Hammer bullets

We're working with the 338 Federal. I'm going to go on your recommendation, that being said, I just have to decide on one bullet and go with it. So far I've loaded for the 186 and the 213's. I'm going to end up with several hundred practice rounds in three different weights.
Speaking of...did you sendme back the bullets that were sticking in your seater? I'd be happy to replace that box with a box of the 225's. Then you could compare the lighter vs the heavier Sledge Hammer.

Really that 186g will do you right. There isn't a wrong answer here. The 225g will have the benefit of a higher retained weight and momentum. The 186g Will be a bit flatter shooting and easier on recoil.
So is someone said I'm going to go kill an Eland, give me you best bullet, your answer would be the 186 or the 225.

Speaking of...did you sendme back the bullets that were sticking in your seater? I'd be happy to replace that box with a box of the 225's. Then you could compare the lighter vs the heavier Sledge Hammer.
I've got to get those in the mail this week.

Last edited:
So is someone said I'm going to go kill an Eland, give me you best bullet, your answer would be the 186 or the 225.
So I ran some numbers with the 186g .338 cal Sledge Hammer vs the 225g .338 cal Sledge Hammer. Using Hodgdon data the 186g should hit a top end load at ~2700fps and the 225g at ~2450fps in the .338 Federal.

186g SH @100y- impact vel=2473 fps Energy=2526 ft/lbs
@300y- impact vel=2053 fps Energy=1741 ft/lbs
200y zero= 9" drop at 300y
Retained bullet weight will be 165g
225g SH @100y- impact vel= 2241 fps Energy= 2509 ft/lbs
@300y- impact vel= 1855 fps Energy= 1718 ft/lbs
Retained bullet weight will be 200g

If I were taking a 338 Federal for African plains game I would have it loaded with Sledge Hammers for the 90% weight retention. The choice between the 186g and the 225g are very close to each other for energy. The 186g has a slight edge here. Impact vel goes to the 186g for sure. The extra retained weight of the 225g will aid in deeper penetration. Maybe one of the math wizzes can chime in with momentum numbers.

Last edited:
It sounds like maximum penetration is going to be achieved with the 225 grain Sledge Hammers. If that's the case considering I've got to break through the shoulder of an Eland, lets go with the 225 grain bullets. I'll mail back the 213's and we can replace them with the 225 grain bullets.

It sounds like maximum penetration is going to be achieved with the 225 grain Sledge Hammers. If that's the case considering I've got to break through the shoulder of an Eland, lets go with the 225 grain bullets. I'll mail back the 213's and we can replace them with the 225 grain bullets.
I agree. I would run the heavier bullet.

I'll be looking for those 213's and get you a box of 225g Sledge Hammers out when I see them.

I agree. I would run the heavier bullet.

I'll be looking for those 213's and get you a box of 225g Sledge Hammers out when I see them.
I'm going to the post office tomorrow morning and the 213's will be in the mail. Thanks. Also, I've been using Varget for my loads. What powder do you recommend? I've got pounds of powder downstairs so I should have what you recommend. Just wondering if you've used any Vihtavuori? I've got some N160 that I've been wanting to try. I've got some RL17 that I'ved used in a few loads and it's been terrific. Great velocity, the only thing you have to be careful with is it is temperature sensitive.

Last edited:
Steve, maybe you've answered this question in another thread? Is the shank of the bullet, just forward of the bands, a bore rider?
Technically our bullets are a drive bands bullet. Because of the way the patented PDR works, the Hammer Bullets are almost a hybrid between a grooved and a banded bullet. More banded than grooved.

Recent Posts