Heads up on ELD-X

I love you guys, especially you WildRose! Hunting in Canada for Trophy moose is a completely different story then hunting deer in thickets, I have done both. You screw up with a big bull moose then you are in a world of S--t and the meat gets ruined, NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Nothing beats accurate shooters, great guns and gentlemen like you guys, except for pretty gals of course! :)

I'm sure it does at that distance. We don't generally think in those terms around here. gun). I'm always in the camp too where if they are going to miss I want a clean miss.
If you can't keep your shots reasonably close in South Texas, you won't be in business long......there's nothing I hate worse than a guy coming to camp bragging about how far he's killed deer......they're the ones we always have trouble with! I wouldn't use a guide that would recommend a head on shot....I've seen way too many deer lost that way! Clean miss is usually not in the equation!
I've tried to be nice but the more you say, the more I realize you really don't have a clue!!!

I love you guys, especially you WildRose! Hunting in Canada for Trophy moose is a completely different story then hunting deer in thickets, I have done both. You screw up with a big bull moose then you are in a world of S--t and the meat gets ruined, NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Nothing beats accurate shooters, great guns and gentlemen like you guys, except for pretty gals of course! :)
Watch it now, I've been called a long list of things over the years but "Gentleman" is rarely on the list.:)

Watch it now, I've been called a long list of things over the years but "Gentleman" is rarely on the list.:)

Any person that called you anything but a gentleman does not know what they are talking about buddy!

Took SuzieQ into the gun shop I bought it from and showed her to the nice guy who sold it to me. He was impressed with the modifications I made. We are going to hunt a lot of giants together, can't wait for the fall! After that I will go to New Zealand and slam a Giant Red Stag, Africa after that. :) gun)

I shot an aoudad in the chest once, it ran ~150 yards with quite a bit of that running being up hill. It was all luck that I found it, there was no blood trail what so ever.

i shot an aoudad in the chest once, it ran ~150 yards with quite a bit of that running being up hill. It was all luck that i found it, there was no blood trail what so ever.

Exactly!!!! We lost a good buck this past season shot at about 125 yds...shot square in the chest! The Hunter didn't wait for a broadside shot like his guide told him..

Last edited:
Don't know if you were asking me or TxAodadKlr, but my Hunter was using a 300 WSM.

I was asking TxAodadKlr, I already know you are a very good shot stx. I have never seen an animal run that far from a well placed shot with either an arrow or a bullet.

I was asking TxAodadKlr, I already know you are a very good shot stx. I have never seen an animal run that far from a well placed shot with either an arrow or a bullet.
Shoot enough of them and sooner or later you'll see several.

Sometimes I think they simply don't realize they are dead, other times I think it's that they are so hopped up with testosterone and natural cortisol from all the fightig and sometimes I think it's just totally inexplicable.

Years ago I shot what then was the biggest hog of my career, a big, nasty black boar with a long silver stripe up his nose and down his back.

At 400yds I laid an absolute perfect shot on his right shoulder, broadside, with a 140gr accubond in a hot 7RM. I made the shot and saw it hit as perfectly as anyone could hope for. Just between the point of the shoulder and the elbow drilling the heart and both lungs.

He makes about a 200yds circle looking for what "bit' him. Stops, looks around, and makes about a 300yds circle. Stops, and looks around, then takes off heading west like he had a rocket up his butt.

He runs about 300yds through one steep creak and up the other side and dies in the bottom of the next one some 150yds away.

We got there and opened him up and there was just nothing left inside of his chest that was recognizable at all other than the bottom half of his heart. Everything else had been turned intot red jellow.

I had to gut him right there and then went and got a horse to drag him out to the field so we could get him into the stock trailer with some considerable help.

Even at that he field dressed 590lbs.

My big stud zebra was hit the same way as I described as my preferred shot, straight on head up center of the chest just above the sternum with the 375 Ruger shooting hornady interlock 270gr.

Hit him dead smack on which punched straight through the heart and he ran about 300yds before getting into an opening where I quickly put another one through the triangle on his shoulder. We found him dead about 40yds into the bush.

By rights both of those animals should have hit the ground stone dead.

Sometimes, they just don't want to die.

We have a guy we call out with his dogs if we can't find a buck....The stories he has to tell about how far these deer can go are incredible! I've run beside him many times only to find the buck "stone cold dead" far from where it was shot with what should have been a clean quick kill.....but never if they were shot through both shoulders!

I have seen animals I have killed run off a ways too including a bear which I shot with two slugs at 13 feet, first shot emulsified his lungs second shot blew his liver out, he was a 400 lbs. black bear and ran quite a ways before he piled up. Trust me I understand your points of view and experiances, still I will never shoot a deer, moose or elk in the shoulders. Like I said earlier I hate wasting good meat.

On the other hand if I were guiding people like you guys are and was bringing multiple hunters out that I did not know personally and had now idea how they shoot at live animals and only saw them shoot at a paper target pre-hunt, then I could see myself demanding that they take a shoulder shot.

I can also say this with complete confidence there is not a guide on earth that would ever tell me how or when to shoot an animal. If I were to go on a guided hunt again, the guide would be instructed not talk or say anything when I was concentrating on my shot, after all it would be my hunt not the guides hunt.

Went on only one guided elk hunt to date. While we were hunting the guide was in front of me walking. I asked him why was he taking the lead, he responded "because I am guiding you". I told him that he was hired to put me in the general vicinity of where the animals were, and that I was the guy doing the hunting, and I would prefer it if I took the lead, which I did.

But that is just me, to each his own :)

I used a 7mm rem mag and 150gr Nosler Ballistic Silver tips. The shot landed dead center in the chest where I was aiming. I didnt open him up but I could smell it had gone into the stomach. He was standing 150-160 yards away when I sent the shot.

It was the first and the last time I'll take a frontal chest shot. Taking out the shoulders is what I've found to be most effective.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.