2598 average, (no Sh*te)
Very Accurate and NO Pressure signs.
Have found this powder to be very fast in Heavy for caliber bullets.

Sounds like the load sturner is looking for. Can't hit the range today, so I'll shoot next weekend. I'll see how the 4895 does, had limited choices, hoping it shoots well.

I have a 20inch .308 heavy barreled rifle with a 1/10 twist. I currently have 168s screaming out the rifle under a half moa. I want to turn it into a little brush gun and push some heavy bullets through it now. Think 200 yards or less for shots with the rifle. Just an east coast rifle. Thinking 208s, 210s, 230s? Anyone have experience with this type of load, will a 1/10 stabilize these guys I'm assuming in the 2400-2500 range? Assuming oal might be an issue as well. Just looking for someone who has gone down this road already.

Thanks

I'm confused. What are you attempting to accomplish? 168s at high speed in a 20 inch barrel and and low power scope would be a fine brush gun. Are you just trying to use. Heavier bullet for grins or what am I missing?

as a side note, the big round nosed bullets have a reputation for being able to bust through brush. it's not the case. i've seen this tested 2 times and both came to the conclusion that spitzer type bullets went through brush more accurately than blunt round nose. the thin jackets on the round nose was figured to fragment quicker causing the bullets to go off in a different direction more so than the pointy spitzer.

The bullets that I've used that deflected the most when trying to shoot through brush were 1-1/4 ounce 12 gauge slugs. The shooting & hunting magazines have always printed that blunt, slow-moving bullets plow right throw twigs & brush. This has definitely not been my experience. The only thing that has worked for me is to find a hole through the brush that I can get a bullet through, because nothing shoots through brush.

The benefit of using a long & heavy bullet when jump-shooting deer out of the heavy brush is that if your shot is at a bad angle - like going away from the gun - the bigger bullets are likely to penetrate further forward in the animal to get to the boiler room. So, though, are standard-weight bullets of stiffer design - like the Barnes, GMX, or Hammer.

414 and 220 round nose hornadys have always shot very accurately for me. That round nose interlock is amazingly accurate in everything I've tasked it with. I had an 18 inch barreled 1903 for brush busting hogs. Only thing is the muzzle flame thrower can start brush fires in dry conditions. Ask me how I know.

I think I'd go with a 165 grain hunting bullet such as a Sierra Tipped Game King. At short ranges, it'll do pretty much anything you'll want within reason and you won't have any problems at 600. Probably could use the same load as your 168's. I just think you'll be spending a bunch of money that isn't necessary for the heavy bullets that you really won't gain anything by doing so.

I think I'd go with a 165 grain hunting bullet such as a Sierra Tipped Game King. At short ranges, it'll do pretty much anything you'll want within reason and you won't have any problems at 600. Probably could use the same load as your 168's. I just think you'll be spending a bunch of money that isn't necessary for the heavy bullets that you really won't gain anything by doing so.
No fun there. Those 220s really smack stuff hard. Round nose bullets aren't aerodynamic and all that pretty like the lipstick tips but those thick waisted old fashioned style make some memories you won't forget.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.