Heavy .308 Loads

Recon$$

I have a 20inch .308 heavy barreled rifle with a 1/10 twist. I currently have 168s screaming out the rifle under a half moa. I want to turn it into a little brush gun and push some heavy bullets through it now. Think 200 yards or less for shots with the rifle. Just an east coast rifle. Thinking 208s, 210s, 230s? Anyone have experience with this type of load, will a 1/10 stabilize these guys I'm assuming in the 2400-2500 range? Assuming oal might be an issue as well. Just looking for someone who has gone down this road already.

Thanks

Yes, a 1:10 will stabilize 208/210/215's, but what exactly are you trying to achieve?

High BC doesn't offer any advantages at <200yd. A long bullet seated at mag length is going to have a LONG jump - vld type bullets are not generally tolerant of that...

Based on what I've seen, soft, frangible, round nose, lead tipped bullets are best suited to what you are trying to achieve. Deer don't offer a lot of target resistance, but a round nose bullet with a thin jacket will expand rapidly and jelly the lungs of a even a small deer at impact velocities under 2000fps.

Something like a 220gr Hornady interlock might be a good candidate,

Ya I understand what you are saying. I am not necessarily looking for a high bc as I'm not trying to shoot far. I am just going for a heavy load I can tune for short range load. I understand I am not maximizing performance by any means. Just a thing I want to try out if that makes sense. I will take a look at the 220 interlock. Just looking to see what guys who have played in this area have to say about results and loads.

I loaded the 215 Berger in 308 Win.
47.5gr H4350
Fed Brass
CCI 200
Seated long with about .070" jump. Crunching powder. If loaded longer it may have been able to get a little more, but it liked the jump better. About 2475 FPS in a 24" barrel.

I don't think you really can get enough H4350 in the case to pressure out, at least I couldn't.

So many of the old round nose bullets are gone now... I used to load some Dad had and even did some cast stuff. Now I load 180 grand slams and 180 tsx that do what your looking for (guessing) Heavier than that seems like .338 federal/210 SSII or .358 territory? No need to reinvent the wheel but thats the fun of it for sure!!

I found a load for my .308 was lights out groups and had read all the news on terminal results with Bergers. Jumped a buck at 30 yards and was on the trigger too fast. second shot going straight away mach 2 to the top of his shoulders and expected dead deer. Then a sound I will never forget....bullet hit a branch or his rack and ricocheted!!! NEVER EVER EVER again will I use bergers in the woods. My buddy was on the watch line 3-400 yards away still makes me sick to think about it.

I see some different approaches to the OP. I responded thinking of short magazine, full bodied old school RN 220 loads. Seated long more than one loader has got more velocity from the Berger's.
I would agree with all Shane said.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.