Hammer bullets

Working up a load with those 110HH for the CM and so far up to 2900 with good accuracy. Will dance around the rabbit hole without diving in.
Shot this group the other day to verify my zero before my antelope hunt next week. 3048 fps from 26 inch Bartlein barrel.

IMG_0955.jpeg

Been using 117 gr Sledge Hammers out of my Pre 64 Winchester 270 the last two years. Shot 15 deer with them here in the northeast. Longest any of them went was maybe 40 yds. Most shot inside 150 yds and most shot in the heart or double lunged. Longest shot was 340 yds and was a heart shot. Went maybe 15 feet. I have been very happy with them. Muzzle velocity around 3450, easy to load, accurate and perform well on game..... what's not to like. Before the Hammers, I was using Barnes TTSX. Switching everything over to Hammers now. Plus Steve and Company have been very receptive to emails and calls to help a person out!

I've taken a couple of antelope does, which are lightly built animals, with a .300WSM shooting 124gn Hammer Hunters at about 3600 fps. One at about 70 yds, and the other at about 230 yds. Both animals dropped in their tracks. This load is like a laser beam on deer and 'lopes. The group below is at 100 yds.

The key to Hammer bullets is to shoot light-for-caliber weights, and run them as fast as you can. You'll get devastating terminal performance.

Last edited:

Recent Posts