Heads up on ELD-X

I had a box of 300 win mag and 7mm mag on order from Cabelas. When the 300 win mag came in and I got home to open the box I was surprised. The brass was tarnished like it was old and a lot of them were dinged up and dented. A couple were dented pretty bad. I was not happy with the way they looked and hope that the 7mag are in better shape. I had an old box of 270 Hornady in my safe that I went and opened up to compare because I couldn't remember them being in such bad shape and they are perfect. Hope that I just happened to get a bad box but if the 7mag come in the same way I may not get any more even if my rifles happens to like them.

Have been following the ELD-X reports since this bullet was unveiled. Just thinking would be very helpful if perhaps Hornady had a technically savvy web person to monitor sites like ours. This would allow their customers a direct reply from the source. Several other bullet manufacturers reply directly to posts involving their products which are of great help. Granted Hornady produces many products, but a rep on this site and others would be welcome.

It would make it nice if they had a rep. I'm sure they do but the web is full of sites like this hard to do them all. Anyway I'm gonna order a few boxes of them for my 300 win mag. Might be a nice factory round of the accuracy is nice in my gun.

I had a box of 300 win mag and 7mm mag on order from Cabelas. When the 300 win mag came in and I got home to open the box I was surprised. The brass was tarnished like it was old and a lot of them were dinged up and dented. A couple were dented pretty bad. I was not happy with the way they looked and hope that the 7mag are in better shape. I had an old box of 270 Hornady in my safe that I went and opened up to compare because I couldn't remember them being in such bad shape and they are perfect. Hope that I just happened to get a bad box but if the 7mag come in the same way I may not get any more even if my rifles happens to like them.

This is not the first report I've read of similar issues

It surprises me that others are having similar issues. You would think that this bullet has a lot of long range potential and if that is the case a large and profitable market. I could not believe the shape the brass was in especially being a new product with no time on the shelf. The bullets were in good shape only tarnished. A little brass polish and I had them shining but the brass was still dinged. If the 7mag ammo arrives in the same condition I think I will be done with them. Unless my rifle just happens to love them then I guess I will have to buy them in the store where I can inspect each box before purchasing them.

WOW! I just received 6 boxes(140 gr ELD Match & 143 gr. ELD-X) for my 6.5 Creedmoor and they were all in perfect condition......every single one!

It surprises me that others are having similar issues. You would think that this bullet has a lot of long range potential and if that is the case a large and profitable market. I could not believe the shape the brass was in especially being a new product with no time on the shelf. The bullets were in good shape only tarnished. A little brass polish and I had them shining but the brass was still dinged. If the 7mag ammo arrives in the same condition I think I will be done with them. Unless my rifle just happens to love them then I guess I will have to buy them in the store where I can inspect each box before purchasing them.
A few seconds of buffing with a wool pad or piece of sheepskin will clean up tarnish pretty darned well.

A few seconds of buffing with a wool pad or piece of sheepskin will clean up tarnish pretty darned well.
I never thought of that. I always used a mild brass polish. I imagine 0000 steel wool would work a lot faster and probably cleaner too. Thanks for the tip.

Whenever I am in Cabela's I'll have to look to see if they have any ammo on the selves and see what it looks like. So far when ever I have been there they have not had any. Unfortunately for my wallet, I live about 5 miles from one.

I never thought of that. I always used a mild brass polish. I imagine 0000 steel wool would work a lot faster and probably cleaner too. Thanks for the tip.

Whenever I am in Cabela's I'll have to look to see if they have any ammo on the selves and see what it looks like. So far when ever I have been there they have not had any. Unfortunately for my wallet, I live about 5 miles from one.
000 or 0000 steel wool works just fine too.

Wool is just a gentler way to get there.

Stopped by Cabela's today and they happened to have some 300 win mag and 6.5 Creedmor ELD-X ammo. The 300 win mag did have a few rounds with very minor dings but no where near what the box I had shipped to the store for me. The 6.5 box was much better with hardly any dents and what it did have was very shallow. Both boxes were hardly tarnished. I opened some Hornady 308 match and superformance and both boxes were perfect and polished. Maybe I just happened to get the worst box. Now I just have to have an opportunity to see how they perform in my rifle.

I don't understand why they have any blemishes.
All maufacturing produces some blemished items. Some of the best buys in bullets are on "Blemished Bullets", usually sold generically.

In this case most likely it's just the pressure of trying to get the volume up for shipment.

How they are packaged can produce blemishes as well. If they are rubbing together instead of individually packaged you will get some rub marks in shipping.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.