Hammer bullets

Steve:

I'm going to Africa for a plains game hunt, using my 270WSM as well as my 338 Federal. Which bulllet, the 145grain or the 156 grain would you recommend for my 270WSM?
I am assuming that your rifle is a 1-10" twist and that your shots will be under 400y.

I would load the 145g Sledge Hammer and it will give the penetration necessary for even the big plains game. Dave Tenney just sent me a note from South Africa that he just shot a Zebra with his 7wsm using our 131g Hammer Hunter at 40y and dropped it where it stood. I did not get particulars on the shot, but I am sure it was through the shoulders, as that is his preferred shot.

Just got a box of 338's in 186grain delivered. I have 20 of them loaded so far and they are loading nicely. They are half the length of the 213's. I'll put an order in for the 145 grain 270's then. I'm going to have enough cartridges for half of Africa!

Steve:

I'm going to Africa for a plains game hunt, using my 270WSM as well as my 338 Federal. Which bulllet, the 145grain or the 156 grain would you recommend for my 270WSM?
I'd use the 145 gr Sledge Hammer in your 270. If I remember correctly, Steve and the gang had a 270 (I know they had a 257 Weatherby) in camp when they went to Africa and used the Sledge Hammers with excellent (and typical) results. I'm sure Steve will chime in.
I asked Steve a question the other day about performance and which he preferred---A high velocity lower grain bullet or a slower heavier grain bullet. Steve said he likes high velocity with the lower grain bullets. Great terminal performance. Although, he did say there is no wrong answer either

I still can't make up my mind with the 338 Federal; I've got both the 213's and the 186 grain bullets, this gun will be primarily for the Eland. Too many choices! The 186 grain bullets will definitely give me substantially more velocity. What I need is exceptional penetration. Those animals can go 2,000 pounds, they're three times the size of an Elk.

Last edited:
Have you mocked up a 213 to see if it fits in the magazine? If so, get a photo and post it.
The problem is I haven't been able to seat any bullets because of the problem with bullets getting stuck in the seating die. I can take a bullet with a pair of pliers and see if I can seat one manually and then take a picture of it.

The problem is I haven't been able to seat any bullets because of the problem with bullets getting stuck in the seating die. I can take a bullet with a pair of pliers and see if I can seat one manually and then take a picture of it.
OK.

Even if you measure it and compare to another bullet you've loaded, I think you will find it is too long. Just my thoughts.

OK.

Even if you measure it and compare to another bullet you've loaded, I think you will find it is too long. Just my thoughts.

I put one together using a vise and a block of wood to protect the tip. You have to seat them deep and they fill the entire magazine but they do work. I'll try to take a picture this afternoon and show the dummy cartridge next to a standard size.

IMG_0010.JPG This is a picture of the 338 with the 213 and the other on the right for comparison is a Federal Core Lock. The difference in length is 2.80 and 3.00.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo.

Any chance you can show one in the magazine?

You've got to understand who you're dealing with; I'm technologically handicapped! The fact that I was able to download one picture is amazing. I don't do well when it comes to working with computers and phones.
I'll try to take a picture later on and see if I can get the inside of the magazine. Just to let you know there was plenty of room in the magazine for the cartridges and I'm not fully seated, I could seat the bullet deeper to another band with.

You still have one more drive band that you can seat deeper. Basically to the shoulder if you need the space in the magazine.

That's great to know, there's plenty of room in the magazine as it is. I prefer seating my bullets closer to the lans, I don't want any jump if I can avoid it. Where it is now, it's not a compressed load, I don't want any spikes in velocity or pressure.

I still can't make up my mind with the 338 Federal; I've got both the 213's and the 186 grain bullets, this gun will be primarily for the Eland. Too many choices! The 186 grain bullets will definitely give me substantially more velocity. What I need is exceptional penetration. Those animals can go 2,000 pounds, they're three times the size of an Elk.

If I am chasing eland with my 338fed (and I wish I was!) I am looking for more weight, not trying to squeeze another 100fps out of a moderate size case at the expense of retained weight down range.

I would have you entertain the idea of going to the 236gr hammer. Ive tested these in my 338fed, and would be more confident with them then the other 2 mentioned weights. If you have Steve run the numbers for you with the high BC of the 236 you will maintain more velocity at longer range than the other 2 lower weights that slow down quicker.

This is a LONG RANGE board but if you say your shot will be close then its a no brainier, you don't need speed, you need penetration and WEIGHT WINS with big game especially in a federal size case on Eland size critters!

I have done penetration tests with wet phone books and milk jugs and the 236gr was far superior to the 213gr. The 236 expanded well and retained a nice base around 180gr while the 213 completely fragmented to a 60gr base. I didnt test 186gr because it seemed the wrong direction for me with big game at long range and ft lbs of energy.

I can PM bullet pics from test if you would like.

Also, if you haven't tried MR2000 powder in the 338fed, it gave be the most velocity and lowest pressure. I heard Hornady Lever Evolution was good too for higher velocity in the Fed.

Steve is an amazing business owner to work with and i highly recommend his bullets!
James