Hammer bullets

What is the recommended minimum expansion velocity for the Hunters? Based on this pic, I'm guessing they would expand at 1500'/sec, maybe 1400?

The bullets in that pic were torture tested in a relatively dry test media. Hollow points need fluid to expand well and these were shot at the end of the testing that day so the water had pretty much drained out of my bullet trap. They're great for showing the rifling engagement but they're not a good representation of how they normally expand.

This thread is making me think I should really just switch all my rifles over to hammer bullets. The results in the one rifle I have tried them in were fantastic and it looks like nearly everyone else is having the same results as I did.
I have had the same thought.

They make rifles so accurate that I may sell some since I don't have to find a perfect rifle/load combo by playing with more than one per caliber.

I need another box of 145's for my 270WSM. I can only take 11 pounds of ammo with me to Africa and that includes the weight of the box they're packed in. I'm thinking I should be able to pack 100 rounds in total.

Varget is one of or favorite powders. I would start there.
I did my homework this morning and made a complete review of all the available powders. I've been using Varget as you mentioned but I'm going to switch to RL17 as long as I get acceptable accuracy. In terms of FPS RL17 outdoes Varget by almost 200 FPS, that's a big difference in my 270WSM pushing 145 grain bullets at almost 3,100FPS. Varget was 2900 and change.

This thread is making me think I should really just switch all my rifles over to hammer bullets. The results in the one rifle I have tried them in were fantastic and it looks like nearly everyone else is having the same results as I did.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've changed over to Hammers in all of my rifles. Devastating on game. Has destroyed any hogs I've shot. Put a 213 gr HH from my 338 Lapua through both shoulders of a mountain goat. He did a 180 when the bullet impacted and, then, fell over. Although we used the gutless method to butcher him and I didn't see the internal damage, all you could hear was sloshing sounds every time we moved him

Speaking of...did you sendme back the bullets that were sticking in your seater? I'd be happy to replace that box with a box of the 225's. Then you could compare the lighter vs the heavier Sledge Hammer.

Got my 270WSM back from the gunsmith yesterday, included was a target shooting your 145's, the rifle shot .326 at 100 yards using Varget. If I can get close to that using RL17 I'll have the right combination to take with me to Africa. I need another box of 145's I'm out. I've got to do ladder tests with RL17.

202B9BAB-78C3-4E41-8862-34E8E45CBED1.jpeg

Shot this group at 200 yards today off of a bipod and rear bag. .849 at 200 yards so sub .5 moa. Stock browning long range stalker in 300 win mag. Haven't even adjusted the trigger down. Also the rifle is very new so I don't know if the barrel is even broke all the way in yet. Total rounds of load devolpment was less than 40. Hammers might be expensive up front but will save me a lot of money when you can get them to shoot and group this quick and easily. And I don't consider myself a good shooter or expert reloader(only been reloading for about a year). To say I'm excited is an understatement. Can't wait to order a couple hundred more tomorrow!

View attachment 127056
Shot this group at 200 yards today off of a bipod and rear bag. .849 at 200 yards so sub .5 moa. Stock browning long range stalker in 300 win mag. Haven't even adjusted the trigger down. Also the rifle is very new so I don't know if the barrel is even broke all the way in yet. Total rounds of load devolpment was less than 40. Hammers might be expensive up front but will save me a lot of money when you can get them to shoot and group this quick and easily. And I don't consider myself a good shooter or expert reloader(only been reloading for about a year). To say I'm excited is an understatement. Can't wait to order a couple hundred more tomorrow!
Just ordered 150 more. **** you Steve and your high quality bullets!

Got my 270WSM back from the gunsmith yesterday, included was a target shooting your 145's, the rifle shot .326 at 100 yards using Varget. If I can get close to that using RL17 I'll have the right combination to take with me to Africa. I need another box of 145's I'm out. I've got to do ladder tests with RL17.
Any reason you are not sticking with Varget if it shot well?

Any reason you are not sticking with Varget if it shot well?

Yes, I haven't given up on Varget but RL17 will give almost 200 FPS more than Varget. If I can get that type of increase in FPS and have it shoot close to what I'm getting now, I'd be crazy to pass on the increased velocity.

RL17 has been one of my go to powders because of the velocity it provides. Historically I've always gotten great results accuracy wise. I don't know what my shots are going to be like in Africa so I want to obtain the flatist trajectory possible. For that you need speed.