Heads up on ELD-X

I used a 7mm rem mag and 150gr Nosler Ballistic Silver tips. The shot landed dead center in the chest where I was aiming. I didnt open him up but I could smell it had gone into the stomach. He was standing 150-160 yards away when I sent the shot.

It was the first and the last time I'll take a frontal chest shot. Taking out the shoulders is what I've found to be most effective.

That's fine buddy, I have killed over 130 big game animals, retrieved all but 2. When I take a frontal shot I aim at the throat/neck, instant death. I respect everyone here, I will not argue the point anymore.

Like I said to each his or her own. :) gun)

PS: I will post the picture of the giant moose I kill this year in October on this thread, guaranteed it will be either a double lung, heart, neck or head shot.

Shoot enough of them and sooner or later you'll see several.

Sometimes I think they simply don't realize they are dead, other times I think it's that they are so hopped up with testosterone and natural cortisol from all the fightig and sometimes I think it's just totally inexplicable.

Years ago I shot what then was the biggest hog of my career, a big, nasty black boar with a long silver stripe up his nose and down his back.

At 400yds I laid an absolute perfect shot on his right shoulder, broadside, with a 140gr accubond in a hot 7RM. I made the shot and saw it hit as perfectly as anyone could hope for. Just between the point of the shoulder and the elbow drilling the heart and both lungs.

He makes about a 200yds circle looking for what "bit' him. Stops, looks around, and makes about a 300yds circle. Stops, and looks around, then takes off heading west like he had a rocket up his butt.

He runs about 300yds through one steep creak and up the other side and dies in the bottom of the next one some 150yds away.

We got there and opened him up and there was just nothing left inside of his chest that was recognizable at all other than the bottom half of his heart. Everything else had been turned intot red jellow.

I had to gut him right there and then went and got a horse to drag him out to the field so we could get him into the stock trailer with some considerable help.

Even at that he field dressed 590lbs.

My big stud zebra was hit the same way as I described as my preferred shot, straight on head up center of the chest just above the sternum with the 375 Ruger shooting hornady interlock 270gr.

Hit him dead smack on which punched straight through the heart and he ran about 300yds before getting into an opening where I quickly put another one through the triangle on his shoulder. We found him dead about 40yds into the bush.

By rights both of those animals should have hit the ground stone dead.

Sometimes, they just don't want to die.

My first aoudad was flattened by my first shot, for 10 minutes not so much as a twitch then he stood up and was fully alert. He took two more shots before he finally expired. I opened him up and couldn't Identify anything in the chest cavity, it was just red mush.

My first aoudad was flattened by my first shot, for 10 minutes not so much as a twitch then he stood up and was fully alert. He took two more shots before he finally expired. I opened him up and couldn't Identify anything in the chest cavity, it was just red mush.
I have no problem believing that, they too are not known for dying easy.

If you shoot enough game you're just going to see some really weird stuff from time to time.

As crazy as it sounds I watched a friend of mine years ago shoot and kill a deer and he never even hit it!

He hit a large limb that was directly between them and while the bullet never touched him he broke his neck flipping around and slamming his head into a tree after getting splashed by all of the flying wood debris.

There wasn't even a break in the skin anywhere that we could find.

I have no problem believing that, they too are not known for dying easy.

If you shoot enough game you're just going to see some really weird stuff from time to time.

As crazy as it sounds I watched a friend of mine years ago shoot and kill a deer and he never even hit it!

He hit a large limb that was directly between them and while the bullet never touched him he broke his neck flipping around and slamming his head into a tree after getting splashed by all of the flying wood debris.

There wasn't even a break in the skin anywhere that we could find.

As I said, truth is stranger than fiction. Some things you just have to see to believe. I have seen things on video and had to watch it over and over because my mind wanted to say, "No way!"

We shot a reindeer one time. 120 yards. 160 gr Barnes TSX (not TTSX) at 2980 from a 7Mag. Broadside. 2" behind the leg. Dropped in its tracks. Entry wound was a six inch hole. far side ribs bruised but no shrapnel marks. no exit. lung mush. Like we had shot a berger. Called barnes to ask what they think happened (2 emails went unanswered) and they were baffled and would get back to me... 4 years ago. Someone said blowback.

I say it is just what happens when you have shot enough game. The mysteries of hunting your entire life.
SnT
P.S. Trying the ELD-X this fall

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.